• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wobs have reportedly checked in to their Gulag.......

IMG_1042.JPG

AB meanwhile were allegedly last sighted at this joint in Whakatanebro:

IMG_1043.JPG

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
Essay incoming. I expect everyone to skip over this but I needed to get it out. Some very tough calls but in my view, picking on form over experience results in 4 debutantes tops, which isn't too bad at all.

Tight 5: I think we look really strong here, provided there aren't many injuries. Ending up with Simmons/Hosea in the row would be a concern and after Tupou there is quite a drop off now.

1. Sio/Slipper - Toss up, Sio was penalized a lot this year but I think AAA was actually very weak so I'm not certain it was all Sio's fault. Will probably share a lot of game time.
2. Fainga'a/Uelese - Again, hard to split, both came good at the right end of the year. As above with sharing game time.
3. Tupou - People might be getting carried away a bit, I don't think he will have such an easy time in the scrums against NZ but by far and away our best THP and if on song should dominate.
4. Philip - Player of the tournament for me, fantastic in contact, rucks and the lineout. Exactly the player we need here. The cleanout he did on the Highlanders player early in the year was brutal, very unfortunate injury but it's fantastic seeing someone hit a ruck with such vemon.
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) - Unlike a lot of people I don't mind him at 6, his play, whilst tighter this year, still makes me think he is more of a 6 than 2nd row. Not comfortable running the lineout, good hands and speed, as well as hanging out wide quiet a bit. I swear I saw him making a very good cover tackle out wide on a half break in the final or semi? For all those always mentioning the NZ game and his lack of speed. Either way would have to start and almost certainly in the 2row. Has been very physically dominant. If Greg Clarke complains about him running too high as he tramples over people again I'm going to throw my Gilbert through the TV.

Backrow: I honestly wouldn't want to be a selector here. Hooper is almost certain to start and we have good 8's but not really a big 6 who is good around the park and at lineout. Also of note, no big bodies here, no one over 110kg's as listed and I'd agree looking at them (maybe Valetini is slightly over). Not much at all between a lot of players.

6. Valetini - I'll have a hard time defending this selection as he definitely dropped off but he is the most physical player we have at 6 and has so much potential. Just hoping he lifts his game and gets more involved. Has some height for the lineout but hasn't been great there. I imagine he could be very suited to this level of play.
7. Hooper - I actually don't think this was his strongest year but he has been a great player for us for a long time and I don't think anyone is going to be of more value at this stage. Will likely lift for the Wallabies too.
8. Samu - Very hard call, I love Wilson and don't think it will be long before he is here but if Valetini is in the middle of the park then Samu is our strongest wide player and although he is short, is good in the lineout. Heart says Wilson but this really could go either way. Could also go Wilson 6, Samu 8 but looks like Rennie has them both at 8. Would be happy with either starting.

Backs: What ever, they have no bearing on the game anyway.

9. McDermot - Reward him, has been a standout for 2 years now. Question marks over the consistency of his passes but I think the tempo and running game he brings out weighs the negatives. Since senior players apparently mentor the younger guys, Nick White will have taught him how to box kick, look for him gifting the AB's possession when we are up in the 79th minute as confirmation.
10. O'Connor - Solid and reliable without being great. Has lost all the speed and explosiveness that originally made him such a great player but has been the best 10 this season. Lolesio is hot on his heels. I think 10 is our weakest position, especially compared to the AB's.
11. Koroibete - Fantastic attitude and player. I'd have him here for his kick chase enthusiasm alone.
12. Simone - Standout 12 this year. Powerful in contact, long kick and our best long passer.
13. Petaia - Picks himself if fit, if not then this position is a worry. I'd have to go with Paisami next but I'd be very worried about his defense.
14. Daugunu - Very tight again, I was going to pick Wright, as Daugunu is riskier but then thought that's hardly going to change at any point. He has the most potential to dominate here so throw him in and see how he goes.
15. DHP - Best 15 we have under the highball and I expect there will be a few coming his way. If his body doesn't hold up then I really don't know. Put Maddocks and Banks in the Thunderdome, pick whoever wins and hope he has the right head on on the day.

16. Slipper/Sio
17. Uelese/Fainga'a
18. AAA
19. Hosea
20. Wilson
21. White
22. Lolesio/To'omua
23. Wright

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
^^^
I would make a couple of changes in the backs but that’s a strong side.

In hindsight, if Petaia is starting then you would certainly want a backup 13 on the bench. I think the pack has the ability to make things a bit easier for the backs too, regardless of who we go with. Unless it's 10. O'Connor, 12. To'omua, 13. Hodge. That would concern me.

Edit: Hodge might nab a bench spot since he can cover so many positions, especially 13 and 15 where unfortunately an injury wouldn't be surprising.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No real arguments with your squad HKs, but would definitely start with Sio and Fainga'a. Sio is the stronger of the two LHP options and would help to wear down the opposition for when Slipper, the more creative, comes on to take advantage. FF (Folau Fainga'a) every day to start over Jordan who has some fairly glaring defensive misses in his games. Not yet the top option at No 2.

I agree that Valetini is a bit of a gamble and wouldn't care either way whether he or Wilson get to start at No 6.

Philip is the best all round lock we have, by a country mile and his hard hitting defense and running will cause any opposition some problems. Would be great to see Philip, Valetini and Tupou all getting among the ABs and making life difficult.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
No real arguments with your squad HKs, but would definitely start with Sio and Fainga'a. Sio is the stronger of the two LHP options and would help to wear down the opposition for when Slipper, the more creative, comes on to take advantage. FF (Folau Fainga'a) every day to start over Jordan who has some fairly glaring defensive misses in his games. Not yet the top option at No 2.

I agree that Valetini is a bit of a gamble and wouldn't care either way whether he or Wilson get to start at No 6.

Philip is the best all round lock we have, by a country mile and his hard hitting defense and running will cause any opposition some problems. Would be great to see Philip, Valetini and Tupou all getting among the ABs and making life difficult.

As someone who spent a lot of time with my head perilously close to front rowers rear ends I have to admit it did little to enlighten me on what the hell goes on in there (the scrums, not their asses, I unfortunately know what goes on there all too well). I've been a prop stuck in a long body my whole life and it kills me. I agree with what you say though, FF (Folau Fainga'a) is probably ahead and Sio is very strong and canny, I think he actually got on top of Tupou quite a bit in the final. How good has Philip been playing? A pleasure to watch.

Always a lot to be excited about before the first match too!

Have to add as well, I think I've been reading all your discussions for what must be close to 20 years now and it's great to finally be involved.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sorry, but the Brumbies front row will not exactly have the ABs shaking in their boots. They were towelled up by the Reds and also the Rebels(when Uelese was on) on more than a few occasions at scrum time this year. FF (Folau Fainga'a) has been underwhelming in his limited time in test rugby. On the other hand Uelese showed that he belonged from the first minute. There is a reason why he was preferred to back up Latu in the RWC and I doubt much has changed.
i imagine that both will have opportunity this year, along with BPA. It will be another interesting selection for Rennie to make initially. I would start Uelese with TT and Sio or Slipper to establish strength in the scrum and bring on FF (Folau Fainga'a) later when the game opens up with his fellow Brumby front rowers.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Wouldn't say towelled up JB. Scrum time in a couple of games they were penalised more often than I would prefer, but in open play and lineout operation, both have had strong games and FF (Folau Fainga'a)'s throwing has been some of the best this year. It might be that the scrum was poorer than usual because for some of the season the second row was weakened through injury and player movements. At one stage I recall even Valetini getting a go in the second row.

I have no fear they will operate strongly with the best Wallaby second row behind them.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wouldn't say towelled up JB. Scrum time in a couple of games they were penalised more often than I would prefer, but in open play and lineout operation, both have had strong games and FF (Folau Fainga'a)'s throwing has been some of the best this year. It might be that the scrum was poorer than usual because for some of the season the second row was weakened through injury and player movements. At one stage I recall even Valetini getting a go in the second row.

I have no fear they will operate strongly with the best Wallaby second row behind them.

“Towelled up” works for me.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Essay incoming. I expect everyone to skip over this but I needed to get it out. Some very tough calls but in my view, picking on form over experience results in 4 debutantes tops, which isn't too bad at all.

Tight 5: I think we look really strong here, provided there aren't many injuries. Ending up with Simmons/Hosea in the row would be a concern and after Tupou there is quite a drop off now.

1. Sio/Slipper - Toss up, Sio was penalized a lot this year but I think AAA was actually very weak so I'm not certain it was all Sio's fault. Will probably share a lot of game time.
2. Fainga'a/Uelese - Again, hard to split, both came good at the right end of the year. As above with sharing game time.
3. Tupou - People might be getting carried away a bit, I don't think he will have such an easy time in the scrums against NZ but by far and away our best THP and if on song should dominate.
4. Philip - Player of the tournament for me, fantastic in contact, rucks and the lineout. Exactly the player we need here. The cleanout he did on the Highlanders player early in the year was brutal, very unfortunate injury but it's fantastic seeing someone hit a ruck with such vemon.
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) - Unlike a lot of people I don't mind him at 6, his play, whilst tighter this year, still makes me think he is more of a 6 than 2nd row. Not comfortable running the lineout, good hands and speed, as well as hanging out wide quiet a bit. I swear I saw him making a very good cover tackle out wide on a half break in the final or semi? For all those always mentioning the NZ game and his lack of speed. Either way would have to start and almost certainly in the 2row. Has been very physically dominant. If Greg Clarke complains about him running too high as he tramples over people again I'm going to throw my Gilbert through the TV.

Backrow: I honestly wouldn't want to be a selector here. Hooper is almost certain to start and we have good 8's but not really a big 6 who is good around the park and at lineout. Also of note, no big bodies here, no one over 110kg's as listed and I'd agree looking at them (maybe Valetini is slightly over). Not much at all between a lot of players.

6. Valetini - I'll have a hard time defending this selection as he definitely dropped off but he is the most physical player we have at 6 and has so much potential. Just hoping he lifts his game and gets more involved. Has some height for the lineout but hasn't been great there. I imagine he could be very suited to this level of play.
7. Hooper - I actually don't think this was his strongest year but he has been a great player for us for a long time and I don't think anyone is going to be of more value at this stage. Will likely lift for the Wallabies too.
8. Samu - Very hard call, I love Wilson and don't think it will be long before he is here but if Valetini is in the middle of the park then Samu is our strongest wide player and although he is short, is good in the lineout. Heart says Wilson but this really could go either way. Could also go Wilson 6, Samu 8 but looks like Rennie has them both at 8. Would be happy with either starting.

Backs: What ever, they have no bearing on the game anyway.

9. McDermot - Reward him, has been a standout for 2 years now. Question marks over the consistency of his passes but I think the tempo and running game he brings out weighs the negatives. Since senior players apparently mentor the younger guys, Nick White will have taught him how to box kick, look for him gifting the AB's possession when we are up in the 79th minute as confirmation.
10. O'Connor - Solid and reliable without being great. Has lost all the speed and explosiveness that originally made him such a great player but has been the best 10 this season. Lolesio is hot on his heels. I think 10 is our weakest position, especially compared to the AB's.
11. Koroibete - Fantastic attitude and player. I'd have him here for his kick chase enthusiasm alone.
12. Simone - Standout 12 this year. Powerful in contact, long kick and our best long passer.
13. Petaia - Picks himself if fit, if not then this position is a worry. I'd have to go with Paisami next but I'd be very worried about his defense.
14. Daugunu - Very tight again, I was going to pick Wright, as Daugunu is riskier but then thought that's hardly going to change at any point. He has the most potential to dominate here so throw him in and see how he goes.
15. DHP - Best 15 we have under the highball and I expect there will be a few coming his way. If his body doesn't hold up then I really don't know. Put Maddocks and Banks in the Thunderdome, pick whoever wins and hope he has the right head on on the day.

16. Slipper/Sio
17. Uelese/Fainga'a
18. AAA
19. Hosea
20. Wilson
21. White
22. Lolesio/To'omua
23. Wright

To’omua over Simone for me and latter not in 23)Wright over Valenti (and latter not in 23 ie Keep wilson on bench) and start white with Tate coming on against tired forwards for his running game - otherwise looks good

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
They aren't available for release for another month so still bit of time to watch and see I suppose, check injuries and form both here in during the Bledisloe and over there.

So will they come straight from England, France or wherever and join squad straightaway, or have to quarantine for 2 weeks first? Might be better to just not worry about overseas players for this year?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So will they come straight from England, France or wherever and join squad straightaway, or have to quarantine for 2 weeks first? Might be better to just not worry about overseas players for this year?

I'd say they'll exempted given they're under their own strict protocols and tested regularly. Maybe only a couple of days isolation. Some of us actually have a flexible, reasonable government. ;)

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

As it stands, whilst the rest of the squad is together preparing, they would be government quarantined. Think the World Rugby availability Window starts a week or 2 before the test window

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'd say they'll exempted given they're under their own strict protocols and tested regularly. Maybe only a couple of days isolation. Some of us actually have a flexible, reasonable government. ;)

Tell that too Scott Morrison, when discussing the Qld's and SA's rules!:p And that's the same country!