• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thoughts on the hooker pecking order?

1. Coles (by some margin)
2. Taylor
3. ?????
4. ?????

Could be important if Coles' concussion symptoms persist too much longer....

Similarly with the props:

1. Franks
2. Moody
3. Faumuina
4. Crockett
5. Tu'ungafasi (?)
6. ?????

Harris is probably 3rd choice and has even been 2nd choice when fit.

Coltman has been in the AB camp and I reckon if they got desperate an SOS to Hika (who will play for the Maori).

On the props, Laulala and Goodes probably in that next rung after those front 5.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Totally off-topic BUT I was in Te Kuiti for work today & was horrified to see that they've replaced this kiwi classic:

IMG_0707.JPG

With this CGI-like shite (not the actual sign but same wording etc):

IMG_0745.JPG

Sacrilege! It's like going to Bowral & there's no mention of Bradman..................

I can report, though, that there's still a decent sized pic of Colin & Stan in their AB pomp (v Bokke, I think, it being in B&W) in the corner of Rugby Park nearest the main road.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Totally off-topic BUT I was in Te Kuiti for work today & was horrified to see that they've replaced this kiwi classic:

View attachment 9234

View attachment 9235

Sacrilege! It's like going to Bowral & there's no mention of Bradman......

I can report, though, that there's still a decent sized pic of Colin & Stan in their AB pomp (v Bokke, I think, it being in B&W) in the corner of Rugby Park nearest the main road.

Geex WOB, what the hell is the world coming too?? Man will have to consider not drinking Tui when I go back for Lion/Blues game!!

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
More important than any player comings and goings, Wayne Smith has announced that he'll be stepping aside following the RC.

Smith on Friday announced he would be finishing up as an assistant coach with Steve Hansen's All Blacks at the end of the Rugby Championship.

"Everyone understands this is a pretty high-pressure job – the stakes are high, the scrutiny is high, and it's the sort of job you take seriously," he began when asked two simple words: 'why now?'. The jersey is like a precious jewel to me and you've got to keep shining it. To do that you've got to stay hungry and if I'm honest with myself I'd say I'm losing a bit of that absolute hunger and drive that the job demands."

"You can be assured I've got enough for the next few months but I don't want to get to the point where it becomes a drag."

"I see it as a win-win. It's a win for me and my family to step away a wee bit. But I think it will be a win for the All Blacks too. It's a chance to get one of these great young coaches we've got coming through to add a bit of freshness and hunger."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-to-finish-after-20-years-with-the-all-blacks

While he has certainly earned his retirement, I will hold out hope that he'll sign back on for the 2019 RWC.

Guess we can also begin speculating over who his replacement will be.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Geex WOB, what the hell is the world coming too?? Man will have to consider not drinking Tui when I go back for Lion/Blues game!!

There are far, far better reasons to consider not drinking Tui. Reason #1: it's Tui :)

Who do we like as Shag's new AC? Too soon for either Tana or Razor, Rennie & Brown are off o/s & rumour has it Boyd doesn't "do" the AC thing. Plumtree, maybe?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
There are far, far better reasons to consider not drinking Tui. Reason #1: it's Tui :)

Who do we like as Shag's new AC? Too soon for either Tana or Razor, Rennie & Brown are off o/s & rumour has it Boyd doesn't "do" the AC thing. Plumtree, maybe?

I heard Smith say earlier in year he thought Plumtree had some real good defensive ideas, and I think he mentioned someone else whose name escapes me at moment

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

View attachment 9234

View attachment 9235

Sacrilege! It's like going to Bowral & there's no mention of Bradman......

Turns out they're putting up a statue & unveiling it on 19 June which is a Monday. I don't work Mondays so may have to drive down for what will be Meads' final public appearance.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11859426

Akula

Herbert Moran (7)
Lion Brown is way better than Tui!
Thinking I might drive to TE Kuiti from Wellington to see that statue. The great Pinetree!

Akula

Herbert Moran (7)
Not surprised to see Wayne Smith look to finish up. 60 years old and still has plenty to offer but I suspect it will be in bits and bobs from here on rather than committing to a team full time. I'm sure there will be a few Japanese clubs who would love to get him in for a week or two at a time.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I heard Smith say earlier in year he thought Plumtree had some real good defensive ideas, and I think he mentioned someone else whose name escapes me at moment

I've now seen a coupla articles touting "the other" Scott McLeod, too..........

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Jeez you said it there Zero. Can’t stand the whole tenured accession tracking the AB players and coaches have these days. Unfortunately though, it seems to be working brilliantly. Cane is the next captain and thus it has been ordained so virtually since Mccaw was in his pomp. But Foster? WFT is that shit? Guides the Chiefs to 10th and 11th, leaves, hello, next season its Rennie, back-to-back champions. So fucking what if Hansen says Foster's next. Who the fuck does he think he is? Enough of this cigar smoke & snifter backroom Godfather shit.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
DP, Fozzie did take the Chiefs to the finals. His selections were his downfall, but they select by committee in the ABs and no doubt since 2012 being around Hansen and Smith he will have learned a thing or two.