• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Newcastle/Hunter Rugby Union Comp GF Scores

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hunter/Newcastle Comp Senior Rugby Scores

For any ex/current novacastrians, or anybody really, this is how it went down in Newie.

(some scores not present, memory a bit fuzzy, certainly remember who won though)

Premier 1
Hamilton 39 defeated Maitland 34

Premier 2
Hamilton defeated Merewether Carlton

Premier Colts
Southern Beaches defeated The Waratahs
(This was Sth beaches first ever premiership in anything)

Premier 3
Merewether Carlton defeated Maitland

Womens
Wanderers 45 defeated Merewether Carlton 29

A Grade
Southern Lakes - 20
Merewether Carton - 11

B Grade
Merewether Carlton - 31
Wanderers - 11

C Grade
East Maitland - 25
Hamilton - 14

Personally disappointed my ever fighting Ncle Uni club didnt appear in any of the GF's but we'll be back next year.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
We love our Rugby here in Newie shame we always get the 'league town' tag, it's not the only part of the landscape.

N

no_name12

yes alot of good league players have come from there. But i no of one play from there. Ben Matmajow from the woodies am i correct?

D

Doc

I heard there were over 6k spectators??? ANy truth to this? Can't imagine a league town pulling more to a Union GF than Brisbane.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I heard there were over 6k spectators??? ANy truth to this? Can't imagine a league town pulling more to a Union GF than Brisbane.

Yeah I was there and it certainly looked like a decent crowd, last years derby Merewether vs Wanderers had to be close to 10000. Luke Burgess is a former Maitland black too I believe. "Premier Rugby" P1, P2, P3 and Pcolts are all on the same day and are the last GF, A grade/B Grade/C Grade had there's the week before and the womens before that. So three weeks of grand finals, premier always gets a good crowd but there was plenty of support for the other two GFs as well. Maitland Pickers vs Cessnock in RL got about 14000.

N

no_name12

Isn't there other people from newcastle playing club rugby up here. i think i saw a name in a program of a colts game and it said in brackets newcastle?

N

no_name12

also how is the junior system? being dominated by league i would assume it would struggle a bit?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
also how is the junior system? being dominated by league i would assume it would struggle a bit?

The junior sides do struggle a little bit against the dominant league clubs but still it is going strongly and there are a number of good players emerging. In the past couple of years the Hunter Junior rep sides have performed pretty well at State champs with last year the U16's finishing 3rd and the under 14's also finishing 3rd. They also have a few boys selected in the NSW junior rep sides (U15 and 17).

Two boys from the Hunter that are doing really well in Sydney schools are Chris Smith at Hills Sports, who was selected in the recent Presidents XV squad and Rhys Dombkins at Auggies, who made Aus A

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Isn't there other people from newcastle playing club rugby up here. i think i saw a name in a program of a colts game and it said in brackets newcastle?

I believe there are three players from maitland who have been invited to try out for the Brumbies Academy.

J

johanson

There were two 18 year olds playing for maitland on saturday, Michael Howell and James Johnston (both in the forward pack). Only Michael was asked to trial for the brumbies academy along with dylan evans (mereweather)

N

no_name12

are they any good? because players can look good in a not so strong comp

J

johanson

From what i understand and have read, Howell was in the nsw schools 2nd xv in 09, johnston in the nsw under 17's in 08 and evans attended joeys and made the nsw country cockatoos this year. So credible players

Status
Not open for further replies.