• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 3: UC Vikings vs Greater Sydney Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
4rLnog3b_normal.jpg
vs https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xap1/v/t1.0-1/p50x50/10563032_325459617620101_7634819428324859865_n.jpg?oh=f190d462caf2de25780450b70cb1f234&oe=5638C983&__gda__=1446364341_b7f3f9fb711b8f70a3612bc0d77265f4

When: Saturday 5 September. Kick-off 2pm AEST
Where: Viking Park, Canberra.
Match Referee: Will Houston
Assistant Referees: James Morris, Matt Hogan

Broadcast Information: foxsports.com.au and FOX SPORTS Now

2015 UC Vikings Form Guide: BW
2015 Greater Sydney Rams Form Guide: LB

Last Time They Met: 28/08/14; UC Vikings 37-18 Greater Sydney Rams; Pirtek Stadium, Sydney

Match Notes: The Vikings won their first game since Round 3 last season when they beat the NSW Country Eagles last Saturday. The Rams, meanwhile, return from their bye week searching for their first win of the 2015 season.

4rLnog3b_normal.jpg
UC Vikings

1. Allan Ala'alatoa
2. Robbie ABEL
3. Ben ALEXANDER
4. Rory ARNOLD
5. Blake ENEVER
6. Jordan SMILER
7. Jarrad BUTLER (c)
8. Ita VAEA
9. Joe POWELL
10. Rodney IONA
11. Lausii TALIUALI
12. James DARGAVILLE
13. Nigel AH WONG
14. Jerome NIUMATA
15. Christian LEALIIFANO

16. Connal McINERNEY
17. Sione TAULA
18. Leslie LEULUA'IALI'I-MAKIN
19. Dean OAKMAN-HUNT
20. Rowan PERRY
21. Brent HAMLIN
22. Aidan TOUA
23. Frankie FAINIFO

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xap1/v/t1.0-1/p50x50/10563032_325459617620101_7634819428324859865_n.jpg?oh=f190d462caf2de25780450b70cb1f234&oe=5638C983&__gda__=1446364341_b7f3f9fb711b8f70a3612bc0d77265f4Greater Sydney Rams
1. Jed GILLESPIE
2. Siliva SILIVA
3. Sam NEEDS
4. Fili TUFUI
5. Peter ALTONA
6. Jono HAYES
7. Cohen MASSON
8. Bradford KAPA
9. Dewet ROOS
10. Jai AYOUB (c)
11. Brad CURTIS
12. Michael McDOUGALL
13. Denny GODINET
14. Nick BATGER
15. Paul ASQUITH

RESERVES
16. Cameron ORR
17. Max HOLLAND
18. Barnaby ABDALE-WEIR
19. Will MUNRO
20. Rahboni WARREN-VOSAYACO
21. Taylor ADAMS
22. Rohan SAIFOLOI
23. Brenden HARTMANN

@RugbyReg says (http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/nrc-2015-round-3-preview/):
The Vikings kick started their 2015 NRC campaign at a level many predicted they would – and with a bonus point win. NSW Country Eagles were the recipients of that defeat and now the Rams, fresh off a bye, are the first team to travel to Canberra to combat the Vikings this year.
If form is a guide, then the Vikings fans can feel somewhat confident leading into this weeks’ game. The Rams lost their Round 1 game to the Eagles which would indicate they will be under the pump again this Saturday.
But the chance to recoup and regroup should serve the Rams well. They did display an intensity and ability to match it with the big guns in their first game and would have watched with interest at the proceedings at Woollahra Oval last week.
Key Matchups:
At the back of the pack we have a couple of early round stand outs with unique backgrounds in the game. Isaac Thompson for the Vikings is a former New Zealand Schoolboys scrumhalf who has made his way in the John I Dent Cup and scored 17 points for his side last week. Paul Asquith is a league junior with experience with the Australian 7s team who proved elusive for the Rams in Round 1. Also watch out for the battle between a couple of scrappers as scrumhalves in the Vikings’ Joe Powell and Dewet Roos from the Rams, both of whom play with the fast paced intensity that’s needed from a 9 in the NRC.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Would have preferred Christian coming in at 10 rather than 15. Would have allowed the goal kicking of Thompson to be retained as well. Only other change I can see is Benny A for Les Leulua'Iali'i Makin at THP and Aiden Toua on the bench. Frankie Fainifo was strong last week off the bench. Looking forward to seeing him get some good game time tomorrow.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I suspect that the Vikings will have far too much firepower in the Engine Room which will starve the Rams of any decent pill.

The Vikings loose forward trio pack more punch than a Scandinavian Longboat's Shore Raiding Party and they should make life for the Rams Hairdressers about as much fun as my young bloke would have at an Andre Rieu concert.

Bring Back The Ruck

Herbert Moran (7)
I suspect that the Vikings will have far too much firepower in the Engine Room which will starve the Rams of any decent pill.

The Vikings loose forward trio pack more punch than a Scandinavian Longboat's Shore Raiding Party and they should make life for the Rams Hairdressers about as much fun as my young bloke would have at an Andre Rieu concert.

Yeah, we will be up against it HJ.
But its all a learning experience for our boys, only one player in that Rams squad has proper super contract for next year so far.
So look out for possible Barbarians selections!
Hopefully it wont be a wasted trip to the capital and we get some positives out of the game.
A team with 5 Pirates cant be that bad;)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Big bonus point win to the Vikings. Not sure of the final score but something like 65 - 26. Jarrad Butler named MOTM I think, but for mine, Jordan Smiler was the standout. If you haven't seen it, look for Smiler's big hit on a Rams' player in about the 78th minute. As someone close by said at the match, "Did anyone see where that big red bus went?"

Despite the scoreline, Rams were in the game until about the 60 minute mark, but the Vikings finished all over them.

ACT Griffins beat the Rams' second side 80 - 21 in the earlier game. JID comp seems to be pretty strong.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Credit to the Rams today. They started slowly but got back into the game despite not much of the ball and took the limited chances they had. To get within 8 at one stage was a great effort considering what they were up against but that final 20 minutes was the difference.

Some good things and not so good things for both teams to work out. The Rams scrum needs a bit of work and were shunted backwards a number of times. In saying that, their pick and drive work was ok up against 7/8 Brumbies forward pack.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Just seen the video highlights on the roar: Does anyone have a copy of the full match? Or know where to find one?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ They only have the Qld Derby, and the Rays vs Rising fixtures up from Round 3 ATM.

Don't know what the holdup is. Not enough interns?

Frustrating if you want to see player performances before submitting tips for Round 4.:mad:

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Very frustrating!
But,still an improvement on last years coverage,so I'll cop it on the chin.
Especially as its at no additional cost.
Hopefully they will get their act together.

Status
Not open for further replies.