• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
DGl_xgmUIAAfDVW.jpg:large

Ripe for the picking, IMHO. Looks very weak.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Given that he'll be 33 in 2019, I'm not sure what the point there is in selecting Romano over someone like Tuipulotu.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
While I, personally, think he's the best option, it doesn't necessarily have to be Tuipulotu. Hence why I said "someone like Tuipulotu". More that it would make more sense select a younger player who has the potential to occupy one of the reserve lock spots for 2019.

I doubt that a 33 year old journeyman in Luke Romano will be that guy.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think perhaps they are not rushing any young ones in and messing them up before they ready, not sure if any young locks screaming pick me just yet. I know he got young Moli in as 'apprentice' in props, and maybe they just taking time over locks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They've got Scott Barrett involved who has played 8 tests.

My guess is that another reasonably young one will come in instead of Romano when they identify someone as being ready or compelling from a longer term perspective.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The problem I think is that the match of three halves was recognised for sanctions so in that recognition it can be counted towards a ban period. So the right decision when all things are considered. I'm not a fan of it though but penalties aren't easy to administer given the multi-tiered nature of rugby and different comps, series etc.

You're*

Bob McCowan (2)
Given that he'll be 33 in 2019, I'm not sure what the point there is in selecting Romano over someone like Tuipulotu.

Because it's not all about the future. He's the best guy for the job now, so he deserves to be there. Sure if there was a young guy equally sticking his hand up then you'd go with him, but there's not. Tuipolotu needs to prove himself first, and there aren't too many other quality young locks running around at the moment. Besides, the top 3 (Retallick, Whitelock and Barrett) will no doubt be around in 2019 anyway so our bases are well covered and therefore developing another young lock for the World Cup isn't really a priority.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
And Havili has been elevated into the full squad ahead of Mckenzie, who will have to wait until Smith heads off to file his tax returns.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well he did play in the Counties B trial match, which supposedly he was never going to do. Obviously he would of played in the game of 3 halves, so he has obviously actually has stood down the matches required, regardless of whether we like it or not. Still prefer Crotty/ALB midfield myself, but I am sure Shag and the team will know who they want and how they will play it etc.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Probably no apprentice on the EOYT:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-take-an-apprentice-on-end-of-year-rugby-tour

I can't find it reported anywhere but I'm sure I also heard Shag say that TKB will tour which to me is an opportunity missed in terms of giving a young guy (Bryn Hall for mine) a crack two years out from RWC rather than one.

With NMS joining JBarrett & Dagg on the long-term injury list & Smith on sabbatical there will presumably be at least one new outside back, maybe zer0 will get his Matt Duffie wish fulfilled?

Similarly with Franks & Moody out of the picture for a while there's probably a need for at least one more prop beyond those used in TRC but who?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Michael Ala'alatoa?

Don't think he's eligible yet but my Chiefs source did tell me that they & NZRU were very keen on him, NZRU not so much now that their #1 target, Tyrel Lomax, has been signed (apparently Chiefs would've needed NZRU assistance to get him up from the CruSadists so with NZRU no longer actively going after him that may not happen).

Dan,

JTA I can see but Moli? Granted I know less about props & scrums than Shiggins does grammar & syntax but, still, Moli?

You're*

Bob McCowan (2)
Moli is a real talent. When Franks moves on, he'll be the guy to take over imo. His scrummaging is excellent for his age and he is very good around the park. I presume they'll take 6 props so with Ofa, Hames, Crocket and Laulala the only lock-ins they could well take both Moli and JTA. Also worth considering Manu and Perry. Personally I'd go with Moli and Manu, but I doubt they will. Those last couple propping spots really are a tough one... you could even consider the likes of Ta'avau, Eves and Fidow at a stretch...

As for the outside backs..... we've got Ioane, Naholo, Dmac and Havili locked in. There will be room for 2 more at the least, possibly even 3. Probably 2 though. For me, they should definitely be Duffy and Savea.
Guys also worth consideration are Tamanivalu, Li, Bridge, Alaimalo and Nanai..

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Those last couple propping spots really are a tough one. you could even consider the likes of Ta'avau, Eves and Fidow at a stretch.
I'm not convinced about Ta'avao and I'd be surprised if he toured but I think Fidow is an interesting long term prospect.