• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Newcastle Hunter Rugby Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Had a gander at the CC results list and thought I'd do the same with the NHRU & HWRU (hunter womens) comps.

Newcastle Zone Round 2

Premier 1

Lake Macquarie 0 v Maitland 0 Walters Park (someone did not record the result)
Singleton 38 v Southern Beaches 39 Rugby Park
Nelson Bay 12 v Wanderers 44 Strong Oval
Hamilton 13 v Merewether Carlton 18 Passmore Oval
University 41 v The Waratahs 36 University Oval

Premier 2

Lake Macquarie 0 v Maitland 84 Walters Park
Singleton 22 v Southern Beaches 21 Rugby Park
Nelson Bay 3 v Wanderers 46 Strong Oval
Hamilton 7 v Merewether Carlton 26 Passmore Oval
University 37 v The Waratahs 24 University Oval

Premier Colts

Lake Macquarie 19 v Maitland 76 Walters Park
Singleton 8 v Southern Beaches 27 Rugby Park
Nelson Bay 14 v Wanderers 31 Strong Oval
Hamilton 0 v Merewether Carlton 19 Passmore Oval
University 14 v The Waratahs 38 University Oval

Premier Three

Lake Macquarie 21 v Maitland 52 Walters Park
Singleton 14 v Southern Beaches 18 Rugby Park
Nelson Bay 0 v Wanderers 31 Strong Oval
Hamilton 0 v Merewether Carlton 19 Passmore Oval
University 17 v The Waratahs 5 University Oval

A Grade

Southern Lakes 20 v Bye 0 Gibson Oval
Griffins 25 v Coalfields 7 Dangar Park
Pokolbin 26 v Muswellbrook 7 Hunter Valley Gardens
Cooks Hill 5 v Merewether Carlton 22 Hawkins Oval

B Grade

Southern Lakes 20 v Bye 0 Gibson Oval
Griffins 26 v Coalfields 29 Dangar Park
Pokolbin 36 v Muswellbrook 12 Hunter Valley Gardens
Cooks Hill 12 v Merewether Carlton 27 Hawkins Oval

C Grade

Medowie 0 v Bye 0 Boyd Oval
East Maitland v Wanderers Tenambit Oval (no result recorded yet)
Hamilton 26 v Army 5 Hawkins Oval

Women’s

University 31 v Wanderers 12
Hamilton v Merewether (not yet recorded)

Go Uni the angry seahorses!

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
A couple of ex-teammates of mine ended up playing for clubs up Singleton way. How are they looking for this year? Thanks for starting this thread by the way, keep up the posts on the NHRU thread as it is interesting for us down on the Coast to see how your comp is going. Also, can you give us a rundown on the comps strengths and weaknesses? Cheers.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hey Aussie D I was going to do something like that so when I have time I'll get to it. I'll get the scoop from the mens games this round then I'll post more.

At this very moment I'm waiting for the rain to clear to head out to my actual game this weekend (by motorcycle). Its coming down by the buckets at the moment in Newie and since the womens division goes last after 5 or so mens grades the conditions are going to make the game a little interesting if I could put it that way. There is a pool in my backyard and we have no pool.

Also it is great to hear whats going on at the CC, I know there was once a womens team from Brisbane Water or Waters (bluebottles) that were very competitive in the Newie comp, from the womens side of things I'd love to have a combined CC and Newie comp.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Since I cant sleep I've been milling around on here. I found a doc I made early in the year on Rugby in Newcastle Hunter and the clubs so I've posted it here first to give you some background info and then I'll talk about Singo and the comps str/wknes.

A good general history of the NHRU can be found here…

http://www.nhru.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=61

A good general history of the HWRU (women’s) can be found here…

http://www.hunterwomen.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=11170

Both the above websites give good info in regards to the premierships won, who has represented at higher honours, etc.

NHRU Comp Structure (mens)

Premier 1
Premier 2
Premier Colts
Premier 3

A Grade
B Grade
C Grade

Some clubs are only in the premier comp, others only in the grade comp, others are in the premier comp + a team or two in grade comp but in premier rugby you must be able to field P1, P2, P3, & Pcolts to qualify for premier Rugby.

Premier, as it is suggested by its name the top comp. Grade rugby may be viewed by some as rugby for the social types that just want to keep playing or as a stepping stone for new clubs or clubs with young/inexperienced teams to build up to field a premier club. I still think the grade comp has some very competitive Rugby. The grade comps have their own titles to play for and it can be just as competitive and mean as much to those playing in the premier comps.

NHRU Clubs

Coalfields: from Cessnock, the greyhounds/mongrels, grade comp.

http://cessnock.rugbynet.com.au/

Cooks Hill : the brown snakes, relatively new young club, started off very competitively in the grade comp.

http://cookshill.rugbynet.com.au/

Dragons: also called Newcastle Welsh out Maryland way, grade comp (they also have a golden oldies team)
“The Newcastle Dragons was formed in 1984 as the Newcastle Welsh Rugby Union Club at the Premier Hotel in Broadmeadow and has always had a team playing grade rugby in the Newcastle and Hunter Valley Rugby Union competition. At this point in time the club was based in Hamilton.” Really nice guys too, have told the HWRU that they’d love to have a women’s team.

http://newcastledragons.rugbynet.com.au/

Easts (formally Eastern Districts) : Returned to premier Rugby in 2013. Suburb is Mayfield.

(as of 2013 I have not yet found their web page, will update as info comes to hand).

East Maitland : Tenambit area, eagles, grade comp
Reformed in 2007 and entered into the Newcastle and Hunter Rugby Union. Been placed in the finals each year.

http://myrugby.rugby.com.au/myrugby/find_club.asp?clubid=882055

Griffins: this team has moved home a fair bit but currently plays at Dangar park (the former ground of Mayfield East/Eastern Districts), grade comp.

“In 1991, Tech College Rugby Club and Port Hunter Rugby Club merged to form ‘Tech-Port’. They then changed the name to the ‘Griffins’.

Both of these clubs boast proud histories. The Tech College Rugby Club was formed back in 1948 whilst Port Hunter/ Stockton Rugby Club emerged way back in 1895, (disbanding and reforming many times).

A Golden Oldies side, the "Hunter River Mullets", also supports the Griffins.” (taken from social club site).

http://newcastlegriffins.rugbynet.com.au/

Hamilton: the hawks, premier & grade comp.

Founded in 1966 with just two junior teams, the club now supports five senior grades, a women’s team as well as junior teams. Based at Wickham Park off Albert Street. (taken from club website).

http://www.hamiltonhawks.com.au/page11880/Home.aspx

Lake Macquarie/Boolaroo : the roos, premier comp

Been around since 1929. Back then called Boolaroo Rugby Club. Over the years won numerous trophies and premierships and have had players who have gained representative honours, representing Newcastle, Country and NSW. (taken from the clubs website).

http://www.lakemacquarierugby.com/

Maitland: blacks (as in the colour, not being racist), premier comp.

Started in 1877. In the 2000 season there were 197 registered juniors at Maitland. From under 8s through to under 18s, 160 registered seniors and 80 Old Boys. Today the club boasts four senior sides, an "Old Boys" team, strong juniors (taken from club website & cut down a bit by me as it was quite a long bit of text).

http://maitlandrugbyclub.com.au/

Medowie: they field two sides in the grade comp, couldn’t find anything on their club history.

http://medowierugby.com/rugby/

Merewether-Carlton: the greens (or the slime as everyone else calls them)

“Merewether Carlton is the most successful club in the Newcastle competition. The rugby club was formed in 1930 from the amalgamation of Cooks Hill Carlton and Cooks Hill Surf club. Cooks Hill Carlton was established in 1887, making it one of the oldest clubs in Australia. For two years the jersey was sky blue with a Waratah emblem until the NSWRU requested a change. Bottle Green was then chosen. The club won six 1st Grade Premierships between 1930 and 1940 and sixteen first XV Grade Premierships to date – the last being in the 2007 season. The club has been Club Champions on nineteen occasions in its long history, a record that no other club has surpassed. This includes being club champions in the last five consecutive seasons – 2005 to 2009. The club proudly fills the maximum number of teams possible in the Newcastle Competition comprising of five senior grades, a colts and a women’s side. The club boasts approximately 200 senior and 150 junior registered players.” (taken from clubs website, cut down on extra text).

http://merewethercarlton.com.au/

Muswellbrook: the heelers, grade comp. Couldn’t find anything about their history.

http://muswellbrook.rugbynet.com.au/

Nelson Bay: the gropers, premier comp.

“Formed in 1978 as part of Port Hunter Rugby (Stockton). Nelson Bay Rugby Club (‘The Gropers’) was established in 1983 – Celebrated 25 Years in 2008; Strong financial, sponsorship and supporter base; Terrific social environment and family friendly as well;” (taken from club website)

Port Hunters an old club my maternal grandfather/father figure may have played for according to a family friend (jesus christ I hope so I always thought he played league), I'm going to look into this and may post info on the old disbanded club at a later date as it seems an interesting piece of history.

http://nelbaygropers.rugbynet.com.au/

Pokolbin: the reds, grade comp.

“Our Club is one of the newest Rugby Clubs in Australia being incorporated in January 2006. However we are not the first Pokolbin Rugby Club as one existed up until the early 1970’s. We are researching those early times and will keep you updated on our finds.

The current club was conceived on the fourth September 2005 in a restaurant overlooking Auckland Harbour by four Rugby nuts recovering from another loss to the Allblacks. We figured the only way to fix Australia’s problem was to create a club driven by the love of Wine , Rugby and the good times associated with both.

Initially it was decided to only have a social club (no playing) to enjoy the after game sports. The NHRU hadn’t had a request to form a non-playing club before and encouraged us to drag some guys out of the cellars and vineyards and get a team together. This was duly done , the phones ran hot , we had a team in division three , rounded up some great sponsors and now the Pokolbin Reds are a reality.

Our home ground is a lovely oval in the spectacular Hunter Valley Gardens complex right in the heart of Winecountry. Rugby days are casual and relaxed with lovely pitch side marquees hosting a lively crowd watching champagne rugby and consuming world renown Hunter Valley wines. If you are planning a visit to the Hunter Valley check our playing schedule and come along for a great day of rugby fun. If rugby is not on, you will always find someone to chat rugby at the neighboring Harrigans Irish Pub.

Sound financial base, very good support from players and locals.” (taken from club website, left most unedited as the area it talks about is some of the best in the Hunter – worth giving it a plug).

[Cannot find webpage as of 2013]

The Waratahs: the tahs, premier & grade comp.

Couldn’t find their club history on what looked like a very comprehensive website. There is a past greats & honour roll though.

[Update! 2013 there website appears to be no more, I will try to add the link if they sort it]

Singleton: the bulls, UPDATE 2013 the Bulls were in premier Rugby but have taken the route themselves to the Grade comp due to player number issues. New website link below.

"Since the creation of the Club in 1967, the Singleton Rugby Club has forged a long and proud tradition of producing quality rugby players and premiership teams.

Having produced two Wallabies and another NSW Waratah in the past 20 years, the Singleton Rugby Club can safely clam to be NSW Country's best nursery for developing rugby talent.

The Singleton Rugby Club can also boast field and club facilities that are the envy of sporting clubs around the nation, available for use by Club Members and the public." (taken from latest webpage).

http://www.singletonrugbyclub.com.au/

Singleton Army: the lions, grade comp. Not much info about the lions to be found but I know from when there was a women’s team there too that keeping their defence players was an issue because of postings/deployments.

Southern Beaches: beaches, premier comp.

“The Southern Beaches Rugby Union Club has been competing in the Newcastle and Hunter Premier Rugby competition since 2007 and is already achieving great success with the colts bringing home both minor and major premierships in 2010. The club has 4 senior teams which compete in Premier 1, Premier 2, Premier 3 and the Colts competitions. The junior division of the club has been competing since 1995 and has achieved a significant number of Minor and Major premierships throughout its short history.” (taken from clubs website)

http://www.southernbeachesrugby.com/

Southern Lakes: the hammerheads, grade comp.

“The Southern Lakes Rugby Union Club is based at Morisset on the south western shores of Lake Macquarie.
We play in the NHRU (Newcastle Hunter Rugby Union) competition. We encourage and support Hunter representative players.”

“The Southern Lakes Rugby Union Club "The Hammerheads" is a family orientated rugby club, located in the beautiful Lake Macquarie area of the lower Hunter Valley of NSW. We are lucky enough to be situated within a short distant from the beaches of Newcastle, the Vineyards of the Hunter Region, and also only a short drive from the Central Coast and Sydney.” (club and social websites, that’s all I could find)

I remember playing a semi at their ground I liked the place.

http://www.slru.com.au/

University (Newcastle): the (angry) seahorses, premier comp.

“Kicking off in 1955, the Club is the oldest continuously functioning University sporting Club with a proud history. The Club has nurtured many young players, including Wallabies and Wallaroos. Season 2010 was very successful with all teams playing in the finals series. Both men and women players gained Regional, NSW Country and National Representative honours. Tobie McGann and Margaret Watson were members of the Australian Wallaroos at the World Cup in England. Matthew Dun and David Kennedy were selected for the Australian Rugby Shield winning NSW Country Cockatoos - Matthew for the fourth year running and David for the third.” (edited to cut down on text, taken from Uni forum website)

http://newcastleuni.rugbynet.com.au/

Wanderers: two blues (or poons as everyone else calls them), premier and grade comp.

“Wanderers are one of the most successful Rugby Clubs in the Newcastle and Hunter Rugby Union.

Since the inception of Wanderers in 1924, we have won many premierships in all grades and continue to do so today. In that time, no less than 10 club members have represented Australia, 19 have earned State guernseys and 35 have been selected for N.S.W. Country.

The Wanderers club was founded in 1924 under the banner of the GPS Old Boys, by a small yet enthusiastic group of players and administrators, many of whom had played schoolboy rugby with either Newcastle Boys' High or private colleges in Sydney. The following year the Wanderers name was adopted.” (edited big time their history section was text heavy but these are the main points from their club site).

http://wanderersrugby.com.au/home.aspx

HWRU (Womens) – played during the war, went away then re-emerged in the nineties

Current 2013 Teams

Lake Macquarie
Wanderers
Merewether-Carlton
University

Previously up to 12 teams approx at one time and another time x2 divisions of about 6 teams, the main issue isn’t a lack of interest but rather a lack of structure on the club scene. Wanderers, Merewether-Carlton & Uni are foundation clubs that have never folded in the comp's history. Lake Mac have been in & out over the years but as of 2013 have a strong squad. Hamilton harps folded in 2013 after about 11 players moved on mainly due to moving interstate for work/family reasons or travel overseas. It was very disappointing to see the Harps fold for the 1st time in their history but the team is hoping returning players in 2014 will see the return of the club (I'm hoping double for this as I was set to play for them!).

HJRU (Juniors) – this is the area I know the least about but I know the following

HJRU has ages U7’s – U18’s

Clubs involved

Easts (Mayfield east/eastern districts) – play out of Dangar park
Hamilton
Lake Macquarie
Maitland
Medowie
Merewether-Carlton
Nelson Bay
Pokolbin
Singleton
Southern Beaches
Wanderers
The Waratahs

Some clubs field two or more teams in the same age group. The most populated junior clubs are Merewether-Carlton, Wanderers & Maitland. University has no juniors as yet but almost created the clubs first U16s team a few years back but had one too many short which was a shame as the boys at training were very enthusiastic about joining the club. There are a few girls amongst the boys I am told but predominantly boys.

School age Rugby

I know absolutely nothing about the boys school system other than my old school had a team in yr11 & 12 and some of the player are now in league. So there is a comp I know that much.

There is a school girl comp that is very popular and there is also a Hunter school rep team that recently played a visiting rep team from Canada. From the numbers I’ve seen at these events over the last couple of years is that if half of these girls went onto club rugby rather than the trickle we currently get then in 2-3 years time we’d have possibly a two grade comp of about 6 teams each.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
As far as how Singleton are going this year they had a win against Wanderers in Premier one which on the face of it was quite an effort but it turns out most of the Wanderers squad was missing you cant read much into that (with all due respect to the singleton guys win, a win against the poons is a win as far as I'm concerned).

The herald did a write up on the premier 1 comp clubs and their chances (according to James Gardiner). Its worth a look if you want to get an idea of how Singletons team is expected to go (the teams are ranked according to where its predicated they'll finish).

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...eens-poised-for-title-redemption/2119627.aspx

I think Singo can create an upset on their day but I do agree that there are some stronger teams that should see them off.

The strengths of the comp is the passion for club rugby, we like the CC get called a 'league' town but we have a very committed Rugby loving community thats been here for a long time. Another strength is the competitiveness of those involved, how serious the comp is taken. For example I was told that during Newcastle's time in the shute shield the team had an issue getting some players because some club coaches were more concerned about winning the local comp than competing in the shute. Now that in my view is not a good attitude if you want to expand and give your local players a pathway to higher honours (if the murmers I heard was true) but it highlights how serious people take the local comp. I have found the coaching and training at least from my own experience and the words of others is also pretty good standard.

The weaknesses are that certain clubs seem to have a problem developing an atmosphere at their club that makes their talented players want to stay and build a successful side. A lot of talk over the years has been about Merewether and Wanderers 'poaching' promising juniors away from other clubs to fill their trophy cabinets but for me 'poaching' does not exist. Individual players move of their own accord because they feel their club is going nowhere, want glory, arent getting an opportunity where they are or they have really bad interpersonal relationships with those at the club making rugby unenjoyable.

Personally I'm a believer in loyalty but after being miserable at my first club (Wanderers, which was and still is very successful) and not getting an opportunity from off the bench (very good team, no amount of hard work could get me into the run on side) then I actually understand why people leave. I made the move to Uni and its been the best move I ever made, not for glory (though we got that too) but for learning the game. However, if a club is giving a player opportunities to develop and the team is adament on seeking success even if they arent that successful then I believe its quite rich for the player to then leave that group. I believe this is what a lot of clubs who have lost talented players to the more traditionally successful clubs have felt has happended.

I am happy to say the clubs that draw a lot of outside players dont always go on to win the comp outright and the anger they generate adds more fire to the comp.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Final post as I'm finally getting tired. This is an interesting piece on a former club.

For mine one of the most controversial decisions was to rid the comp of Mayfield East/Eastern Districts a club that has been around since 1941. The comments from at the end of the herald below clearly illustrate the anger about the decision.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...easts-ready-for-battle-with-nhru/1243928.aspx

My own personal view on Mayfield Easts was that they should not have been dropped. The club had played at Dangar park for a long time before being relocated to Hexham which was requested by the NHRU to expand the comp, then not too long after the NHRU booted them out of the comp.

It also struck a nerve with me as it was my old mans and his brothers club for a short period (they came from up north) and really my only connection to my old man is through Rugby. Very sad to see them go. The Beauford Hotel near the ground now supports my team Uni women and still has the May East jersey on the wall at the pub. Good old fashioned pub, drop in if your ever in Newie.

I hope this gives you plenty of good reading Aussie D. I'm pretty confident what I've posted is accurate but any Newie residents who pick out any inaccuracies are free to point them out to me.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Cheers for that Seahorse. Southlakes ground is very nice, played a trial against them in my final season. I heard one story about a game in the NHRU where one club (Singleton?) used to have inmates from the local prison playing for them and during a game two such inmates made a break for freedom. Very funny if true but would feel sorry for the club and other inmates if so as the prison wouldn't have released inmates to play in future.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cheers for that Seahorse. Southlakes ground is very nice, played a trial against them in my final season. I heard one story about a game in the NHRU where one club (Singleton?) used to have inmates from the local prison playing for them and during a game two such inmates made a break for freedom. Very funny if true but would feel sorry for the club and other inmates if so as the prison wouldn't have released inmates to play in future.

I havent heard that one. I'll have to look into that.

In the meanwhile the ARU decide to put another boot into Rugby in NSW Country.

http://www.portprint.com.au/rugbynews2011/RugbyNews_Issue04/pageflip.html

Go to page 5 & see under title "Australian Rugby Union muscle flex disadvantages Country boys representative opportunities".

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Mayfield East is set to take the NHRU to the Supreme court to fight its way back into the NHRU comp. As another observer said it got a bit of a "castle" or "david v goliath" feel to it. I'll put up any further news I get.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
A good article outlining what is believed to be the top contenders for the end of this years premier 1 mens comp is below. I have to say from what I've seen Merewether-Carlton and Hamilton may well be in the GF. I'm hoping for the Uni boys to string some wins together to remain in contention.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...team-to-beat-in-nhru-premiership/2240415.aspx

The womens comp goes into the finals tomorrow where my team Newcastle Uni will play minor premiers Wanderers. The winner goes to the GF, loser must face the winner of Merewether-Carlton v Hamilton with the loser of that game out. Both games could go either way.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
How'd you go today AS?

Thanks for asking AD.

17-14 to the good girls. Very hard game. Relieved for now more than anything as we had a form slump at the end of the rounds & still need to improve. There will be no relaxing over the next fortnight till the Grand Final as both teams left quite a few points out on the paddock. A bit of controversy as one of the penalty kicks that was given to Wanderers in fact didnt even go between the sticks but was given anyway! Luckily it didnt have an effect on the result. Not having a go at the ref though the bloke we had is a mens premier 1 ref and he was excellent at pinging people for going off their feet at the breakdown & blocking the ability for opponents to counter ruck. I call it 'pitching the tent' (I'm sure theres already a rugby term for it) they go over the tackled ball carrier on the ground put their hands on the ground, arse up in the air, not supported just by their feet at all, they got away with it with a couple of older ref's but not this guy.

We have x2 injury concerns to our piggys which is a worry I was playing flank, then hooker, then flank again...prefer flank. One girl went to hospital from our team but its precautionary only & she went out later so shes alright. Our club prezo was there he was stoked.

Wanderers will have to play Merewether-Carlton who beat Hamilton earlier before us, the game had to go into extra time, feel sorry for one of my mates from Hamilton as its her last game and she scored a try. So Wanderers will play M/C next week, we get to sit back & watch then the following week we'll play the winner of that game. I was nervous today I reckon I'll be shitting bricks in a fortnights time. I also had that bug/flu/cold thats going around & could barely breathe out there but should be good by GF time.

Some interesting results in mens premier 1, the blockbuster clash between Hamilton (last years winners) & Merewether-Carlton (minor premiers last year who got thrown out of the finals in straight sets) ended 11-10 in favour of Merewether-Carlton. Many think it'll be those guys facing each other in the GF for premier 1. Also in premier 1 my guys Uni (angryseahorses) drew 33-33 all with Waratah who have a gun kiwi player in Hayden Pedersen (theres an article on his background below), he's quite a machine and whilst we didnt get the win I'm proud of my boys.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...sen-relishing-extended-tahs-time/2233239.aspx

I suppose the Central Coast comp has got to be getting into the business end of the season soon too?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The womens Rugby comp in Hunter-Newcastle, HWRU, has been run & won & my team took out the major premiership 12-10! As I'm still pretty smashed I'll type more on the game later. As the score indicates it was tight & we had to fight right up till the last second for victory!

More soon.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
HWRU Womens Rugby Grand Final 2011

Minor Premiers Wanderers faced off against University at Passmore Oval Wickham

The first half Uni showed their class in attack & dominated the opening part of the first half, Uni bombed at least one try, Wanderers were feeling the pressure making several desperate attempts to slow down the game & were getting penalised for break down infringements. Unlike previous rounds this referee (ranked No.1 in Newcastle) was having none of it. Uni brought their strong & fast winger known as 'the samoan sensation' off the wing & let her hit it up a few times with some very good results, breaking the line several times. Eventually Uni decided to go for a penalty kick but missed. After more dominance Uni gained a penalty right at the 5m line from the goal line in the left hand corner. Uni had a forward pod blind, forward pod open & a deep open back line. Three possible options were open to Uni & Wanderers appeared to have covered each attack. That was all good except they completely forgot about the Uni scrum half on the 5m line who took the tap with her back turned to the opposition, turned & went right over to score the first try through a huge gap.

Our scrums were suffering a bit, we have had to deal with the opposition pulling one side of the scrum & pushing the other but being not very experienced at Prop I was finding it hard to work out what was going on there. We were holding our own though.

Just before the break however Uni lost its concentration which had been a bit of a problem in the last half of the season & Wanderers gained a penalty, they went for the kick & scored their first points.

Soon after we had half time, the collisions & tempo of the game for the first half was very high & the second half proved no different.

Second half opened up much the same but Wanderers had some more ball. A cross field kick to their winger ended poorly (for them) as our sprinter come winger took the ball & ran over 60m to score under the posts. At this point the score is 12-3. Wanderers continued coming back, some of our girls got a bit tight I think with a lot of expectation from the large pro Uni crowd. Uni showed in the first half their attack but the second half was about awesome defence, we were penalised more at the break down due to our desperation to keep them out, our tall ranga was sent to the bin for repeated infringements. We had to make a few try saving tackles, even times when we got the ball out of our half there was a massive cheer. Wanderers however managed to get over for a try, with it converted the score was 12-10. They made their way down to our 22 again for a couple of line-outs - stollen by yours truly! We made another attack on Wanderers before they got the ball again but very soon after the full time whistle was sounded - absolutely exhausted & so happy to win back 'Wal' (the name of the trophy).

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
PRE FINALS PREVIEW

Premier Qualifying Finals SATURDAY 27th AUG

Premier 1 Hamilton v Southern Beaches

Hamilton slipped up last week against a re-emerging Wanderers side but I still think they’ll come through with a win against Beaches who in their short history in Premier Rugby have done very well to end up in 3rd spot. A Hamilton v Merewether-Carlton GF was predicted by myself earlier in the year & I still believe it’ll be those two come GF time in Premier 1.

Premier 2 Hamilton v Maitland

Close here. Maitland I think will come through with the home ground advantage, playing at Maitland has been difficult for many opposing sides over the years.

Premier Colts Southern Beaches v Maitland

Southern Beaches took out the GF last year in colts & for this game they are favourites. Another close game that really could go either way with Maitland having that ever important home ground advantage.

Premier 3 Merewether-Carlton v Maitland

Merewether-Carlton are favourites, Maitland have home ground advantage. Slime in a close one.

Premier Elimination Finals SUNDAY 28th AUG

Premier 1 Wanderers v Maitland

The Poons (Wanderers) in Premier 1 did not start 2011 very comprehensively but neither did the Maitland Blacks. Both teams however have been stringing together some good wins come the business end of the season. I am predicting the Poons to win but wouldn’t be too surprised if Maitland gets over in a tight one as they are playing at Lorn (Maitland’s home ground) & have home advantage.

Premier 2 Wanderers v Singleton

Once again I think the poons will win here. Singleton will put up a fight.

Premier Colts Hamilton v Waratahs

This could go either way. Both teams have beaten each other this year. Perhaps Hamilton winning their most recent clash goes in with the slight advantage.

Premier 3 Wanderers v University

No apologies for bias here GO THE ANGRY SEAHORSES! Uni collectively in the men’s teams have had a very bad year in terms of up and down form & injuries to key players. Hopefully a few fit bodies from the other Uni teams can boost the boys in premier 3 against the poons who will go in as favourites. The poons will have 3 other grades playing Sunday & will have plenty of support. Uni hopefully now out of the finals in the other grades will bring their own support force including the womens teams whose season is now over.

ALREADY QUALIFIED FOR NEXT ROUND OF FINALS:
Merewether-Carlton has already qualified for the next lot of finals in Premier 1, 2, & Colts. Hamilton has already qualified for the next lot of finals in Premier 3. Merewether-carlton in premier 1 has so far gone undefeated this season it will take a massive effort to stop them, or a massive choke which the Greens were accused of last season.

A Grade (Lorn, Marcellin Oval)

Cooks Hill v Merewether-Carlton
Southern Lakes v Pokolbin

B Grade

Cooks Hill v Pokolbin
Merewether-Carlton v Southern Lakes

C Grade

Hamilton v Wanderers
East Maitland v Army

With all due respect I have no idea about the form of these teams as I only tend to get to premier grades as my club has only mens grades in those divisions.

I'll be at the games this weekend both days so I'll be back to report what went on. Cheers.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Premier Qualifying Finals SATURDAY 27th AUG Results

Premier 1 Hamilton 37 def Southern Beaches 25

Beaches put up a big effort against but Hamilton too slick. Hamilton have been rocked by a couple of injuries in this clash.

Premier 2 Hamilton 29 def Maitland 8

I thought the home advantage would've been enough for Mailtand but Hamilton too strong.

Premier Colts Southern Beaches 17 def by Maitland 20

I predicted it would be tight and it lived up to that.

Premier 3 Merewether-Carlton 13 def Maitland 5

As above, tight game predicted and it was close.

Premier Elimination Finals SUNDAY 28th AUG

Premier 1 Wanderers 28 def Maitland 20

Maitland were looking the goods 13-5 early but Wanderers came home strong with 23 points in 18min. Wanderers coming together good at the right end of the season.

Premier 2 Wanderers 10 def by Singleton 13

Singletons' goal kicker was very unlucky to hit the woodwork a few times the score which was close couldve been a much bigger advantage to Singleton.

Premier Colts Hamilton 24 def Waratahs 22

Also a close one. Tahs scored more tries but still not enough against the Hamilton side that had a few more penalties & converted their opporunities more.

Premier 3 Wanderers 8 def University 0

Unfortunately my blokes went out of the finals series to Wanderers. They missed a penalty kick and a few break away opportunities including an intercept that was called back due to offside which was very questionable. The Angry Seahorses will be back to fight again in all Premier 1, 2, 3, Womens and Colts next year!

A Grade, B Grade, C Grade were all on the neighbouring ground.

A Grade

Cooks Hill 28 def Merewether-Carlton 12
Southern Lakes 12 def Pokolbin 7

B Grade

Cooks Hill 21 def Pokolbin 3
Merewether-Carlton 10 def by Southern Lakes 24

C Grade

Hamilton 14 def by Wanderers 15
East Maitland 19 def Army 12

Note: Kudos to Maitland Rugby Union Club for putting on a great feed and good day.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
PREVIEW OF THE SEMI FINALS

PREMIER DIVISION MAJOR SEMI FINAL - SATURDAY 3 SEPTEMBER 2011

TOWNSON OVAL

PREMIER 1 - Merewether Carlton V Hamilton - 3.00pm

PREMER 2 - Merewether Carlton V Hamilton - 1.30pm

PREMIER COLTS - Merewether Carlton V Maitland - 12.05pm

PREMIER 3 - Hamilton V Merewether Carlton - 10.45am

I may be playing an exhibition sevens comp on the Central Coast so may not be able to see these games on Saturday. Prediction for Saturday is Slime in all 4, depressing for a non-slime but the club yet again is doing well this time of the year. Hamilton Premier one has been struck down by a couple of injuries, one backs playmaker and one forward, these injuries could be the ones that break the camels back for Hamilton so to speak. But hoping Hamo Hawks can shake things up here.

PREMIER DIVISION MINOR SEMI FINAL - SUNDAY 4 SEPTEMBER 2011

WARATAH OVAL

PREMIER 1 - Southern Beaches V Wanderers - 3.00pm [Backing Wanderers based on their display against Maitland]

PREMIER 2 - Maitland V Singleton - 1.30pm [Backing Maitland, just]

PREMIER COLTS - Southern Beaches V Hamilton - 12.05pm [Backing Beaches, just]

PREMIER 3 - Maitland V Wanderers - 10.45am [Backing Maitland, just]

1ST & 2ND DIVISION FINAL - SATURDAY 3 SEPTEMBER 2011

WARATAH OVAL

A GRADE - Pokolbin V Cooks Hill - 3.00pm

B GRADE - Merewether Carlton V Cooks Hill - 1.45pm

C GRADE - Hamilton V East Maitland - 12.30pm

Unsure who to back in ABC grades.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
SEMI FINALS RESULTS

PREMIER DIVISION MAJOR SEMI FINALS

PREMIER 1 - Merewether Carlton 31 def Hamilton 10
PREMIER 2 - Merewether Carlton 35 def Hamilton 17
PREMIER COLTS - Merewether Carlton 27 def Maitland 17
PREMIER 3 - Hamilton 18 def by Merewether Carlton 20

Prediction for Saturday was Slime in all 4 & I was correct. Merewether-Carlton are in all Premier Grand Finals.

PREMIER DIVISION MINOR SEMI FINALS

PREMIER 1 - Southern Beaches 14 def by Wanderers 22
Backed Wanderers & they delivered.

PREMIER 2 - Maitland 39 def Singleton 19,
Backed Maitland who swooped home well.

PREMIER COLTS - Southern Beaches 15 def by Hamilton 18
Hamo proved me wrong but only just

PREMIER 3 - Maitland 22 def Wanderers 10
Backed Maitland & they didn’t let me down

1ST & 2ND DIVISION FINALS

A GRADE - Pokolbin V Cooks Hill, 28 all, Pokolbin Advance

B GRADE - Merewether Carlton 12 def Cooks Hill 8

C GRADE - Hamilton 7 def by East Maitland 14

PREVIEW PREMIER FINALS & ABC GRAND FINALS

PREMIER DIVISION PRELIMINARY FINALS - SATURDAY 10 SEPTEMBER - PASSMORE OVAL

PREMIER 1 - Hamilton v Wanderers - 3.00pm
This is a real tough one to pick. Hamilton showed last week against the Slime that the injuries they’ve suffered have hurt their chances to defend their 2010 title. Wanderers are coming home strong with a simple yet effective game plan at the back end of the season. I want a Hawk victory but I think the Poons (Wanderers/Two Blues) will prevail & set up a Grand Final clash with the Slime who have one of the Two Blues’ most experienced players playing for them this year who’s cross over caused quite an uproar from the Poons.

PREMIER 2 - Hamilton v Maitland - 1.30pm
Hawks playing at home to win this one for mine.

PREMIER COLTS - Maitland v Hamilton - 12.05pm
The Blacks to win here but should be close given Hamilton are playing at home.

PREMIER 3 - Hamilton v Maitland - 10.45am
Hamilton to win this one.

FIRST / SECOND DIVISION GRAND FINALS - SUNDAY 11 SEPTEMBER - PASSMORE OVAL

A GRADE - Southern Lakes v Pokolbin - 3.00pm
Tip: Southern Lakes

B GRADE - Southern Lakes v Merewether Carlton - 1.30pm
Tip: Southern Lakes

C GRADE - Wanderers v East Maitland - 12 noon
Tip: East Maitland

Status
Not open for further replies.