• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Law Variations - have your say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
After the first week i think the rule changes/interpretations have had the desired effect.

Whilst only one match was broadcast the reports have indicated that there hasn't been any massive increase in cynical fouls, and teams are obviously boycotting penalty goals to go for tries instead.

The importance of kicking hasn't been lost with the Canberra Vikings losing to the Spirit despite scoring the same amount of tries. Having a 3 point conversion has ensured that kickers are still a vital piece of the team.

I didn't see any time wasting at the scrums or taking shot for goals in the Brisbane City vs Sydney Stars game, what about the rest of the games?

I believe there were 2 YCs for cynical fouls in each of the games in Canberra and Coogee. Might be a bit early to judge yet.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The statistic which i want to see is the statistic of how long the ball is in play for compared to Super Rugby and Test Rugby. It should in theory be statistically higher due to the shot clock on the scrum and penalty kicks, as well as the reduced number of penalty goals.

In terms of providing bang for buck, the longer the ball is in play then the better it is for the fans and viewers.
Will be interesting to see the games they put up on YouTube, and whether they release the stats associated with time in play.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The observation of Pfitzy is an interesting one. The Brisbane game seemed to finish earlier than traditional games. Less time wasting (no penalty shots) etc. Anyone pick that with the other games?

It was scheduled to start 10 minutes earlier than a Super Rugby game.

Penalty shots and scrum resets shouldn't change the length of the game because the clock doesn't stop.

Besides starting earlier, I think the biggest difference to the length of the game was not using the TMO. That makes a significant difference in my view.

Maybe there were also less lengthy injury breaks?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
37.18 is excellent for a game with 10 tries. The time between a try being scored and the ball being kicked off again is fairly significant. Over a minute each time.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Disagree, we saw the cards come out. I don't see there being more cynical stuff than other games and they're scoring tries too so where's the impact of red zone infringements? I'd like the conversions to go back to 2 though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I see an increase in cards for cynical infringements anywhere on the park. That's good enough for me

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The cards are after what 4 penalties, so 3 and no sanction, "9" points down under real rules

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm not certain you can readily attribute the increase in tries scored to the law changes.
This level of rugby was always going to have plenty of tries scored. At this level, defences are less organised and tacklers are not generally as competent or skilled compared to super rugby.
All the law changes have done is removed penalty kicks. I'm not yet convinced that the product is better for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

As many have noted there's a bit of a barbarians feel to it to date.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The cards are after what 4 penalties, so 3 and no sanction, "9" points down under real rules
No. Because not all those penalties are in kickable distance. Is a key difference to refs just going to the pocket in the red zone or handing out multiple warnings.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)

Keep in mind if you kick a goal on the 1st penalty the ball then goes back to neutral territory. You may not get it back into the red zone for a long time.

It took about 10 minutes for the Vikings to get a yellow card for repeated infringements on Thursday night because the Rams kept attacking (and scored 1 try in the process - then a 2nd after the card). In a normal game it wouldn't have happened anywhere near that quickly. The Rams might have kicked a goal or two but because the Vikings then get the kick off, the pressure on their defence would have been less (and less immediate). The Vikings may well have had their own opportunities in the mean time, which would balance things out in the referees mind.

After that card the Vikings were forced to defend with a lot more discipline for the rest (and majority) of the match.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I don't equate penalty goals to boring rugby, but it does get boring when games are full of penalty goals.

The new laws have been a breath of fresh air in the way they have negated this aspect of rugby.

I'd love to see these laws trialled at a higher level. The game would be more consistently pleasing for the spectator.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I was against the points change for penalty/conversion originally, but I have decided it was a masters stroke.

My concern was that it could diminish the importance of kicking for goal, but with the number of tries being scored, in part because of the change they are getting just as much opportunity to kick as before. And from harsher angles a lot of the time. It might actually advantage our kickers.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The longer the season goes on, the more tedious the NRC is getting for me. It's completely one dimensional now and just doesn't excite me. I certainly am interested in the results from a competition point of view and supporting my team but as far as a spectacle goes IMO they have diminished the game and the product.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'll also add that at the beginning, most folk that were supportive of the changes, held that position with the view that they would 'reduce' the amount of penalties.
I don't have any stats on me but any idea how many penalty goals have been attempted so far?
My view is that if the brief was to reduce penalties then they have gone too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.