• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 1 Western Force v Qld Country

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Noticed crowd for this game at UWA down on what usually get...suspect WA rugby public starting to get jaded on fact WF not in any proper compettion after 2 years. I hope GRR going ahead for 2020 as otherwise drop off will be much worse then what seen this year.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thought Nick Jooste showe some nice touches today - always remember impact he made on game watched when he was playing for Sydney Stars where showed great deft touches and skills.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Thought Nick Jooste showe some nice touches today - always remember impact he made on game watched when he was playing for Sydney Stars where showed great deft touches and skills.
Are you sure he played for Sydney Stars? He signed straight out of school from WA for Brumbies then had a stint in QLD before returning to the West AFAIK

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought Nick Jooste was a super amazing long distance goal kicker but yet saw him take no shots at goal

There is video footage of him knocking them over from ~60 metres, but that would only really be useful for penalty kicks. Unless I am mistaken, all shots at goal were conversions. Being able to boot a long way doesn't make you good at kicking conversions from the sideline ~30-35m out.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
100% sure Silverado nick jooste played for the stars as was at the game at Leichhardt oval where he scored a try as a year 12 schoolboy. Theo strang and nick jooste were in stars squad as schoolboys although Theo strang never played a game for them

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Match report from the Western Force web site:

The Western Force left it late but saved their best till last, scoring the final three tries of an enthralling battle against Queensland Country to win 50-49 at UWA Sports Park in their opening National Rugby Championship game.

An incredible display of attacking rugby delivered 15 tries and 99 points.

The result could easily have gone either way. In fact, the Queenslanders enjoyed the lead for all but the last four minutes of the game, however, a never say die attitude by the Force saw them peg back the visitors and claim a stirring win.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
100% sure Silverado nick jooste played for the stars as was at the game at Leichhardt oval where he scored a try as a year 12 schoolboy. Theo strang and nick jooste were in stars squad as schoolboys although Theo strang never played a game for them

You’re wrong. Joote for the stars. He played against them for the Spirit at Leichhardt Oval and did score a try.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I know the commentators loved Paisami, and ill give him 10/10 for effort, but I thought he hogged the ball a bit and he didn't use his outside man as much as he could have. He is clearly a crash-ball type player, but needs to be able to pass the ball and give the wingers some ball, especially when you have the likes of Dagunu and Campbell in the back 3

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reg Actually that would make sense he plyed for spirit at least my memory of him scoring a try in game involving the stars was correct given was at the game and still remember the try he scored as was
A good try. Lot of talk at the game amongst the crowd (all 500 of us lol) that day - about him being a school boy etc and looking a real talent. Pity he has not realised that potential.

I think it was also the only nrc game he played (correction only game he started as played 4 games for spirit) as well that year as a schoolboy. Theo strang was also in year 12 and part of stars squad but never played a game

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Jooste played for the Spirit in 2015 and then signed for the Brumbies in 2016.. when did he play for the Stars?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep i checked - played 4 games for spirit where only start was against the stars where he was a shining star in a game that probably helped clinched him the brumbies contract after finishing school. He played very well for the force yesterday at 12 so hopefully he can finally kick on and realise the talent I saw on offer that day back at Leichhardt oval.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
There is video footage of him knocking them over from ~60 metres, but that would only really be useful for penalty kicks. Unless I am mistaken, all shots at goal were conversions. Being able to boot a long way doesn't make you good at kicking conversions from the sideline ~30-35m out.
Ie you ar saying another hodge

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Noticed crowd for this game at UWA down on what usually get.suspect WA rugby public starting to get jaded on fact WF not in any proper compettion after 2 years. I hope GRR going ahead for 2020 as otherwise drop off will be much worse then what seen this year.

Don't read too much into the crowd.
  • First weekend after the local club rugby final
  • Fathers' Day weekend means many out of town for a weekend with Dad.
  • No sense of Western Force fans being jaded.
  • Forrest has already announced that GRR is happening in 2020 (just dotting Is and crossing Ts)
The two comments after "suspect" are a bit like "when are you going to stop beating your wife?"
No facts but let's sow the seeds of doubt.
Rugby in WA is doing fine - despite RA's best efforts.
(and don't believe a word that Castle has to say.)