• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Next Wallabies Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Nothing about Link. Just who to take the team.

I'd like Chekia to take it after the next We.

Bernie.. Don't think he should bur players like him.

White/Jones. They don't care what anyone thinks or cares. Would be a shake up of epic proportions.

Fisher. Id love to see gandalf have a crack at care taker.

Foley - Perth love him.

Outside the box Todd Louadon aa caretaker. That be shock

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
From a strategic point of view, I don't think there are too many sharper minds than Stephen Larkham. As someone who was in the player's position not so long ago, he might be able to earn some respect from the playing group that way and use that to his advantage. He'd be my favourite.

I think Jake White will end up getting it. Hopefully he doesn't take any crap and gets the team environment under control.

I don't think Foley's a realistic option after the Tahs.

The last Super Rugby winning coach, who was immensely popular, just got burnt out in just over a year. For this reason, I'd prefer not to waste Cheika's immense talent right now.

Out of left field - Richard Graham. Always seems to fall upwards. Can't get too much worse.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
As I said in the Resignation thread, it will be his assistants with possibly another helper chucked in (Bernie?) for the EOYT.

As for who the long term coach is, I don't think it will be any of the Super 15 current coaches. We can't pick Cheika or it looks like we treat the job as a popularity contest, and I don't think he will want it as is.

It almost needs to be an Australian outside of the ARU's sphere of influence. Any good Aussie expat coaches running around in the NH.

It is a kick in the guts Laurie Fisher is gone. That would be my pick to get us through the 15RWC.

bobdog

Frank Nicholson (4)
He needs to be a benevolent dictator after the style of Henry.

Any of the blokes under the microscope happen to be an ex headmaster or with serious teaching experience under their belt?

Good ex-teachers know how to control groups while motivating and persuing excellence.

After all these players at 19 to 26 are no more than overgrown schoolkids!

Dudley Do-right

Frank Row (1)
Whoever takes the reigns needs to make it clear from the start that things will be done on their terms, not the players terms.
Tend to agree that Cheika is a risky choice given the current feeling amongst the wider population.
But I am sure that whoever the ARU appoints will have the full, unwavering support of the entire playing group ......

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Funny

I don't think there is anyone really free and ready to get stuff done for Friday

Whoever is picked will have to take the current side and set up, so I reckon an interim coach may be best option with the full time coach selected later

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They should appoint an interim coach for the EOYT or upgrade one of the current assistants into the role.

They should commence the search for a permanent appointment to either start before the RWC with a contract running at least a year or so past the RWC or only appoint the new coach after the RWC.

Trying to appoint a permanent coach now with so little time to do it and so much drama still hanging over the situation seems like a recipe for disaster.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Like i said in the other thread - Richard graham is the obvious solution
1. It solves a large part of the 2014 problem at the reds
2. It gives somewhere for link to ply his trade, and with the 2015 playing roster he can deliver an almighty f@#k you to the ARU by leading the reds to the 2015 super title.
3. It leaves the wallabies to coach themselves.
Problem solved. Everyones happy!!

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Give it to Alan Jones for the EYOT - at least it'll get him off the fucking airwaves for a while and when he fails spectacularly we won't have to hear him talk himself up ever again without being able to say "but you had a shot".

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
How about Adrian Thompson? Is he still the Aus 20s Head Coach? He could bring in some of his assistants from that setup. I would say he'd be good enough to at least take the reigns as an interim coach for the EOYT. Probably has some experience managing young outspoken players as well!

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
The temporary tour coach is a slippery slope. Firstly, it hands out title of Wallaby Head coach to someone possibly not deserving but also if say they went for McGahn and go 4-0 with wins by 25 points in each test. Creates all sorts of issues down the road. A Manager style coach like Macqueen or White with an understanding it's for a month might be the best option and let the assistants run the show.

It might also be hard to get a coach heading into RWC without chance to pick their guys around them. I imagine the assistants would be kept.

Finally, to play devils advocate, there must be some consideration as to whether Cheika is not more of the problem, rather than the solution.

T

Train Without a Station

Firstly, it hands out title of Wallaby Head coach to someone possibly not deserving but also if say they went for McGahn and go 4-0 with wins by 25 points in each test. Creates all sorts of issues down the road.

That doesn't create an issue. It creates a solution.

If a player is picked due to injury or retirement and performs exceptionally well despite not being expected to, they show they're capability for the role.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
A few thoughts, on all this mess

Firstly Beale should answer to the charges against him. They are serious. If proved (even if only have proved), he will be subject to sanction. The sanction could be termination, but the ARU might find other sanctions appropriate such as an apology, a fine, compulsory training etc. Either way, the matter needs to be progressed quickly and until its resolved, Beale needs to be away from the Wallabies.

Cause of the issues?

It goes deeper than “Beale is an idiot”. For starter, don’t forget that over the last two years we have changed Wallaby coach, captain and the ARU CEO – i.e. all of the key leadership positions within Aus rugby. The replacements were all new to their positions and had little direct prior experience. Then there are other changes on the fringes, like Egerton going and massive changes to the starting team. Collectively, this is a huge and looks like it has caught us out. It also looks like we didn’t really understand all of the causes of disappointing results of the Dean’s era and the impacts of player power (or the toxic environment). Overlay the focus on cost cutting and you get very fertile conditions for issues.

The solution

Unless there is something we don’t know Hooper should stay on as captain for the spring tour. We should appoint an interim coach only at this stage while the ARU works through this in a more orderly manner. I would suggest someone who has experience with the Wallabies, someone like Nucifora, McGahan or even John Connelly. In fact Connelly would be my vote if he is up for it. I would also suggest someone like Bob Dwyer or Rod McQueen spend a month with the ARU (I.e. Bill Pulver) sifting through this debacle to work out what else needs to next. I don’t think we should appoint a permanent coach until this is completed, otherwise we will throw someone else to the wolevs and watch them end up on the scrap heap

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Jake White can't be an option for the EOYT. He has signed with Tonga. If he mooches on Tonga for the Wallabies job you could never take him seriously. It would be one too many times for old Jakey boy.

JW isn't the coach of Tonga, he's only there as a technical advisor! I doubt there would be any problems if he was handed the Wallaby gig!

SMH Article

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Wallabies European coach revealed
Contiki_Part_6_MonacoFrance-10990472.jpg

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
What's Nick Mallett up to these days. I remember he took the Springboks on a 17 match unbeaten run. Outspoken sometimes to his detriment, coached Italy up to the last RWC, that's two international teams he's coached.

Status
Not open for further replies.