• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s been noted plenty of times Daugunu can kick and with the Reds playing a field position game it’s interesting he rarely (never?) did. I can see why there are concerns. But gee he has looked bloody good.

In saying that I think Wright has been exceptional all year too. I have read some comments that his form dipped but I think it was more that the Brumbies hit a flat spot and he wasn’t getting the same opportunities - but certainly took them when on offer.

I’m really looking forward to seeing both of them get a crack at test level and I’m happy to put my faith in Rennie as to what the best combo is and how to make it work.

But it’s good to be in a position to argue about which guy to leave out instead of who we are going to shoehorn in.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think it's pretty positive the argument over Daugunu or Wright on the wing, given imo they are both pretty solid options at test level. With Ramm only a couple of steps behind them, I think we are in better shape for genuine wingers than we have been for a long time.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It’s been noted plenty of times Daugunu can kick and with the Reds playing a field position game it’s interesting he rarely (never?) did. I can see why there are concerns. But gee he has looked bloody good.

According to Wikipedia, he played soccer until 2015, then switched to rugby. That might explain his kicking ability, even though they are very different balls, there does seem to be some sort of carry-over.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think it's pretty positive the argument over Daugunu or Wright on the wing, given imo they are both pretty solid options at test level. With Ramm only a couple of steps behind them, I think we are in better shape for genuine wingers than we have been for a long time.
Agree on Ramm. Very impressed with him.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Off to 'Nam:
120113481_793358724837181_4267890285434362320_n.jpg

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I haven't seen any kicks of note from him but I thought I recalled Greg Clarke rattling on about it.

As I pointed out some way above, Daugunu put in one kick in general play against the Rebels in the semi final, which went out on the full from outside his 22m area. Can't say I saw any others during the SRAu competition.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The battle for wing spots will be intense next year, with the current 3, Ramm's continued rise and Vunivalu's arrival. Quite the luxury. Hope this means we will never talk again about which fullback we will use on the wing.

My only issue is that all three of Koroibete, Duagunu and Wright have been playing in the 11 spot. Presumably, that is the side they are most comfortable with, the one that suits their running style and lines best and possibly also reflects the foot they prefer to kick with if and when required. Do we have too many 11s and not enough 14s? Will Ramm have a meteroic rise to the national side, although I note that while he has 14 on his back for the Tahs, he plays predominantly in the 11 spot too. Bit of a quandary, perhaps?

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
My only issue is that all three of Koroibete, Duagunu and Wright have been playing in the 11 spot. Presumably, that is the side they are most comfortable with, the one that suits their running style and lines best and possibly also reflects the foot they prefer to kick with if and when required. Do we have too many 11s and not enough 14s? Will Ramm have a meteroic rise to the national side, although I note that while he has 14 on his back for the Tahs, he plays predominantly in the 11 spot too. Bit of a quandary, perhaps?

BR you would be better placed to answer than me, but doesn't Wright play both sides? I remember the game vs the Tahs pre lockdown when he came on and played right side, think he scored a double. Vunivalu plays on the right side for the Storm also assuming he transitions across in the same position with Duagunu on the left. I think with Ramm's skillset he could play 11 or 14.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Daugunu steps off his right foot, he would be fine on the right hand side as would Wright. Ramm wore 14 but spent most of his time on the left anyway. Obviously wingers have their favoured sides but it’s not like LHP vs THP.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think it's pretty standard practice to put your best winger on the left side. Statistically you are far more likely to score down the left because passing right to left is easier. Doesn't mean these guys can't play on the right.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BR you would be better placed to answer than me, but doesn't Wright play both sides? I remember the game vs the Tahs pre lockdown when he came on and played right side, think he scored a double. Vunivalu plays on the right side for the Storm also assuming he transitions across in the same position with Duagunu on the left. I think with Ramm's skillset he could play 11 or 14.

That's true about Wright Rugboy. As I remember he did score a brace against Nawaqanitawase and I think that was the last we saw of Mark in the competition.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Pretty sure it was Qantas that ditched the Wallabies! Are Qantas actually flying to NZ at the moment?

Apparently not. The "ditching" did not refer to the sponsorship, it was a reference to the choice of carrier. Virgin instead of Qantas. At least it was not Air NZ!!

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Apparently not. The "ditching" did not refer to the sponsorship, it was a reference to the choice of carrier. Virgin instead of Qantas. At least it was not Air NZ!!

Wouldn't the sponsorship have included flights? Besides, I'm not entirely sure Qantas a flying international routes currently. Just something I read somewhere.

Qantas has removed almost all international flights through to the end of March 2021 from its website – a date which would mark a full year since the airline first grounded its international fleet due to the coronavirus pandemic