• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The irony is that when Gardener gets handed the game in Sydney he won’t want to appeared biased and will overcompensate in your favour

Don’t want bias. Definitely don’t want overcompensation. Just do your job Gus. [Like don’t miss a crucial foot in touch you donkey.]

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
It was interesting that when Simmons came on for Wilson, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) went to 8 and Samu went to 6. Strange in the context of the game but maybe some longer term implications for when the 2 OS players join the squad.

I saw LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) pack at 6 in one scrum, I can't remember but it may have been on attack. Then on D he was at 8, which makes sense since he offers more pushing at 8 and Samu is faster covering the flank.

Edit: I also saw LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) cover Barrett out wide, just, while Samu got burnt on the outside at one point. I think people have to realize there aren't many 6's who are going to be able to cover outside backs with room.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cane looks filthy on it which is good BUT where the fuck was the drop-goal setup in minutes 81-86? Cardiff 2007-level (on- & off-field) leadership failure.

I think it's clear both teams back themselves to get a penalty but it's also very clear the ref has absolutely no intention of deciding the game on an easy penalty..

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Any team wanting to beat the All Blacks needs to be ready to beat the ref too. We all know that. No point whinging about missed calls now.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Curious about our strategy not to compete in the line outs.

I saw Phillip go up a couple of times.

But I dont know either, especially in windy conditions and plenty of chance of a not straight throw. (If you dont compete and its not straight , there is no scrum penalty play on?)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Rennie: "We're miles away from where we need to be".

The type of statement you'd often hear from Hansen when there was a draw in Sydney. I like it.
Hoops in the post match as well didn’t appear elated, he just said there were “a few nice things” but it was “still disappointing”. Refreshing stuff.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it's clear both teams back themselves to get a penalty but it's also very clear the ref has absolutely no intention of deciding the game on an easy penalty..

Abso-fuckng-lutely & that's why you've gotta take Sir out've the equation & take the lazy three when it's on offer. Applies equally to Wobs, obviously.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Brilliant game from the Wallabies.

For next week Petaia for Paisami who I thought was solid but Petaia is the next level. Only possible change was at hooker but Fainga'a deserves another week.

MOTM out of White, Philip and Hooper all immense. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Daugunu were also exceptional in patches. Happy to also keep Banks for next, he played well and DHP past performances doesn’t merit coming straight into the side.

Can we suggest that To'omua should be the kicker, he was superb in SRAU. Only Harrison is a better kicker in Aus

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Brilliant game from the Wallabies.

For next week Petaia for Paisami who I thought was solid but Petaia is the next level. Only possible change was at hooker but Fainga'a deserves another week.

MOTM out of White, Philip and Hooper all immense. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Daugunu were also exceptional in patches. Happy to also keep Banks for next, he played well and DHP past performances doesn’t merit coming straight into the side.

Can we suggest that To'omua should be the kicker, he was superb in SRAU. Only Harrison is a better kicker in Aus

Yeah, we just drew with the All Blacks in NZ. Probably little need for wholesale changes. I wouldn't be upset with Uelese in for FF (Folau Fainga'a). I thought Samu was quiet but with Wilson on the flank I guess he's got it locked up.

Agreed, backline can stay the same. Would like Lolesio to get some time but don't see it happening if we're close at Eden Park.....

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Didn’t think I was critical, just would not start him. He does well at settling things from the ruck and gearing the teams head space for going forward. In the first half we could have used more speed at the ruck and we can always use better accuracy in the first pass. White has his strengths. I’d harness them from the bench.

Gordon otoh I don’t think earned a 23 spot against his alternatives. Serviceable, but we needed more than that.

In a tight test match I thought Gordon played well. Kept his head, generally good service, cleared the ball cleanly when needed, actually thought some of his passing in the wet was a little better than White's.

The coaches will have better insight to the specific KPI's on which they'll make their decisions for game 2.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah, we just drew with the All Blacks in NZ. Probably little need for wholesale changes. I wouldn't be upset with Uelese in for FF (Folau Fainga'a). I thought Samu was quiet but with Wilson on the flank I guess he's got it locked up.

Agreed, backline can stay the same. Would like Lolesio to get some time but don't see it happening if we're close at Eden Park...

Tend to agree. Wouldn't be surprised to see a similar team depending on players like Petaia and DHP being fit.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
He's determined to carry on the AB's long world cup tradition of picking players out of position. Tell Ioane to piss off out of the centres back to being the best winger on the planet. Tell Beauden to start practicing goal kicking so he can be the best 10 in the world again. Tell Mounga to bring a cushion for the bench. Tell Sam Cane or Whitelock to visit the wizard of oz and find a brain.

Guh! Under the posts, driving rain. We throw a dicey pass out to the midfield. That reeks of a lack of preparation! No one thought to drive to the posts or kick a simple drop goal.

Such a basket of talent to draw from, just seemed odd with no real obvious tactic/approach to the game. AB's played so flat in the 1st half. Barely knew players like big Pat, Savea, Fizzell etc were even out there. Beyond going hard at the breakdown which they generally did well at, though I feel the ref. helped, I didn't see a clear vision. Perhaps BB being ruled out upset the gameplan more than expected?