• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
You'd have to imagine that the pack would be mostly Blues and Crusaders. Indeed, I'd say the Blues are looking at nine likely All Blacks, with over half of them being forwards:
  • Barrett (#10 & #15)
  • Clarke (#14)
  • A.Ioane (#6 & #8)
  • R.Ioane (#11 & #13)
  • Papali'i (#6 & #7)
  • Sotutu (#8)
  • Tu'inukuafe (#1)
  • Tuipulotu (#4)
  • Tu'ungufasi (#3)
And a few more pesting about the fringes who may be needed if injuries strike (again, mostly forwards):
  • Black (#10)
  • Eklund (#2)
  • Gibson (#7)
  • Robinson (#6)
I've been quite open about my not thinking much of Foster or his coaching team, but Plumtree is a pretty decent forwards coach. Hopefully he can replicate what Coventry and Ryan are doing at the Blues and Crusaders.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You'd
You'd have to imagine that the pack would be mostly Blues and Crusaders. Indeed, I'd say the Blues are looking at nine likely All Blacks, with over half of them being forwards:
  • Barrett (#10 & #15)
  • Clarke (#14)
  • A.Ioane (#6 & #8)
  • R.Ioane (#11 & #13)
  • Papali'i (#6 & #7)
  • Sotutu (#8)
  • Tu'inukuafe (#1)
  • Tuipulotu (#4)
  • Tu'ungufasi (#3)
And a few more pesting about the fringes who may be needed if injuries strike (again, mostly forwards):

• Black (#10)
  • Eklund (#2)
  • Gibson (#7)
  • Robinson (#6)
I've been quite open about my not thinking much of Foster or his coaching team, but Plumtree is a pretty decent forwards coach. Hopefully he can replicate what Coventry and Ryan are doing at the Blues and Crusaders.

You would have to think most of them would get looked at, but doubt whether any of fringe players will get near unless there a real shit load of injuries. Can't see Black, Eklund or even Gibson even getting in conversation. I reckon Reiko,CC,BB,PT, OT (who is best tighthead in country at moment) and Big Karl have got to be in squad. If Sotutu get's over injury he would have to be in there, Papali'i and Akira would have to be in training squad at least I think, but by geez there is still a shit load of players to add in there. Let's face it starting line up in loosies would have to be Cane, Frizell and Savea (though I may prefer Savea off bench for impact). If Sotutu not fit I would have Papali'i as bench player.
though a few would want Boshier too.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It's gotten to the stage where Fozzie & The NZRFU Blazers are going to have to come up with some phenomenally inventive and duplicitous chicanery to keep Akira OUT of the AB's picture.

Frizzle/Akira/Papalii/Cantabs Next Great White Nope

Ardie/Sotutu/Akira/Tu'u

That's some kind of choice when you think no Cullen Grace who looked one of best at 6 before injury.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
The thing about Akira this competition is he is playing a style that looks perfectly suited to test match rugby.

He's smashing people in tight - just monstering people in the heavy traffic areas again and again.

That's what the ABs need a lot more of - Scott Barrett at 6 just isn't going to cut it.

Akira isn't exactly a rookie either - it feels like the right time.

Some of the other contenders look like they could use a bit more seasoning - no need to rush them just yet (Tu'u, Grace etc).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AB squad named:

Aumua, Barrett, Barrett, Bridge, Cane (c), Clarke, Coles, Ennor, Frizell, Goodhue, Grace, Hodgman, Ioane, Ioane, Jordan, Laulala, Lienert-Brown, Lomax, McKenzie, Moody, Mo'unga, Papalii, Perenara, Reece, Savea, Smith, Sotutu, Strange, Taylor, Tu'inukuafe, Tuipulotu, Tuungafasi, Vaa'i, Weber, Whitelock.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Forgot about this thread, so will just copy/paste my post from NZ domestic rugby, before deleting it there.

Hookers
Asafo Aumua
Dane Coles
Codie Taylor

Props
Alex Hodgman
Nepo Laulala
Tyrel Lomax
Joe Moody
Karl Tu'inukuafe
Ofa Tu'ungafasi

Locks
Quinten Strange
Patrick Tuipulotu
Tupou Vaa'i
Sam Whitelock

Loose-forwards
Sam Cane (C)
Shannon Frizell
Cullen Grace
Akira Ioane
Dalton Papali'i
Ardie Savea
Hoskins Sotutu

Halfbacks
TJ Perenara
Aaron Smith
Brad Weber

First-fives
Richie Mo'unga

Midfielders
Braydon Ennor
Jack Goodhue
Rieko Ioane
Anton Lienert-Brown

Outside backs
Beauden Barrett
Jordie Barrett
George Bridge
Caleb Clarke
Will Jordan
Damian McKenzie
Sevu Reece

All good scrummaging props, which is good to see. Smith has been outrageously good this year, so it feels to me like both Perenara and Weber are both a notable step down from him ATM. Less of an indictment upon them, and more a statement of just how good Smith has been this year. Reece probably fortunate that it's an enlarged squad and/or that Laumape isn't available; otherwise I imagine he'd have been pushed out with both Rieko and Ennor able to play wing too.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
* edit oh shit, me slow on the posty posty

Time to look back at the 23 names now writ large in the annals of ignominy, the 23 named for the RWC 2019 semi final capitulation to the hated, hated English.

1. Joe Moody (44) surely Ofa here by now
2. Codie Taylor (49) Coles please
3. Nepo Laulala (24)
4. Brodie Retallick (79) Pat T
5. Samuel Whitelock (116) poor bastard, reconscripted back into national service when he should've been knee-deep in green tea and pixellated grot vids by now.
6. Scott Barrett (34) LLLLLLLOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL. Nice one, Hansen.
7. Ardie Savea (43) CANE FFS
8. Kieran Read - captain (125) Sotutu
9. Aaron Smith (90)
10. Richie Mo’unga (15)
11. George Bridge (8)
12. Anton Lienert-Brown (41)
13. Jack Goodhue (12) ffs Rieko didnt even make the XXIII for this match? NOT GUILTY BY ASSOCIATION. EITHER IOANE. NICE ONE HANSEN, YOU BIASED CNUT.
14. Sevu Reece (6) This guys a goner I reckon. Hello, Will Jordan.
15. Beauden Barrett (81)

16. Dane Coles (67)
17. Ofa Tuungafasi (34)
18. Angus Ta'avao (12) wft did this really happen?
19. Patrick Tuipulotu (28) Jesus we are rooted at this position
20. Sam Cane (66)ARDIE
21. T J Perenara (63)
22. Sonny Bill Williams (56)FFS. And now Fozzie is going to pick Dmac here.
23. Jordie Barrett (15)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hooker x3
Prop x6
Lock x4
Loosie x7
20 Forwards

HB x3
5/8 x2 God help us DMac must be the backup*
Midfield x4
Outsides x6
15 Backs

*Edit: Fox has reportedly confirmed this.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Loose-forwards
Akira Ioane
giphy.gif

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Match squad might look something like this I'd guess.

1. Moody
2. Taylor
3. Laulala
4. Tuipulotu
5. Whitelock
6. Cane
7. Savea
8. Sotutu
9. Smith
10. Mo'unga
11. Clarke
12. ALB/Goodhue
13. Goodhue/ALB
14. Bridge
15. Barrett/McNuggets

16. Aumua/Coles
17. Lomax/Tu'inukuafe
18. Tu'ungafasi
19. Strange
20. Papali'i/Akira
21. Perenara
22. Whichever Barrett doesn't start
23. Rieko/Ennor

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I didn't watch the live stream of the announcement but based on Cully's blog:

* squad size is based on the assumption TRC will be played in NZ, if it moves to Aus then players will be added.
* players will be released for first two weeks of M10 Cup.
* Laumape's cast comes off this week so he may be available for Manawatu & if so AND players are added he could be one of them.
* they're looking at Ardie as primarily an 8 & Grace as a six.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Grace is 6'2/3 which is slightly shorter than Kaino. Surely that alone eliminates him form being a starting lock? Kaino was used at times to cover lock for the final quarter and was fine. At best, Grace might also be able to do the same.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think the question to which the answer was Grace is primarily a six was to do with the fact he's mostly played 8 until now. He's covered lock for Cantabs, I think, but you're right he's not really an AB lock cover option except for maybe the last 20 v Italy or a T2 outfit.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I think the question to which the answer was Grace is primarily a six was to do with the fact he's mostly played 8 until now. He's covered lock for Cantabs, I think, but you're right he's not really an AB lock cover option except for maybe the last 20 v Italy or a T2 outfit.

Grace played almost exclusively at 6 this year didn't he?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
DMac looked much more comfortable (and better) last night in that fractured game compared to a year of Gatlandball.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
1. Moody Hoping the planets are aligned for Ofa. Complete player now. Enough of Moody the tenured penalty magnate.

12. ALB/Goodhue. are these guys BOTH much better at centre than 2nd 5? Thinking biffing them into Thunderdome at #13 and giving Laumape the 12 jersey for good might be better. It's not like he hasn't earned it

13. Goodhue/ALB

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Caleb Clarke looks a special prospect, he might be able to hold down a spot on the wing for 2 years before another kid rolls off the production line and replaces him.