• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New funding streams for Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Currently Rugby in this country is funded by the SANZAR broadcast deal, ticket sales, sponsorships, merchandise sales and benefactors. From a financial perspective we are well behind the NRL and AFL because of their billion dollar broadcast deals. We may not ever gain a broadcast deal that will put us on a equal footing with them. Without a substantial increase in income, rugby will fall further behind in grassroots development compared to Australian Rules and Rugby League.
What are ways we can increase the sport's income?

1. Get the Wallabies to play more tests -I think they're playing too many as it is.
2. Increase the length of the super rugby season - no thanks
3. Put up the costs of sponsorship - hard to do when we're not on top of the world
4. Ask for government funding - we need to employ better lobbyists
5. Start a domestic Sevens comp to appeal to a broader audience - most revenue will probably go into funding the competition

Not all people in Rugby are wealthy (far from it), but Rugby is certainly a sport for the high end of town. How can we better tap into this? Why aren't the well heeled putting more into the game? Could it be that they don't have time to look at investing the money in the game, know where to put it or they don't trust those in the Rugby associations to use it effectively?

Perhaps a Rugby Trust Fund could be established. The fund is not part of the ARU and is privately maintained. As the 'keeper of the Code' the ARU (or the State bodies) must attempt to provide funding to all levels of the game, but when there is a short fall, the ARU provides a business case as to why it can't fund the initiative (for example employ a new development officer in a growth region) and why that initiate is required. Based on the proposal the Rugby Trust Fund may or may not provide funding to help. One caveat for providing funding may be that the organisation requesting the funding must undertake a similar governance review to what the Arbib review proposed. That may bring the State Unions, Clubs, School Associations etc. into the 21st Century.

Would benefactors be willing to put money into the fund?

Would Joe Average want to put a few dollars in?

Could a development levy of $1 (for example) be added to every ticket sale in the country. That could bring in about $60,000 a week during the Super Rugby Season.

Could the fund be set up as a charity? A charity dedicated to providing health and fitness to Australians through exercise. Would the donations be tax deductable?

So all we need are a bright spark who could set up such a funding structure and dedicated individuals to bring money into the fund.

What do you think? Is this a reasonable proposal? Perhaps it won't fly but rather than look at why it won't work, let's look at ways it can or can you suggest other ways to bring new money into the game. The future of the game is reliant on creative thinking.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
No possibility of something like this being qualified as a charity for tax purposes.

I would certainly be willing to buy an ARU membership, in addition to my club membership (Eastwood) and province (Reds).

The ARU should look at employing professional fund-raisers.

PinkRugby

Stan Wickham (3)
I would buy a Wallabies fan membership. I think the long term aim should be to replicate the same sort of concept that England have with their England Rugby Supporters Club (ERSC). 100% of the profit from this scheme goes directly to English rugby and development, something the ARU need to do.

A side benefit is that it makes it really difficult for those that don't pay for membership to get tickets to a Wallabies game and would mean the stadiums would perhaps be full of gold jerseys instead of 50/50 which is what we are seeing now.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would buy a ARU membership as well. They have one called Wallaby 1st, but it's tied in with seating at ANZ Stadium.
http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/Wallaby1st/BecomeaMember.aspx
Not that useful for those outside of Sydney or those in Sydney who are already members of the stadium. Just a fan membership would suit me.
The seating arrangement isn't confined to ANZ.
But the attraction is basically confined to being able to get good seats in Australia and average seats elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kronic

John Solomon (38)
This would essentially mean placing a cost on the My Rugby ID.

Considering our games aren't sell outs, hard to see this working.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
True, the ARU gets what they are given, but my recollection is that the ARU seats are dearer than comparable seats if bought locally.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
As this thread discusses the ARU and money I figured it's the place to put it. I was thinking that given the financial services knowledge within the ARU and Rugby Union more broadly that they would be smarter about using their money.

Here's an idea. Rather than paying vast sums of money to kids too young and often too stupid to know what to do with it; how about address the balance. Create contracts with far less upfront cash and much higher superannuation to cover them when they are no longer playing.

Eg. Rather than pay someone $200K plus 9% super why not pay them $120K with 50% super. This way they still have more money than is sensible for a 21 year old but they have greater security. It also has no impact on 3rd party deals.

The benefits are significant. It removes many opportunities to be stupid. It gives players a solid base to protect them after rugby and it gives the ARU a massive fund to invest and generate profits for rugby.

Just a thought

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Then RUPA would be exposed as moneygrubbing, self-interested, union prats with no desire in developing the game or working for the benefit of their members.

Status
Not open for further replies.