• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Round 7: Melbourne Rising vs Sydney Rays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The Rising Forwards are owning the Rays forwards. Problem is some of the Rays Forwards are the fringe Tahs which says a lot

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
So far
Vui can't scrummage
McCauley adds nothing
Sandall can't scrummage and adds nothing (I know he is gone)

John Folau looks ok

If the Tahs go into a season without recruiting big forwards for next season while all other teams have them then God help them.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If the Tahs go into a season without recruiting big forwards for next season while all other teams have them then God help them.

IMO this is correct.

But to return focus to this 3rd tier for a moment, it's clear that the Rays pack, collectively, weren't up to NRC level as competitive opposition in this comp.

A number of reasons for that; many clearly known from the start of this season. A big one is that there's bugger all money in NRC. However, here's a snippet from a stalwart rugby journo two days ago:

And let’s not forget that the National Rugby Championship is on the endangered list. Every other state considers the NRC to be a valuable tool, all save NSW where they can barely scrape together enough quality players to make up the Sydney Rays. Waratahs boss Andrew Hore on Thursday said the NRC was not being sabotaged from within. I suspect he was being diplomatic.​

Despite all that, I wouldn't write off every individual forward for the Rays this year. There are guys you think look bad who are being made to look poorly in a weak side - and it ain't all their own doing. Put them in another team and they would deliver.

The Rays (and Eagles) do have quality players, but not enough.

We all know NSW has the talent to fill these teams. It's not being utilised.

Status
Not open for further replies.