• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Reece can bugger off. Another flashy pants strike winger with poor defence, and probably dubious under the high ball to boot. Plus, you know, the whole domestic assault thing.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Reece can bugger off. Another flashy pants strike winger with poor defence, and probably dubious under the high ball to boot. Plus, you know, the whole domestic assault thing.
Yeah he's a total poach. Thing is he played so well he pretty much embarrassed Naholo right out of the squad.

also the DV thing, ffs, it's a righteous and pious "no dickheads" policy..... right up until some dude displays a preternatural ability to convert half chances in the corner

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Happy with that squad.

Really pleased with the new blood at loose forward and outside back.

Have no problem with Akira being left out as this time Hansen has made it perfectly clear exactly why - fitness. I think Akira needs to leave the Blues for his own development.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I pretty keen to see how Jacobson goes, he can play all 3 loose forward positions, so could be a handy player to have. Mind you I like the whole squad, by geez there is some talent out wide!!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Most surprising omission for me is Lomax, thought he'd had a good year but obviously not quite good enough. Surprised also they didn't name another utility or outside back, as things stand one of Ennor, Bridge or Reece is going to BA which as recently as Sunday was something they were going to avoid.

Most surprising inclusion definitely Aumua, thought Harris would bolt in.

Squire pulling out I think might be more to do with the "personal issues" that saw him miss a match rather than his injury run although the two could be related, he wouldn't be the first guy to get so frustrated by injury that things start going hay-wire off the field as well.

I know Reece will cop plenty of scrutiny for the DV issue but they've shown in the past that they're willing to give a guy a second chance while at the same time making it clear there won't be a third. Not sure I'd call him a poach, either, he came to NZ aged 16 & played both 1st XV (Hamilton Boys) & Club (Melville) footy before being brought in the Waikato setup.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maori AB squad for home & away matches with Fiji:

FORWARDS

Hookers:
Ash Dixon - Ngāti Tahinga (Hawke's Bay/Highlanders).
Nathan Harris - Ngāti Apakura /Tainui (Bay of Plenty/Chiefs).

Props:
Tyrel Lomax - Ngāi Tuhoe/Muaupoko (Tasman/Highlanders).
Ben May - Ngāti Maniapoto (Hawke's Bay/Hurricanes).
Marcel Renata - Ngāti Whānaunga/Ngāi Takoto (Auckland/Blues).
Ross Wright - Ngāti Whatua/Ngāti Porou (Northland/Blues).

Locks:

Tom Franklin - Ngāti Maniapoto (Bay of Plenty/Highlanders).
Pari Pari Parkinson - Te Whānau ā Apanui (Tasman/Highlanders).
Isaia Walker-Leawere - Ngāti Porou (Hawke's Bay/Hurricanes).

Loose Forwards:
Whetukamokamo Douglas - Ngāti Porou/Ngati Whakaue (Canterbury/Crusaders).
Elliot Dixon - Ngāpuhi (Southland/Highlanders).
Akira Ioane - Ngāpuhi/Te Whānau ā Apanui (Auckland/Blues).
Mitchell Karpik - Rongomaiwahine/Ngāti Kahungunu (Bay of Plenty/Chiefs).
Reed Prinsep - Te Rārawa (Canterbury/Hurricanes).

BACKS:

Halfbacks:
Bryn Hall - Ngāti Ranginui (North Harbour/Crusaders).
Jonathan Ruru - Ngāti Kahungunu/Rongomaiwāhine (Auckland/Blues)
Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi - Ngāti Pikiao (Taranaki/Chiefs).

First five-eighths:
Otere Black - Ngāi Tuhoe/Te Whānau ā Apanui/Ngāti Tūwharetoa (Manawatu/Blues).
Jackson Garden-Bachop - Ngāti Awa (Wellington/Hurricanes).
Fletcher Smith - Ngāti Kahungunu (Waikato/Hurricanes).

Midfielders:
Alex Nankivell - Ngāpuhi (Tasman/Chiefs).
Rob Thompson - Ngāti Kahungunu/Ngā Rauru (Manawatu/Highlanders).
Teihorangi Walden - Te Atiawa (Taranaki/Highlanders).

Outside backs:
Jordan Hyland - Ngāi Tahu (Northland/Highlanders).
Shaun Stevenson - Ngāpuhi (North Harbour/Chiefs).
Sean Wainui - Ngāi Tuhoe/Ngāti Porou (Taranaki/Chiefs).

Māori All Blacks Schedule:
V Fiji
Saturday 13 July 2019
ANZ Stadium, Suva
V Fiji
Saturday 20 July 2019
Rotorua International Stadium

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

You haven't watched too many games if you think he has no defence!!
Mind you I been watching him a bit since nephew played with him and Melville, and told me to keep eye on him, reckoned he had the goods! As for the DV thing, I glad he got stood down etc, but f*** me he has gone off the piss and pretty well kept nose clean as, once again, from someone who knows him who reckons he the quietest and well behaved bugger generally when out with boys, I not sure you picking right reasons to not like him being there.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some basic stats would indicate that Reece's defence is significantly worse than the other likely wingers in the squad (his direct competitors). I've also included Koroibete as an example of a player generally accepted to be a poor defender.

Capture.PNG

Note, TKL is 'tackle attempts' which is just successful tackles + missed tackles.

Overall Reece attempted fewer tackles than every one of his competitors, bar Smith (who, in his defence, played >200 fewer minutes than Reece), and missed more tackles than any of them. Given two of his Crusaders team mates are in this group, I don't think much can be put down to systematic differences between the different franchises. In terms of contributions, for every ten minutes of rugby played, Reece could be expected to make 0.34 tackles, which translates to 2.74 tackles per 80 minutes of rugby. That compares poorly to everyone, including Koroibete.

I also chucked in the standard deviations (bar minutes, which didn't seem that relevant), which aren't too kind to him either. They indicate that Reece has -- for this Super Rugby season -- contributed significantly less on defence than any of his competitors. Seems somewhat ironic given Hansen the Hutt's wombling on about work rate in regards to A.Ioane. But then the Large One is pretty accustomed to double standards and hypocrisy.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
As for the DV thing, I glad he got stood down etc, but f*** me he has gone off the piss and pretty well kept nose clean as, once again, from someone who knows him who reckons he the quietest and well behaved bugger generally when out with boys, I not sure you picking right reasons to not like him being there.

Wouldn't surprise me. If you're out with a bunch of young guys in town, and end up causing trouble, you're likely to get into a confrontation with other young guys who can fight back. Or bouncers. Or the long d*ck of the law. No, no. Far easier to beat up a lone woman who will have next to no chance of retaliating.

I've had the misfortune of knowing similar cowards like that from high school.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Wouldn't surprise me. If you're out with a bunch of young guys in town, and end up causing trouble, you're likely to get into a confrontation with other young guys who can fight back. Or bouncers. Or the long d*ck of the law. No, no. Far easier to beat up a lone woman who will have next to no chance of retaliating.

I've had the misfortune of knowing similar cowards like that from high school.

Yep and couldn't agree more zer0, and hate men who do it, and in no way condoning it, only things I will add and then leave it,
1 I don't really like the idea of wiping anyone out for life for one cock up. if they have made genuine attempts to fix themselves, and believe Reece (and his partner) have both given up the piss since incident.
2 And more importantly from my understanding, there was no beating up of a woman, and the reason he was actually dismissed without conviction if he hadn't maybe done what he had done it would of ended up with someone being in real big trouble. He was pissed and f***ed up how he handled getting her out of situation.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I also chucked in the standard deviations (bar minutes, which didn't seem that relevant), which aren't too kind to him either. They indicate that Reece has -- for this Super Rugby season -- contributed significantly less on defence than any of his competitors. Seems somewhat ironic given Hansen the Hutt's wombling on about work rate in regards to A.Ioane. But then the Large One is pretty accustomed to double standards and hypocrisy.
Fair enough in those stats zer0, but think perhaps they actually watch the game and don't normally pick of stats. I can't say I ever really noticed a huge defensive problem with him, and no doubt if he does show it while in AB squad he won't make WC squad, which is fair enough I think. Suspect that he and Bridge maybe fighting for one wing spot come WC.
Akira is a pretty different story as he already been in AB squads and camps (including this year?), and they have seen close up what he's like with fitness and work ethic. I mean anyone watching can see how much he has faded this year, prehaps because he has played too much , or as indicated maybe he a bit slack on fitness in preseason.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
The injury struggles of veteran All Blacks midfielder Sonny Bill Williams continue. The oft-crocked 33-year-old second five-eighths has pulled up with a tight hamstring at the All Blacks training camp in Auckland and is in some doubt for the opening test of the year against Argentina in Buenos Aires on July 20.

Williams missed a large chunk of the Blues' Super Rugby campaign after undergoing a knee procedure, and only made it back on the field for their last match of the season. He made an appearance for Ponsonby in Auckland club rugby last Saturday in order to get some much-needed game-play under his belt.

Last year he played just six tests for the All Blacks and made only a handful of appearances for the Blues after suffering wrist, knee and shoulder ailments that restricted his availability.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...for-rugby-championship-test-against-argentina

Both Crotty and Williams are injured?

C5RXVrS.gif

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ well yeah he can't exactly rock up & expect to be the starting 10 now, can he. I mean, what with all the quality 10's on your roster......

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd rather a 23/24/26 year old with a further two years of development, than a 30+ year old fullback with fading pace.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Beaudie 10 Plummer 12 Perofeta 15.

That will work.

Beaudie is not a silver bullet signing but it's a good signing.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'd rather a 23/24/26 year old with a further two years of development, than a 30+ year old fullback with fading pace.

You got that with Perofeta and Plummer I reckon zer0, might be handy for them to learn something playing behind BB

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Most surprising omission for me is Lomax, thought he'd had a good year but obviously not quite good enough. Surprised also they didn't name another utility or outside back, as things stand one of Ennor, Bridge or Reece is going to BA which as recently as Sunday was something they were going to avoid.

Most surprising inclusion definitely Aumua, thought Harris would bolt in.
/quote]

I would of loved to see Lomax in there, they obviously figure another year or so to develop will be good, can see him as real long term AB. I can see why Aumua is there, think Coltman has cost Harris his place, and Aumua is definitely there as development to see if he can get up to speed as standby for WC.