• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC ROUND 2: WESTERN FORCE VS NSW COUNTRY EAGLES

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
20180909_144542.jpg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
NSW Country Eagles had better second half and should improve from here and be in the mix for the semi's. As for Sydney Rays I can't see that as a possibility as they were pretty woeful.

The Force against the Drua will be interesting game as for me they (Drua) have been the standouts so far.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Here's a photo of the Hill. What it doesn't show is the kids area off to the right, plus those behind the players area opposite the hill.

View attachment 10258
Looks like a great spot for Rugby.

Graham Parkinson did a match report on the front page and said there could have been as many as 5000 there.

Does anyone have an actual crowd stat?

Dont think there is quite that number in the pic.

Great effort by the Force fans in any case to support what was a great game.

Pity the other NSW side couldn't muster some sort of crowd a Concord. It looked very sparse indeed.

Don't even think the boys Mothers even wanted to be seen at that game.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
There were plenty of others in the kids area, and opposite the hill. Hard to judge the crowd though, because there were long lines for the food and drinks, and people standing 5 or 6 deep at the back of the hill.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't think there were 5,000 because I think the hill only really holds 3,000. And I have to admit, the queues for the food trucks make me think they should bring in more trucks. If you wanted to order anything, you'd have to take the gamble that you'd miss a quarter of the game in line waiting to order and for the order afterwards.

There's been zero promotion for this game around town at all. But I suppose that's fair enough, considering it's not Twiggy's mob's job to cover the NRC. Also, considering the location of the game, anything resembling a WSR-sized crowd would have caused chaos in the area, the place is full of people, and their cars, playing other sports all on the adjacent grounds.

It comes back to my old horse that I keep flogging, that we should promote these fixtures and play at a larger capacity ground. But it's a personal bugbear, so whaddayagonna do hey?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I don't think there were 5,000 because I think the hill only really holds 3,000. And I have to admit, the queues for the food trucks make me think they should bring in more trucks. If you wanted to order anything, you'd have to take the gamble that you'd miss a quarter of the game in line waiting to order and for the order afterwards.

There's been zero promotion for this game around town at all. But I suppose that's fair enough, considering it's not Twiggy's mob's job to cover the NRC. Also, considering the location of the game, anything resembling a WSR-sized crowd would have caused chaos in the area, the place is full of people, and their cars, playing other sports all on the adjacent grounds.

It comes back to my old horse that I keep flogging, that we should promote these fixtures and play at a larger capacity ground. But it's a personal bugbear, so whaddayagonna do hey?

My opinion is if a bit of promotion could see anywhere around 5k turn up then they should be doing it and if needed move to larger capacity ground. And that should be the short term goal for every NRC team. Drawing 5k a game. Perhaps the Country's could have an exemption looking at around 3k a game but nothing less.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well I was hoping they would use this NSW Country game as a litmus test for the next two fixtures, both with the crowd and with the team's performance. I think that Sydney and Fiji are really marketable opponents and we got a great crowd for this game with no marketing at all. It's fascinating to me, that there was no mention anywhere about these games towards the end of the WSR season, yet there was a fair bit of in-ground promotion for the friendly game against the Australian Stockman Rugby Union, more so than the actual competitive NRC games. I would love to see a slow build-up to a home semi-final or hopefully grand final at NIB, with all the WSR advertising and accoutrements.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well I was hoping they would use this NSW Country game as a litmus test for the next two fixtures, both with the crowd and with the team's performance. I think that Sydney and Fiji are really marketable opponents and we got a great crowd for this game with no marketing at all. It's fascinating to me, that there was no mention anywhere about these games towards the end of the WSR season, yet there was a fair bit of in-ground promotion for the friendly game against the Australian Stockman Rugby Union, more so than the actual competitive NRC games. I would love to see a slow build-up to a home semi-final or hopefully grand final at NIB, with all the WSR advertising and accoutrements.

The Stockman's game was a WSR promotion.

The NRC is run by RugbyWA which hasn't got the budget of WSR.
There's no way that it can get the same level of promotion.

I would think most of the WSR management team are a bit pre-occupied with next season at this stage.
But it didn't stop Hodgo being at MCGillivray for most of Sunday- including being last on the pitch pulling down advertising awnings with young Hunter.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The NRC is run by RugbyWA which hasn't got the budget of WSR.
There's no way that it can get the same level of promotion.

Yep, I'm aware of that:

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
In reality the promotion of the NRC isn't up to RugbyWA it's is up to Rugby Australia as it is one of their programs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In reality the promotion of the NRC isn't up to RugbyWA it's is up to Rugby Australia as it is one of their programs.

Not really. It’s up to the respective teams to get people to their games. It’s how it works for the other teams. Not sure why the Force would be different.

RA provide some (minimal) base level promotion but the clubs would be expected to promote themselves.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
RA provide some (minimal) base level promotion but the clubs would be expected to promote themselves.
When all added up, including from the teams, what do you get?

The NRC is largely invisible.

Within that low key framework, I'd suggest the Force would still be nearer the top than the bottom promotion-wise, based on fan awareness for NRC games and match day activity.

NSW Country have done a good job in the bush in seasons past, and hopefully that continues because they're one of the better teams. It's gotta be said, however, their online presence is woeful.

The Rising will struggle in terms of promo this season IMO. It's great they're going to Adelaide and so on - but it's a no show in Melbourne.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
When all added up, including from the teams, what do you get?

The NRC is largely invisible.

Within that low key framework, I'd suggest the Force would still be nearer the top than the bottom promotion-wise, based on fan awareness for NRC games and match day activity.

NSW Country have done a good job in the bush in seasons past, and hopefully that continues because they're one of the better teams. It's gotta be said, however, their online presence is woeful.

The Rising will struggle in terms of promo this season IMO. It's great they're going to Adelaide and so on - but it's a no show in Melbourne.

I think they'll get a tidy enough turn out in Adelaide. The Rams managed to get 1200 or so in the first season of the NRC. But the NRC needs so much more promotion right across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.