• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Final - Western Force v Canberra Vikings - UWA Sports Park - Saturday, 26 Oct - Noon (WST)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Congratulations to the Force. Well deserved win. Harry Lloyd demolished the Vikings front row and had a massive game in the open. MOTM for me. Fergus Lee-Warner best lock on the ground and the Force backrow were far superior to the Vikings. After that, it was just a matter of Deegan setting up the plays for the tries to start raining.

Good thing the Brumbies will have a Wallaby front row next year for the rest to show their wares.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Very very happy with that. Won it in the tough stuff in the first half when the pack were getting on top and then cashed in after half time.

Proud of the boys and it was a great occasion today. Seemed like there were plenty of punters on the hill too.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Congratulations to the Force. Well deserved win. Harry Lloyd demolished the Vikings front row and had a massive game in the open. MOTM for me. Fergus Lee-Warner best lock on the ground and the Force backrow were far superior to the Vikings. After that, it was just a matter of Deegan setting up the plays for the tries to start raining.

Good thing the Brumbies will have a Wallaby front row next year for the rest to show their wares.

I really rate Fergus Lee-Warner. I'm keen to see how he keeps progressing.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Very very happy with that. Won it in the tough stuff in the first half when the pack were getting on top and then cashed in after half time.

Proud of the boys and it was a great occasion today. Seemed like there were plenty of punters on the hill too.

Well said, mate. Hard fought at the start. And plenty of home support for the boys.

Ian Prior.jpg

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That is the reasoning, but it's flawed. Actually, Lonergan is three classes below Joe and his goal kicking should not be a consideration. Either Lolesio or Keunzle could handle the kicks and offer a lot more in the game.

Nah, Lonergan has been good for the Vikings this year, and deserved to start.........

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A couple of different views of the crowd at UWA Park/The Library for the NRC Final.
A warm day in Perth - about 29 deg C - so many people looking for shade.
Fantastic atmosphere of support for the Western Force.

View attachment 11172

View attachment 11170

Thanks for those photos. There's an undefined quality in them - could be the number of people, the kids and families, a sunny day, the setting......just great all round.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My parents came to the match last week as well and Dad said to me: rugby really is a great family game (he played as well and I used to go watch him as a nipper). I think that sums up the photos above for me and more or less what you're saying FF (Folau Fainga'a).

The NRC really feels like good rugby people gathering and enjoying everything about the game. I hope it keeps going.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Toast on the rack.

Seriously, this has to be the worst trophy in global rugby.
What does it actually represent?
If it's anything to do with rugby it's lost on me.....

The old saying was: "if you can't he drink out of it, it's a useless trophy!"

Nevertheless, it's fantastic to have the Perth Spirit AND the Western Force on ithe NRC trophy.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If it's anything to do with rugby it's lost on me...

Apparently rugby elements are in the design ……but I'll leave the details for that aside.

I don't mind it. The reason being is that it's unusual and the 'Toast Rack' name builds a bit of a folk story so that it becomes recognisable.

Cup trophies are great, but there are millions of cups.

Another example is Australian soccer's 'Toilet Seat' trophy. Initially FFA didn't like the fans' name for it, but they won't change the shape of it now after a decade when it became something of an icon.

The NRC will be lucky to see out a decade while factions within rugby remain determined to kill off this national comp.

NRC needs all the promotional stories it can get.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If it's anything to do with rugby it's lost on me...

Nevertheless, it's fantastic to have the Perth Spirit AND the Western Force on ithe NRC trophy.

old and new.

Leather of the old rugby balls form the base.

The more contemporary silver representing the more modern day and is half a rugby ball (toast rack are the laces).

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
Thanks for those photos. There's an undefined quality in them - could be the number of people, the kids and families, a sunny day, the setting..just great all round.

All of the above. And a crowd that appreciates the privilege of seeing great rugby in a great setting. Both teams were given warm applause at the end of the game, as seen in this video (thanks to Garth Venter for providing the video)

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
74231844_2564858183552915_1229328955622817792_o.jpg

Rugby Union has some fantastic values - many of which are easily glossed over in the professional era.
This is a fantastic photo which says so much about our great game.
From the Western Force Facebook Page with the caption "Respect".
Pete Samu and Jeremy Thrush sharing a moment after the final whistle.

Footnote: Evidently Jeremy Thrush had not previously won a Final in any competition. Meant a lot to him to win this one, and it showed in his efforts throughout the game. Makes his time with Samu even more noteworthy.