• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
YAY, let's all get in behind a coaching crew that is, win-wise, barely even soup rugby midtable level let alone worthy of running the worlds greatest rugby team. #NZRFU_nepotism
Ian Foster, John Plumtree, Brad Mooar, Greg Feek, Scott McLeod and David Hill.​

omgcw.gif

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Do we think that's a mistake?

I think the mistake is in not genuinely going hard after other coaches (Rennie, Joseph, Schmidt, Gatland etc).

I can see why they chose Foster over Robertson but the mistake is that the choice was only down to those 2.

It's only a 2 year deal so the pressure will be on - especially with the Wallabies and Boks having much better coaching setups now than this time 4 years ago (Cheika and Allister Coetzee).

I do rate Plumtree though - he would be a good addition - he has success both as an assistant ('07 Sharks home finalists Super Rugby, '15 Hurricanes home finalists, '16 Hurricanes champions) and as a head coach ('08 Sharks Currie Cup Champions, '10 Sharks Currie Cup Champions, '18 - '19 Canes Super Rugby semi-finalists who in '19 took the Crusaders to the very limit in Christchurch in the semi final)

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Good to see NZ supporting a continuity of mediocrity. I'm looking forward to another four years of it.

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
Wow love your opinions mate apart from To'omua not many 10's left, and even then I like To'omua as a 12.

Crusaders are looking great now that Robertson's defintiely the coach.

Good call on Barrett to 6 (AB's might want to see him develop their too), Blackadder had such a great mitre 10 cup, he would be heartbroken.

Dunshea and Strange were two standouts in the Mitre 10 cup! Probably will force Romano to the bench now that I think about it.

Ah lets have a beer!
Wow good effort with the Video.

As I have posted in other threads I’m still very confident about the crusaders this year, as all teams have been gutted (is there actually a 5/8 left in Australia?) of players.

Out of all the titles the crusaders have won 2019 was the first that was primarily thanks to the backs and they have have pretty much kept that backline in tact.

As you point out the back row is the worry, especially since Blackadder is out for the season. I’d say S Barrett will play 6. Strange and Dunshea will start 4&5 and Romano off the bench.

Big ups on Will Jordan, i’d Say Reece will burn bright for a couple of years then fade, but Jordan could be the long term AB 15.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
> Foster's bid to become the next All Blacks head coach contains a heavyweight support crew
> sources indicate that a "rock star" of the game has already been lined up as a key part of Foster's coaching team
> Support crew is Brad Mooar, Greg Feek, Scott McLeod, David Hill

KeenDistortedHart-size_restricted.gif

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Call me old-fashioned but I'll answer that question after 2030 TRC & Bledisloe, not five minutes after his appointment :)

Exactly WOB, none of know how good or bad the coaching set up will be until we see it operate. I wasn't privy to the interviews, don't know who Razor's assistants were, so at this stage I will take the word of the panel that selected them.
Still no doubt we will get the same screams as those that came when Deans missed out in 2007!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Exactly WOB, none of know how good or bad the coaching set up will be until we see it operate. I wasn't privy to the interviews, don't know who Razor's assistants were, so at this stage I will take the word of the panel that selected them.
Still no doubt we will get the same screams as those that came when Deans missed out in 2007!

I think Deans would have been a very good AB coach.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think Deans would have been a very good AB coach.

I not sure if he would of been or not dru, I saw as many people going crazy about him missing job, but the people that interviewed for that job chose to stay with Henry and seems they got that right.
I kind of pointing out that we on the internet have no idea what went down at the interview, what Foster or Robertson put forward as their plans or coaching teams, so maybe the panel have a good idea who should get the job.

Reactions: dru

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
A big issue for me is there was never anyone rumoured to be in the Razor coaching set up with test coaching experience once Tony Brown stayed with Joseph.

The names thrown around for Razor were: Jason Ryan (forwards coach), Jason Holland (Hurricanes), Leon MacDonald (Blues).

If Foster's rumoured coaching team is true he at least has test coaching experience (Foster 8 years, Plumtree 2 years, Feek 6 years, McLeod 2 years).

Good call on Barrett to 6 (AB's might want to see him develop their too)

No thanks on the ABs part. Much rather develop the promising young 6s around NZ at the moment (Jacobson, Papalii, Robinson etc)

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The ultimate emasculation will come in 2021 when Rennie, having been let go by Aus, is hired as AB's coach to replace Foster, again, to clean up his mess, again, and immediately transforms the side into a winning unit, again, as he did with the Chiefs.

giphy.gif

Dave Rennie, 2021, back in Hamtown, first stop, Fozzie's mums house.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I just been thinking on the comments about NZRU doing this too late, and I disagree, if NZRU had held interviews in August, places like Australia and Japan would of just moved their appointments forward to get the coaches they did. Lets face it NZ has interviews and selection meetings, Australia, Japan and a few others jump in early just so they can get a good coach. I would think in next cycle for Australia at least they may actually not have to rush as hopefully by then they will have a couple of quality applicants instead of just interviewing ( or asking) one!!
Call me strange but I want the coach we get because he is in the board's opinion the best one, not because we offered job to someone first!

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cotter's and Rennie's agent on the process:

"I wouldn't agree with inviting 26 [coaches] to apply because the reality is that's it's such a big job that there's less than 10 and arguably less than five in the world who could actually do that job. That bit was wrong and I had a number of clients who were asked to apply who didn't because they knew that it wasn't really anything other than box ticking."

"[NZR] also had a situation where I don't think the New Zealand public would have accepted them rolling in Ian Foster without having gone through a proper process. So, I think they were caught between a rock and a hard place and that's not what others have done. If you look at Australia, which I had a fair bit to do with, and Wales, which I had a bit to do with, and Ireland. They identified their guy, did their search, they did their homework, they found their guy and they went after him."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...job-hunt-as-box-ticking-leading-agent-reveals