• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rd 6: Canberra Vikings v Sydney, 12pm 5 October

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A few changes for the Vikings this week.

1. Bo ABRA
2. Connal MCINERNEY
3. Angus WAGNER
4. Darcy SWAIN (c)
5. Nick FROST
6. Pete SAMU
7. Will MILLER
8. Rob VALETINI
9. Joe POWELL
10. Bayley KUENZLE
11. Mack HANSEN
12. Irae SIMONE
13. Len IKITAU
14. Tom WRIGHT
15. Tom BANKS

REPLACEMENTS

16. Lachlan LONERGAN
17. Fred KAIHEA
18. Tom ROSS
19. Blake ENEVER
20. Angus ALLEN
21. Ryan LONERGAN
22. Toni PULU
23. George MORSEU

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Again, it will come down to the front row holding their own in the scrum. Certainly looked a lot better last week, but the Drua are not one of the stronger scrumming sides.

Have to mention Blake Enever too. Although he's on the bench this week, he has really put in huge efforts in the NRC this year. Semms to be the go to catcher at lineout time, and his play in the open has been excellent.

Keunzle was quite impressive against the Drua and one or two more games like that will, I think, cement him in the No 10 spot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Have to mention Blake Enever too. Although he's on the bench this week, he has really put in huge efforts in the NRC this year. Semms to be the go to catcher at lineout time, and his play in the open has been excellent.

Interesting...........

I had the complete opposite opinion on his NRC form - I felt it's justified the decision to leave him out of the Brumbies matchday squad all year.

His lineout work is good as always, but he needs to be more physically imposing, and he's being overshadowed by the young up and comers.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Swain has been one of Canberra's best, but Enever has made a mountain of tackles, which has probably allowed his fellow forwards to stay a little fresher, and helped them make more run metres (and Samu to make a tonne of steals).

I've been disappointed so far with Will Miller, and hope to see Samu start ahead of him when Cusack is unavailable next year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've been disappointed so far with Will Miller, and hope to see Samu start ahead of him when Cusack is unavailable next year.

I doubt Miller would be starting over Samu, who will likely continue at 8 or 6.

But agreed......... I would continue with Brown or even Cusack at 7.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
I think my first choice back row in the absence of Cusack would be Valetini, McCaffrey and Samu.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd have to have Brown in the 7 spot. That would mean Valetini and Samu in 6 and 8, but not sure of the best way round.

EDIT : However, it looks like the conversation has switched from the Vikings game thread to covering the Brumbies in 2020.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting game so far. Initially I thought it looked like Canberra were going to put up a big score - and they still might. Sydney’s backs playing a bit like they met in the car park. But Sydney’s forwards have been good in the last 15 and have brought Sydney right back into it. The Vikings making a few mistakes to help them along.

It has helped Vikings have only had 14 for the last 10. 15 on 15 again so I guess we’ll see if that tilts the game back to Canberra.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Vikings back in front with a well taken length of the field try. Poor lineout control by Sydney led to a dropped ball which Vikings pounced on. Some very good offloading in the sequence.

Phantom

Frank Nicholson (4)
Is Miller injured, started well than seemed to get a knock in an attempted tackle, certainly not strong in the rucks, maybe get Enever on for Swain as he is whinging around a bit with his thumb and get Allen on for Miller, add some metal in the ruck.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Tom Wright scores in the corner. He’s played well, as has Pete Samu. Everyone else has been a bit so so for mine.

Darcy Swain off with a hand injury which he copped early and caused him obvious discomfort.

Edit: Actually Mack Hansen has been pretty good too.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Valetini building into the game too. Simone has looked good. Pretty decent game tbf, some great skill at times

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Sydney score in the corner, but made it much harder than it should have been. Should have scored easily with numbers - but consecutive passes behind the shoulder of the receiver slowed the attack too much.

Anyway, still scored and nailed the conversion from the touch line. 8 point lead to Canberra.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Valetini building into the game too. Simone has looked good. Pretty decent game tbf, some great skill at times
Maybe I’m missing some of the grunt work, but I’ve been disappointed with Valetini. Sydney are offering up plenty of chances but Vikings pack isn’t putting them to the sword at all.

Similarly Simone, Powell & Banks have all had some really good moments but also some poor ones.

I agree with your last comment - some great skills at times but also a bit scratchy for periods.

Vikings generally have been dominant at the breakdown though.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
As I type that the Vikings backs with some good lead up play results in a penalty try (high tackle on the Vikings winger).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Consolation try to Sydney on full time.

Vikings get the win and, to be fair, never really looked like losing. Certainly at times their class was clear. I’m probably just a bit surprised they weren’t more dominant.

Hopefully Swain’s hand isn’t too bad. Quality player who had some very good involvements early before he got injured. In the end I think it was the good work by the Vikings at the breakdown that got them home, led by Samu and the front row. Won a number of turnovers and had Sydney under a fair bit of pressure there.