• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Matwijow is signed with the Reds for the year, they could release him early otherwise he will be playing for a QLD NRC team.

As for some of those Sevens players, I doubt they would be playing unless they are off contract from the Sevens team.

I suspect many players are only contracted up to the olympics.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Pama Fou and Cameron Clark have been linked to the Rebels and Tahs respectively.

Either way, I don't think it's perhaps as doom and gloom as you're framing it JM.

Naiyaravoro will be back and will likely play for the Rams. Damian Fitzpatrick is rumoured to be on his way back too. Hilterbrand didn't play last season, he should turn out for. the Rays. Ta'avao will end up at one of the other 2 sides.

Justin Marsters played regularly forced the Rising last season and is now at West Harbor. And if the Lachlan Mitchell named in the Gordon firsts is the one I'm thinking of, there's a good player for the Rays.

Paul Asquith, Mick Snowden, Tim Metcher and Cam Crawford are all out of contract with the Rebels, and while some/all of them may be re-signed, the Rebels probably won't want to, or be able to squeeze them and all the contracted players into the Rising Squad.

The Oligarchy certainly looks like the best side, don't see that changing, but there should be sufficient talent available that the other two aren't necessarily the Whipping boys that the Sydney teams were previously.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The Rays should be fine. They were mid table-ish last year and could potentially now add Doyle, Chubb, Lousi and Holloway to their side via Southern Districts. Ta'avao is linked to Norths so he'll be at the Rays, if he's not representing Australia (joke) :). They can also add Rodney Iona from Vikings whose now at Warringah and Matt Lucas.

For the Rams to be competitive they are going to need a lot of help importing players from Perth, Canberra and Melbourne. Usually those NRC teams lock away their Sydney orienting players first because the Qld NRC teams don't want outsiders any way. So the Rams will need the ARU's help to temporarily relocate those Qld Super Rugby players from Perth, Canberra, and Melbourne. Otherwise they are going to be much worse than last year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Matwijow is signed with the Reds for the year, they could release him early otherwise he will be playing for a QLD NRC team.

Or back to the ITM, it would seem. I'm surprised and disappointed that this would be permitted.

QUEENSLAND lock Ben Matwijow, who is well known in Sydney after playing 100 games for Norths in the Shute Shield, will join Kiwi ITM Cup side Taranaki at the end of this season.​

Matwijow, who won last year’s ITM Cup with Canterbury, has been lured north by coach Colin Cooper to the Naki, who finished fourth in last year’s premiership.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I included Matwijow to show that the Eagles can and probably will get quality players from somewhere unexpected due to their NSW country links (Michael Wells could be another one). But they really don't need it because the combination of these three clubs is already IMO too strong in terms of having all three NSW teams on an even level. At least I get to follow a strong team though so I'm not really complaining. Subtract Matwijow from the hypothetical list and add Dean Mumm.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Rays should be fine. They were mid table-ish last year and could potentially now add Doyle, Chubb, Lousi and Holloway to their side via Southern Districts. Ta'avao is linked to Norths so he'll be at the Rays, if he's not representing Australia (joke) :). They can also add Rodney Iona from Vikings whose now at Warringah and Matt Lucas.

For the Rams to be competitive they are going to need a lot of help importing players from Perth, Canberra and Melbourne. Usually those NRC teams lock away their Sydney orienting players first because the Qld NRC teams don't want outsiders any way. So the Rams will need the ARU's help to temporarily relocate those Qld Super Rugby players from Perth, Canberra, and Melbourne. Otherwise they are going to be much worse than last year.

So by that reckoning, the Canberra side (whatever it is going to be called) could tie up Tom Staniforth this year because he's not a Qld player. Just having a bit of fun:) - but I really do hope Tom stays this year rather than playing for the Eagles.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Pama Fou and Cameron Clark have been linked to the Rebels and Tahs respectively.

Either way, I don't think it's perhaps as doom and gloom as you're framing it JM.

Naiyaravoro will be back and will likely play for the Rams. Damian Fitzpatrick is rumoured to be on his way back too. Hilterbrand didn't play last season, he should turn out for. the Rays. Ta'avao will end up at one of the other 2 sides.

Justin Marsters played regularly forced the Rising last season and is now at West Harbor. And if the Lachlan Mitchell named in the Gordon firsts is the one I'm thinking of, there's a good player for the Rays.

Paul Asquith, Mick Snowden, Tim Metcher and Cam Crawford are all out of contract with the Rebels, and while some/all of them may be re-signed, the Rebels probably won't want to, or be able to squeeze them and all the contracted players into the Rising Squad.

The Oligarchy certainly looks like the best side, don't see that changing, but there should be sufficient talent available that the other two aren't necessarily the Whipping boys that the Sydney teams were previously.

Lachlan Mitchell is not the former Syd Uni and Rebels player.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Cool. Just knew he had moved on from his media role from the Rebels recently and that was the first time I've seen his name anywhere else. Good to know.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wildly Successful? Seems to accomplish the best part of fuck all from an outside POV, particularly with all that hogwash that was Paddy Ryan getting 10 minutes in 2nd Grade then coming off the bench and counting for nowt.

I could be corrected, but I think his comment was dripping with sarcasm.:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The inevitable news sees the best performing NSW franchises from 2015 joining for 2016.

WHere does this leave the Rams and Rays? Assuming that Pro Players return to the NRC teams that their Shute Shield clubs are associated with the merger of the Eagles with the Stars could see a 23 man team of pro players in the Eagles Mk 2, with about 2 pro players each in the Rams and Rays.

The NSW Gin and Tonic Club will be happy that there will be a NSW based team that should be competitive with Brisbane City, and hold a reasonable chance of bring the title and the Horan Little Shield to NSW. That is all that matters, isn't it. Do they really care about the other 2 NSW based NRC franchises?

I sincerely hope that they spread the talent a little more equally to make all three NSW teams viable and competitive. Perhaps there should be a Player Points Cap imposed on the NRC similar to the wildly successful Player Points Cap that is used in NSW Premiership Rugby.

In past years, there hasn't been an ironclad connection between SS club and NRC club.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Just extend the Shute

Earlier models of an NRC revolved around an end of season competition comprising the top clubs from SS, Brisbane PR, Canberra, Melbourne and Perth. The ARU decided to go with a model comprising fresh names and identities. It remains to be seen which one is correct.

Unforunately, there exists in Australian rugby a pathological hatred of SS and similar competitions by a wide range of people. One of the biggest problems we face is petty parochialism and this is yet another example of it. Sad but true.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Unforunately, there exists in Australian rugby a pathological hatred of SS and similar competitions by a wide range of people. One of the biggest problems we face is petty parochialism and this is yet another example of it. Sad but true.

I think you'll find most of the petty parochialism started inside the ranks of Shute Shield, with ludicrous claims from stalwarts of "nothing wrong with club rugby - won us a world cup!" without accepting the issues running deep within that scene.

I'm all for clubs like Sydney Uni going it alone in a national comp at this point. It will either sink or swim, but mostly swim at the expense of nearly everyone else.

Because that's exactly what they want.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Significantly less pathological hatred, much more, irked by the fact that a lot seem to fail to realise that best in the land =/= anywhere near good enough for what's necessary.

Also irked by the clamouring to be seen both as grassroots village clubs and as elite development vehicles. 12 clubs, all running 4 Grades and 3 Colts is far too much for the latter, and the closed nature of the competition, particularly with the dearth in ability between the top 5 or and the bottom 3 or so, at least for mine is bordering on insulting to junior and suburban clubs who form the genuine grassroots.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
One thing that is frustrating me with the NRC is the number of players ending up having a short season, and possibly looking at other codes etc because they like playing.

People want to play rugby and there season is cut short, what do they do?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Significantly less pathological hatred, much more, irked by the fact that a lot seem to fail to realise that best in the land =/= anywhere near good enough for what's necessary.

Also irked by the clamouring to be seen both as grassroots village clubs and as elite development vehicles. 12 clubs, all running 4 Grades and 3 Colts is far too much for the latter, and the closed nature of the competition, particularly with the dearth in ability between the top 5 or and the bottom 3 or so, at least for mine is bordering on insulting to junior and suburban clubs who form the genuine grassroots.

I made a post elsewhere "ARU Declining thingy" about the alternate universe where existing clubs were asked to pour first grade into a new comp run in parallel with club rugby. Might level the playing field. Might not.

T

TOCC

Sure some people in Australian Rugby may not fully appreciate the Shute Shield, but similarly people within the Shute Shield are equally guilty of parochialism and putting their own interests ahead of what's good for the game.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I made a post elsewhere "ARU Declining thingy" about the alternate universe where existing clubs were asked to pour first grade into a new comp run in parallel with club rugby. Might level the playing field. Might not.
Saw that too.

I think there's a combination of a "put up or shut up" scenario and one which could potentially be good for setting the groundwork for the sort of club framework/competition.

Rationalise the Shute Shield. Merge or cut teams till you've got 7 left, then add a Canberra/ACTRU/SIRU/JID Cup/Whatever you want to call it side based out of Canberra. Have them run 3 Grades and 2 Colts each, with the Brumbies and Tahs players in the competition.

If that's successful (which in an ideal world, it would be) drop it down to a firsts, reserves and Colts, add four Brisbane/Queensland sides. If that continues to be successful, can the NRC, drop the reserves sides and add Melbourne amd Perth teams. If that format is commercially and financial viable, then, and ONLY then, consider dropping out of the Soup.

In the mean time, the current Shute Shield sides, regardless of whether they end up in this "new" competition, can run fully amateur teams in the Suburban competition(s), and effectively do what they want to do now (in being both grassroots and elite) just as independently run bits of the same club, rather than all under one banner.

Now, well, that's a pipedream. Who knows if there's a desire for that sort of plan, either from the clubs themselves or the ARU. Just fiddly little ideas in my head.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If that's successful (which in an ideal world, it would be) drop it down to a firsts, reserves and Colts
It's been tried, mate. The patient didn't like the prescription and stopped taking the medicine.

Could have been a viable pathway 20 years ago, but that time has passed.

The old clubs missed their chance and collectively don't have the wherewithal anymore to steer the process. One or a select few at most will play on in some form at the top.

The rest are Montreal second city.