• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No more talk about boxing from SBW then?

He is still the current NZL heavyweight champion in one of the plethora of boxing associations isn't he?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I seem to recall that NZRU have said a couple of weeks ago they happy for him to carry on boxing, think it good for him to have different traing to keep fresh etc. Also was very interested to hear Steve Tew and Shag say today how good Koder Nasser is to deal with as a player agent, they said he very up front and doesn't play games!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is different from how many keyboard warriors have viewed Nasser over here in relation to his negotiations over some of his clientele.

Funny how reality is often different from what some keyboard warriors perceive it to be.

Haters gotta hate.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it's more about the client than the agent. If a player, let's call him Q, tables some demands that his team, let's call them R, are never going to agree to then Nasser will do precisely as instructed & do his best to get those demands met & if people call him, not Q, a hard to deal with, Machiavellian wanker he'll wear that with no complaints because that's what a good agent does.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Welsh rugby player gives birth during rugby match

--NZ Herald--

A Welsh rugby player has created medical history by being the first man ever to give birth during a rugby football match.

"It's a boy!"

georgemoala_zpst6moxkpz.jpg

"Let's call him 'George'."

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well Shag has been resigned until 2019, not too much of a surprise, NZRU have made it clear they wanted him to stay on. Was also reading before thay announced it they actually spoke to other coaches they have got their eye on to let them know, and have indicated that whoever they want to take over after Shag will be brought into the AB coaching team by 2019 WC.
Sound like good solid planning to anyone else??

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Well Shag has been resigned until 2019, not too much of a surprise, NZRU have made it clear they wanted him to stay on. Was also reading before thay announced it they actually spoke to other coaches they have got their eye on to let them know, and have indicated that whoever they want to take over after Shag will be brought into the AB coaching team by 2019 WC.
Sound like good solid planning to anyone else??

Once again, sounds like good solid planning. Although that kind of planning doesn't always work, refer to the Reds under McKenzie which planned for Richard Graham to take over.

Although having said that, I'm sure their are a many coaching candidates in NZ that will do a fine job after Hansen departs. So it's not really fair to compare any of them to Richard Graham.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Once again, sounds like good solid planning. Although that kind of planning doesn't always work, refer to the Reds under McKenzie which planned for Richard Graham to take over.

Although having said that, I'm sure their are a many coaching candidates in NZ that will do a fine job after Hansen departs. So it's not really fair to compare any of them to Richard Graham.

If the appointment is based on merit then this system is an advantage as it quickly identifies its the candidate not the process. Also the All Blacks system is pretty robust and with several pairs of experienced eyes being cast over the anointed, I think they will see the warning signs early.

RG was never a good candidate on merit.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I like the idea of next coach actually being involved in the 2019 WC, also like the idea that even when extending Hansen's contract they have spoken to who they think will be candidates for the job (assuming that is Schmidt,Cotter,Joseph,Rennie and maybe Plumtree and Boyd) to let them know what is happening, allows these other coaches to settle into their roles that they now have and they can see how they go with the teams they involved with.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think Joseph can seriously be in the running for the position come 2020. Not least because he's contacted to Japan until 2019. He's been the Highlanders coach since 2011 and has only made the semifinals twice, both in the last two seasons. Were he coaching the Blues or Crusaders with that record, he'd have been hung, drawn, and quartered some time in 2013/14 (albeit for very different reasons). Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to see how he goes in Japan without Tony Brown.

On the other candidates, Rennie is comfortably the best of the NZ franchise coaches at the moment. He has, however, indicated that he's interested in going overseas, and that he's not interested in any assistant role. So it won't be him. Gatland well and truly burned his bridges with the NZRU when he flipped the table in 2007, so he's not an option. Deans is fluffing around in Japan, but surely not even the most one-eyed and web-footed of Cantabrians would support him as a test coach again. By process of elimination, then, that leaves us with Schmidt and Cotter as the next coaching duo. I certainly wouldn't be complaining n that case.

Failing that, just about anyone except Ian Foster.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think Joseph can seriously be in the running for the position come 2020. Not least because he's contacted to Japan until 2019. He's been the Highlanders coach since 2011 and has only made the semifinals twice, both in the last two seasons. Were he coaching the Blues or Crusaders with that record, he'd have been hung, drawn, and quartered some time in 2013/14 (albeit for very different reasons). Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to see how he goes in Japan without Tony Brown.

It has been very obvious over the period 2011-2016 that:
  1. The new stadium allowed him to build a playing style that was very different to the limited gameplan forced on previous Highlander coaches by the weather conditions. (Dunedin and Invercargill open arenas in winter are all about survival, not living and playing).
  2. That he was doing the best possible with the limited resources at his disposal. He has developed a few really good players over those years so that now he has been able to build a much more skilled unit than he had in 2011.
  3. He has grown into the coaching role and has gotten to be very good at what he does.
Kudos to the Highlanders head office that they stuck with him over the early years. He has returned on their investment tenfold. Because the deep south of NZ is like the mistreated step-brother of NZ rugby he is unlikely to get equal consideration to some of the others named; but in my view he stands at the same level or in some cases higher than the other supposed candidates.
I reckon the pecking order is:
  1. Schmidt, Joseph, Rennie
  2. Cotter
  3. Plumtree, Boyd
  4. Daylight
  5. Gatland
  6. Deans

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to agree with those coaches you got there Hawko, but I suspect that Foster would be in reckoning just on the strength he is assistant coach, and the backs seem to be going alright under him. I know a lot of us aren't fans, but he seems to have good raps from senior players and other coaches.
Personally I would love to see Wayne Smith getting involved again, and taking the reins!!

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
A 31 year old Australian? Jeez. The Crusaders advantage in talent identification looks to have well and truly evaporated. Must also be somewhat disconcerting for them that A) they don't have enough quality outside backs in their academy; and B) they can no longer attract quality young external talent?

Along with drastic improvements from the other franchises (Chiefs and Blues, in particular) mayhaps their title drought, and slide down the NZ franchise rankings, is contributing to a loss of prestige?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Digby Ioane thanked Robbie Deans for helping line up the deal.

I reckon it might be a lifeline for Diggers because he was struggling to get any interest from elsewhere.

Will be interesting to see if he's still up to it. I have my doubts.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The Crusaders advantage in talent identification looks to have well and truly evaporated.

mrburns_excellent1.JPG

Must also be somewhat disconcerting for them that A) they don't have enough quality outside backs in their academy;

mrburns_excellent1.JPG

and B) they can no longer attract quality young external talent

Along with drastic improvements from the other franchises (Chiefs and Blues in particular)

burns.gif

Oops, hold on, 2016 now, Blues back on course, try this one:

mrburns_excellent1.JPG

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Dig by shoulda gone home to the Horrorcanes, straight swap with Cory Jane:)

Not a good start from Razor recruitment-wise IMO, aren't his knees shot?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Forwards:
Hookers
Dane Coles (Wellington / Hurricanes, 39) ribs must be rooted, surely, Harris to start
Codie Taylor (Canterbury / Crusaders, 5)
Nathan Harris (Bay of Plenty / Chiefs, 4)

Props
Wyatt Crockett (Canterbury / Crusaders, 48)
Charlie Faumuina (Auckland / Blues, 36)
Owen Franks (Canterbury / Crusaders, 80)
Joe Moody (Canterbury / Crusaders, 14)
Ofa Tu'ungafasi (Auckland / Blues, 1) fucking hell, how does this even continue to happen

Locks
Brodie Retallick (Hawke's Bay / Chiefs, 50)
Luke Romano (Canterbury / Crusaders, 24)
Patrick Tuipulotu (Auckland / Blues, 9)
Samuel Whitelock (Canterbury / Crusaders, 75)

Loose Forwards
Sam Cane (Bay of Plenty / Chiefs, 34)
Elliot Dixon (Southland / Highlanders, 1) Luatua in camp, hopefully kicks arse
Jerome Kaino (Auckland / Blues, 69)
Kieran Read, captain (Canterbury / Crusaders, 87)
Ardie Savea (Wellington / Hurricanes, 2)
Liam Squire (Tasman / Highlanders, 1) bloody hell its hard to get dropped

Matt Todd a WTG "please dont go overseas just yet please" selection

Backs:

Halfbacks
Tawera Kerr-Barlow (Waikato / Chiefs, 21)
TJ Perenara (Wellington / Hurricanes, 19)
Aaron Smith (Manawatu / Highlanders, 50)

First five-eighths
Beauden Barrett (Taranaki / Hurricanes, 39)
Aaron Cruden (Manawatu / Chiefs, 39)
Lima Sopoaga (Southland / Highlanders, 2)

Midfielders
Ryan Crotty (Canterbury / Crusaders, 18)
Malakai Fekitoa (Auckland / Highlanders, 15) shit they are loyal because this guy has been cack. Has to be the last guy on the bench among this lot
George Moala (Auckland / Blues, 2) holds out Tamanivalu, who's invited to camp to carry George's shit around
Sonny Bill Williams (Counties Manukau / Chiefs, 33) fuck me, waltzes straight back in, no surprise of course but shit man, kind of fuck this guy

A.Lienert-Brown in camp

Outside backs
Israel Dagg (Hawke's Bay / Crusaders, 51)
Waisake Naholo (Taranaki / Highlanders, 6)
Julian Savea (Wellington/ Hurricanes, 43)
Ben Smith (Otago / Highlanders, 51)

McKenzie & Melani Nanai WTG. (Nanai in after James Lowe shat the bed in the semi?)

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
1 Whitelock's mum

2 Whitelock's dad

3 Whitelock's nana

4 Sam Whitelock

5 Scott Barrett

6 Kane Barrett

7 George Whitelock

8 Luke Whitelock

9 A.Smith

10 B.Barrett