• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Now that Aus have picked Rennie thats backed NZ into a corner I reckon.

There is NO WAY nzrfu can conscion selecting the failure whose mess the new Aus coach instantly fixed en route to immediately taking the same team to back-to-back soup titles.

Picking Foster would reduce the whole thing to some sort of benevolent, nepotistic "but its my turn" in-house losers charade.

To save face it HAS to be Razor.

(see what I did there)

Yep or they can say Foster has a: learnt a lot as coach, b; Left Rennie a team that with Wayne Smith he won a couple of super titles. Let's face it I still think it will come down to the coaching teams each coach comes up with, I happy with Razor or Foster , as I would of been with Rennie or JJ (my personal favourite). The people picking the new coach know a shit load more about the candidates than me anyway, so I will just go with their decision.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZHurld & stuff both reporting that Foster I mean whoever gets chosen as coach will be on an initial two year contract.

EDIT: interviews tomorrow, decision due shortly thereafter: Dec 12 a fairly popular guesstimate.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Just wanting to share my take on the Crusaders

Nice one. Hi tech pro editing skillz there.

You have a very calm voice. Understandable I suppose. I too have to try to stay calm and keep the anger and disgust from my voice when discussing the Cantabs.

Good call on Will Jordan. The boy has got IT.

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
Thanks mate! You're a champion, really appreciate it. Still learning how to edit but I'd say its way better then my first one :D January can't come soon enough haha! They'll give it a good crack.

And yeah Jordan's a freak, wish fantasy rugby on fox sports was still a thing or he was born an Aussie haha.

Nice one. Hi tech pro editing skillz there.

You have a very calm voice. Understandable I suppose. I too have to try to stay calm and keep the anger and disgust from my voice when discussing the Cantabs.

Good call on Will Jordan. The boy has got IT.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Awesome stuff, ruggy, that's as good a season preview as you'd see anywhere (minor quibble: they haven't been the Canterbury Crusaders for a long time now, in fact when they last met Tasman fielded more Crusaders players than Canterbury), esp re: the loose forwards & moreso now that Blackadder is injured.

Re: Jordan I don't know if he was maybe before your time but he reminds me very much of Christian Cullen with the way he can appear to be jogging then burn a guy on the outside if he fails to commit early enough, or step him on the inside if he commits too early. AB 14/15 within the next two years I reckon.

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
Haha thanks mate! After all these years it's never clicked there's no Canterbury in the title (Tad slow).

Now that you mention it, he is a dead ringer of Christian Cullen! I was only a young fellah but I remember watching him. 100% agree he will be an Allblack! fingers crossed he stays clear of injuries.

Again, thanks heaps appreciate it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZRPA Awards as voted by the players:

Best AB: Ardie Savea
Best Black Fern: Charmaine McMenamin
Best male 7's: Tone Ng Shui
Best female 7's: Ruby Tui
Best Super Rugby: Sevu Reece
Best M10: Chase Tiatia

Could be a pointer to the NZR Awards on Thursday night.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
25K too small to host AB tests? In that pic the stand behind the posts looks decidedly small and tinpot.

1575862398812.jpg

Anyway, at least I now have a new pic to childishly deface with my tonka toy MS-paint crayon set in the offseason

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ a while back I read somewhere that building a Westpac-sized stadium (34,500) had been costed at $600Mn & that was without a roof. Even the most die-hard of Cheechee-ratepaying Cantab/ Crusader fans would've rebelled at that to say nothing of the inevitable "yeah nah" from Wellington. So 25K it is & they'll just have to make the best of it they can.

I think a spring 2024 opening date is hopelessly optimistic unless Gov't passes legislation exempting it from the Resource Management Act (as was done for the 2010/11 Eden Park upgrade & various America's Cup projects, the key difference being of course that those were in Auckland, this is in Cheechee).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
2 year contract doesn't work, according to some of our learned friends from the Tahs thread.

How correct I mean the ABs took Shag Hansen on on a 2 year contract originally and look how that worked!!!;)

And Hansen signed his first two year extension before a test was played in the second season of the original contract.

It's an altogether pretty pointless exercise if the reason you're avoiding the four year contract in the first place is because you think you want to keep your options open in years 3 and 4.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And Hansen signed his first two year extension before a test was played in the second season of the original contract.

It's an altogether pretty pointless exercise if the reason you're avoiding the four year contract in the first place is because you think you want to keep your options open in years 3 and 4.

Yep, but alternatively if after a year you realise you have got right man I think you extend contract to make sure you keep him I suppose.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yep, but alternatively if after a year you realise you have got right man I think you extend contract to make sure you keep him I suppose.

Sure, but how much expectation is there that you're going to terminate the contract after the first year? That to me is the only reason you'd go with the two year contract.

If that is a serious consideration you're either deeply unhappy about making the appointment you are making or your organisation is in turmoil and chopping and changing coaches is a regular occurrence.

This argument/discussion has always been on the premise that if you're unhappy after two years you can switch to a different coach heading to the RWC if you've only signed them to a two year contract initially. My point is that regardless of whether you sign them to two or four years initially that coach already has a contract that runs up to the RWC well before the end of the second year and most likely before it begins.

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
Just wanting to share my take on the Crusaders, Scott Robertson would be a massive loss if Foz edges him out.

Wow good effort with the Video.

As I have posted in other threads I’m still very confident about the crusaders this year, as all teams have been gutted (is there actually a 5/8 left in Australia?) of players.

Out of all the titles the crusaders have won 2019 was the first that was primarily thanks to the backs and they have have pretty much kept that backline in tact.

As you point out the back row is the worry, especially since Blackadder is out for the season. I’d say S Barrett will play 6. Strange and Dunshea will start 4&5 and Romano off the bench.

Big ups on Will Jordan, i’d Say Reece will burn bright for a couple of years then fade, but Jordan could be the long term AB 15.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
25K too small to host AB tests? In that pic the stand behind the posts looks decidedly small and tinpot.

This new stadium will be able to host AB tests - perhaps not a Lions test but almost all other tests.

FMG Stadium in Waikato holds 25k and it hosts AB tests

Forsyth Barr can be expanded to 31k and it hosts AB tests (I'd imagine this new Christchurch stadium could add capacity with temporary seating)