• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rd5: Canberra Vikings v Fijian Drua, Sat 28 September 12pm

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Couple of changes for the Vikings

1. Bo ABRA 2. Connal MCINERNEY 3. Angus WAGNER 4. Darcy SWAIN (c) 5. Blake ENEVER 6. Pete SAMU 7. Will MILLER 8. Rob VALETINI 9. Ryan LONERGAN 10. Bayley KUENZLE 11. Tom WRIGHT 12. Irae SIMONE 13. Len IKITAU 14. Toni PULU 15. Tom BANKS
REPLACEMENTS 16. Lachlan LONERGAN 17. Fred KAIHEA 18. Max BODE 19. Nick FROST 20. Angus ALLEN 21. Joe POWELL 22. Mack HANSEN 23. George MORSEU

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
McInerney's return hopefully will bolster the front row at scrum time. The Vikings' scrum has been so poor, I am wondering if there is a problem in the second row?

So far, I've seen little involvement from Miller and both Samu and Valetini give the impression they'd rather be somewhere else (which I'm very sure they both would).

Hopefully Keunzle can get the backline operating better than it has been, but probably depends on the forwards getting at least parity to give the backs reasonable ball.

This game needs to be the start of a three match winning streak at home, or the finals can be kissed goodbye.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Interesing that the Rd 5 preview has Drua in 4th spot, ahead of the Vikings:

Canberra was pushed out of the top four last week after the Drua finally clicked to notch a first win of the season.​
Both teams are sitting on nine points, just two off third place, with the Drua's superior for-and-against handing them fourth and a nominal semi-final spot after the Vikings' big loss in Perth.​
which is different to the official ladder.

(I s'pose it will get resolved this weekend - unless there's another draw):

2019 NRC ladder after Round 4.jpg

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Interesing that the Rd 5 preview has Drua in 4th spot, ahead of the Vikings:

Canberra was pushed out of the top four last week after the Drua finally clicked to notch a first win of the season.​
Both teams are sitting on nine points, just two off third place, with the Drua's superior for-and-against handing them fourth and a nominal semi-final spot after the Vikings' big loss in Perth.​
which is different to the official ladder.

(I s'pose it will get resolved this weekend - unless there's another draw):

View attachment 11071
I’m guessing that Vikings 2 wins puts them ahead. For and against is probably what they’d go to if they were on equal wins.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I’m guessing that Vikings 2 wins puts them ahead. For and against is probably what they’d go to if they were on equal wins.
That could be it.

Although, 3 years ago comments by members of this parish seemed to back the alternative view:

GAGR benn-robinson-bell comment.jpg

Be good to know for sure what the tie-breaker rules are with a tight race for the semis coming up.

I think Brett McKay contributes items to rugby.com.au these days. He might be the best placed to clarify again.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Vikings back in the game with bonus point win. Scrum was much more stable but that could just be that the Drua were less a challenge than other teams. More aggressive at the breakdown, especially in the second half co-inciding with Angus Allen's introduction.

Irae Simone outstanding. Lonergan's goal kicking off target today.

Happy

Dave Cowper (27)
Great weather for watching rugby, although only a small crowd turned up.

Simone and Ikatau were excellent, as were the back three of Pulu, Wright and Banks, but my man of the match was Samu. I thought Kuenzle looked sharp, with an excellent pass and a strong running game. He probably ran too much, though and was turned over a time or two. He also bombed a try when he didn’t give it to a support when he had made a great break late in the game. Kuenzle was also strong in defence.

Scrums were fairly even, maybe a slight advantage to the Drua, but the Vikings dominated the line out, stealing a couple of throws and forcing Drua to throw to the front most of the game.

The Drua scored one try late to their left wing when he was given too much space down the sideline, but their other three tries were scored by bashing it over with their forwards from a metre or two out. They did have a couple of great breaks with fantastic offloads but were denied by desperate defence.

All in all, an enjoyable game to watch.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
In fairness to Lonergan, the three shots he missed were all sideline conversions. Everything reasonably kickable was kicked.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What a great place to watch a game. On the balcony of the clubhouse in the sun with an elevated view from between the half way line and 22m line. Good beer on tap, Asahi Black, and lunch brought to the table. Does life get any better?

To be even handed about Lonergan though, he also put in some very ordinary clearance and box kicks. Not at his best today.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
What a great place to watch a game. On the balcony of the clubhouse in the sun with an elevated view from between the half way line and 22m line. Good beer on tap, Asahi Black, and lunch brought to the table. Does life get any better?

To be even handed about Lonergan though, he also put in some very ordinary clearance and box kicks. Not at his best today.
It was a glorious day in Canberra for rugby watching, and home early enough to watch the Pumas v Tonga. Does life get any better?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Watched a replay. I think the Vikings/Brumbies might have found the No 10 to replace Christian. Bayley Keunzle provided more variety to the attack as well as being a threat with ball in hand himself. Also a strong defender. Looks the goods to me.

Much stronger performances by both Samu and Valetini this week too. Valetini is simply a rock wall in defense. Ball carriers come to a complete full stop when they hit him and that's usually just before he forces them backwards a few metres as well. Pete Samu makes more ground in contact than any other player in the Aussie Super teams. His omission from the Wallabies is evidence beyond doubt of Cheika's poor ability to recognise and reward talent or his penchant for holding grudges.

Very good performances by Simone, Ikitau, Wright, Pulu and Banks too. There is the basis for a top flight backline for the Brumbies next year. And Kuridrani will be back too. Simone is one of the more creative players going around.

So long as the pack holds up to the scrum challenge over the last two weeks, the Vikings are good things to make the final again this year, I believe.

B

Bobby Sands

Watched a replay. I think the Vikings/Brumbies might have found the No 10 to replace Christian. Bayley Keunzle provided more variety to the attack as well as being a threat with ball in hand himself. Also a strong defender. Looks the goods to me.

Much stronger performances by both Samu and Valetini this week too. Valetini is simply a rock wall in defense. Ball carriers come to a complete full stop when they hit him and that's usually just before he forces them backwards a few metres as well. Pete Samu makes more ground in contact than any other player in the Aussie Super teams. His omission from the Wallabies is evidence beyond doubt of Cheika's poor ability to recognise and reward talent or his penchant for holding grudges.

Very good performances by Simone, Ikitau, Wright, Pulu and Banks too. There is the basis for a top flight backline for the Brumbies next year. And Kuridrani will be back too. Simone is one of the more creative players going around.

So long as the pack holds up to the scrum challenge over the last two weeks, the Vikings are good things to make the final again this year, I believe.

Correct. Its ludicrous he isn't there.