• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IMG_0759.JPG

A little off-topic but Eden Park's days may finally be numbered:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/94595186/eden-park--the-fortress-no-one-wants

Shoulda built the waterfront stadium back in 2009-11, I never could see the sense in spending all that money on an upgrade when they're still only allowed 21 (!) "night events" per year, meaning anything that finishes after (I think) 8pm.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
A waterfront stadium, as put forward last time, would be unused 99% of the time, so would do nothing but continue to cut off the CBD from the harbour. Something like a Quay Park stadium would be much, much better.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fair call, plus I guess the yachties will be wanting all the waterfront they can get now that ETNZ has won the Americas Cup. So are the Vector Arena site in the 2016 article you posted & the Spark Arena site referenced in the article I posted one & the same? Not that I really care where it's built, as long as it is built.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep. Vector and Spark Arena are one and the same, just a sponsorship name change. It's the only viable site, short of demolishing a bunch of buildings and/or parkland.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
30 years of Wallabies players will offer to help with the demolition free of charge.

The hoodoo being so strong, they'd probably end up making the old girl look like she's just been upgraded again :)

Yep. Vector and Spark Arena are one and the same, just a sponsorship name change. It's the only viable site, short of demolishing a bunch of buildings and/or parkland.

Awesome. Like I said, I don't care where so long as it's done (back in '98ish I signed the petition calling for the Wellington Waterfront Stadium to be built & moments later the petition saying it should be at Aotea (Porirua) instead :))

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
No problem at all with that. Also allows J. Barrett to get an extended run at fullback. If he does well enough, then I wouldn't be surprised if they look at switching Smith to the wing and use someone like Ioane/Naholo off the bench.

I, for one, would not be at all upset if that situation came to pass.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
On a related note, there's also NH speculation that Damian Mckenzie will be joining Leicester after Super Rugby 2018. Apparently the source is quite reliable on these matters. Given that Cruden is already gone, and B.Smith will do done after RWC 2019, I'd be disappointed if this is true.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I would be mildly disappointed Zer0, but I firmly believe if a player sees his future overseas for whatever reason, I am not convinced he is a huge loss to NZ rugby!

Akula

Herbert Moran (7)
Ben Smith taking a sabbatical from all accounts but not until the Bledisloe is back in the trophy cabinet!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On a related note, there's also NH speculation that Damian Mckenzie will be joining Leicester after Super Rugby 2018. Apparently the source is quite reliable on these matters. Given that Cruden is already gone, and B.Smith will do done after RWC 2019, I'd be disappointed if this is true.

With Cruden gone he's got a golden opportunity to own the Chiefs 10 jersey & see where that takes him, Shag has pretty much said that's where his future lies.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't recall ever seeing the IRB rule any of these blatant ban dodging matches as ineligible before. So, I guess the question is, is this the start of a new (and welcomed) practice? Or just another Brett Gosper special?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't recall ever seeing the IRB rule any of these blatant ban dodging matches as ineligible before. So, I guess the question is, is this the start of a new (and welcomed) practice? Or just another Brett Gosper special?

The ban happened in a test match that wasn't a SANZAAR match so World Rugby is the relevant governing body.

Also, the changes regarding not counting byes and restricting club games from counting have only commenced this year.