• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Year's Test - SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not only will we be fielding two left-arm quicks for the first time in 20 years, we'll also be fielding one of the ugliest bowling lineups ever by an Australian team. Bollinger has a head like a smashed crab. I thought Siddle was the ugliest ranga to ever pick up a ball, but Bollinger is right there with his advanced-hair mop too - with thanks to FoxSports:

0,5001,6424188,00.jpg

And McDonald is also a ranga! Bloody hell they'd better be firey or red-headed stepchildren all over the country are going to suffer...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24864834-23212,00.html

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Proteas unchanged
News24
Proteas name unchanged XI
Sydney - Proteas' Test squad captain Graeme Smith on Friday announced an unchanged starting XI for the third Test against Australia at the SCG, starting on Saturday.

?Ashwell Prince was not considered for selection,? he said. ?He had a net on Thursday and is still feeling pain in his thumb.

?He is hugely frustrated,? Smith said of Prince's disappointment. ?In sport you can't predict these things. He is extremely proud and happy about the way the team has performed. As vice-captain he has handled himself outstandingly in the environment and has been a great supporter of JP.

As a senior player you can't ask more of a player except to get on the field and perform and, when we get home, he knows the support he has got from us and the performances he has put in over a period of time and he will be right there to be in the reckoning to play in the Tests at home.?

One of the big talking points among the pundits has been the decision of Australia to include two left-handed seamers in Mitchell Johnson and new cap Dougie Bollinger.

?It is unusual,? commented Smith. ?Only India these days seem to have two left-handers around. Having Hilfenhaus in the squad for Melbourne and now going for Bollinger shows a certain lack of clarity in the selection process. That has surprised us. We know that it is his (Bollinger's) home ground but I guess Hilfenhaus must feel a bit hard done by.

?We have got as much information (about Bollinger) as we can. Any guy who can give 150 000 percent is somebody we are going to have to respect a bit!? he joked in reference to some of the new cap's recent utterings in the Media.

?Throughout the series we have concentrated on what we can do rather than what the opposition has thrown at us but, if we have caused a bit of uncertainty in their camp, then we will take that as a compliment that we have played well and met the challenges that we need to do.

?I think we will take that as a bit of a feather in our cap.?

Smith added that he was very happy with the preparation of the team, particularly the mental focus in maintaining concentration leading into another big game.

?Our two victories have shown up very much the frame of mind our guys are in. They have been very graceful in the victories they have had. They haven't been over the top and they have been very respectful. I think that shows the mindset of the guys.

?There is obviously a huge amount of happiness to be arriving here in Sydney 2-0 up. I guess it doesn't really sink in and you just move ahead to the next challenge. The Sydney Test match is normally a great occasion and we know that there is still a lengthy summer ahead of us against Australia.

?It is quite difficult when the first two Tests have had such great moments but I look around me and the squad appears very calm. Each bloke is hungry for a good performance. They either want to score a big hundred or take five wickets. We want to win and there is a real motivation to win the series 3-0. That opportunity hasn't come around very often for teams against Australia.

?The team is motivated and I think there is a lot of individual motivation as well. The guys want to win and put in big performances.?

South African team: Graeme Smith (capt), Neil McKenzie, Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Mark Boucher, Morne Morkel, Paul Harris, Dale Steyn, Makhaya Ntini. 12th man: Robin Peterson.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jeez our top order have zero confidence at the moment. Hayden just can't leave the fucking ball outside off!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Felt sorry for Katich - he looked in great touch, and played 1 false stroke, and got out. The others looked unsure, and Hayden showed poor foot movement throughout. Shame, but somehow inevitable I think. I loved watching Hayden at his best, but he must be gone now. Hussey just looks lik he's trying too hard almost. He should be persisted with, as he will bounce back I'm sure.
Ponting's ball was a cracker, but an awful shot (as he is prone to do early on in any innings).
SA are getting full benefit from just about every good ball they bowl at the moment, as seems to happen in this game. Mexted would call it the flow of psychic energy, and I can see his point. Hard to see us winning this, but Bollinger may be the x-factor ; he bowls very well at the SCG. Here's hoping, as I would love to see a good contest.

F

formeropenside

Hussey's non-shot to Harris' non-turning ball was dreadful - shows the depth of the hole Hussey is in.

F

formeropenside

NTA said:
Thank fuck for Pup and Notch.

I assume you are referring to Notch "Son of the Beach" Johnson?

Amazing to think that Roland Kickinger is now in Terminator 4.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Hussey just looks lik he's trying too hard almost. He should be persisted with, as he will bounce back I'm sure.

I am very concerned about Hussey's lack of form. He doesn't even look like he is able to pick the ball up at the moment. It looks like he has some sort of sight problem! This is demostrated in his catching/fielding as well - he is just all over the place out there. There was one catch he did take in the gully a few tests ago - but he looked like he was surprised he caught it, as he just didn't pick it up.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Proteas moving all that closer to the Aus first innings score. If the last four wickets produce a 100 runs they will be back in this one , no doubt.

Still dont understand the Aus pitches, the longer the tests the better it gets except Sydney. In SA you can expect some mambas along the way.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
By Day 5 it will probably settle down again Oom - this wicket has more cracks in it than usual but the weather over the last few days has been quite hot. Got up to 39C in Western Sydney today and meant to be hotter tomorrow!

Geez that was a ripper spell from Siddle - if he's given the field that allows him to bowl at the pegs, he can do some damage. Due reward for hard work.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Very hot in Western Sydney today - 40C at the Penrith weather station, yet only 26 at Sydney Airport. Gonna be HOT when I get home.... Pitch will dry out and I don't think those cracks will go away after all Oom.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
For Ponting that is a bit of a risky declaration, particularly when Australia looked to be batting pretty well at 3 for 250 before Clark fell going the tonk. Should prove to be a very exciting day tomorrow, particularly if South Africa get a few partnerships going for the remainder of tonight and throughout the final day.

Nick, there is one man that goes someway to offset the ugliness of the Australian bowling attack. Below with his karate champion girlfriend, Jessica Bratich.

2468800945-cricket-2008-allan-border-medal.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
By Satan's little black beard, Hauritz is a dud.

They were talking on the commentary why Bollinger was favoured over Hilfenhaus - Dougie has a good average at the SCG while Hilf bowls at about 90 there.

So why is Hauritz - who averages 52 - included over anyone else?

F

formeropenside

I dont think there is a fit Aussie spinner who averages under 35 or 40 across the land. All this talk of Cullen Bailey, Dan Cullen, Beau Casson, etc - I check the stats and they all average about 40. Thats ridiculous.

It doesn't help that wickets are now being prepared to last out the 5 days as a good batting track either.

I'd be thinking about a 4 pronged pace attack and more use of Katich and Clarke, myself.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
formeropenside said:
It doesn't help that wickets are now being prepared to last out the 5 days as a good batting track either.
Thats all about money I think. At least our lot will know now what kind of pitches to prepare for the Aussies.

This series is just unbelievable, heading into a cracker end in day 5. Our lot will go for a win , no doubt because a draw or lost will be the same thing for them and the fact that we still have a change may play into Pontings hands.

The question for the last day will be if our batters can apply the pressure on the newbie Aus bowlers.

Look like Nick was right afterall regarding the pitch.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I have a theory that the set up of the pitches and length of games in state cricket inhibits the development of spinners in this country. The pitches are set up to get a result within 4 days, meaning they do a lot for the quicks, particularly at the start, and due to only being 4 day matches, do less for the spinners at the end. This results in captains and coaches having less reliance on spinners to get a result, and they therefore just don't get a much of a bowl, or worse don't get picked at all.

I'm not sure what the answer is though.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
3 Overs left for SA and 1 wicket for Aus. Couldnt ask for a better end to a great series. The Proteas fighting spirit the differense between the two teams.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Geez I've gained a lot of respect for Graeme Smith this tour - what an effort to come out with a broken hand just to survive the last few overs :thumb

Hayden should immediately quit the game - dropping that catch was abominable, and he can't bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.