• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Schoolboy rugby is just that. For schoolboys.

I like Shore's approach and would like to send my boys there if I can. Schools are for education not so your kid can make the 1st XV nor platform for a headmaster to stand on stage and gloat to parents / students how wonderful they all are. I love sport though not if it is all about winning and a reference of supremacy.

Personally, I think rugby wont rise from the ashes until rules are changed, tries are the name of the game and everyone involved at a professional level takes an interest in junior/school rugby much like soccer, AFL and NRL.

Scrums, kicking out on the full and penalty kicks (maybe all need to be drop kicks) would be the first thing to be looked at.

MR

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Courtesy of a Facebook page this morning..

Front Row Fridays.

We all know the blokes up front win games. We all know how good looking they are.
We all know the most important man in the rugby team is the tighthead prop and the second most important man in the team is the reserve tighthead prop.

There's a combination of skill, strength and street smarts that make a great front rower.

But you know what really annoys me?
Rugby mums.
Rugby mums that insists that their kid plays anywhere but in the front row. The mum that says her boy that is built like a prop plays in the backs!

You know what annoys me even more? The husband that sits by and allows the mum to dictate this travesty.

If you are one of these spineless men then you are no longer a man.

If you are one of these men you have no right to complain on social media about how the Wallabies have no front row depth.

If you are one of these men You have no right to complain about the Australian super rugby sides.

If you are one of these men and used to be a frontrower then you are excommunicated from the front row union.

Let all large / podgy / big boned / tank / chode / unit / brickshithouse kids fulfill their destiny to be the next
Blades
McKenzie
Harthill
Daly
Harry
McIntyre
Lawton
Kearns
Skeggs
Crowley

Make Australia Scrum again.
Let your kid play upfront.
For the love of Rugby, let your kid pack down.

Encourage the fat kid.
They are the kids we need. They will turn into scrumaging beasts.

#rugby #rugbyunion #naturalbodybulding #strengthandconditioning #scrum #makeaustraliascrumagain #props #hooker #tighthead #loosehead
Totally agree Azzuri. I have seen junior rugby coaches putting big kids in the backs because they fear what the parents will say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
You only need to stroll down the sidelines at Northbridge to find plenty of criticism of Dr Wright. No, he doesn't coach the teams. He does however dictate the intake policy as well as resource allocation. The school is being left behind compared to other schools on talent identification (yes that is a euphemism) as well as coaching resources. There have been numerous representations made to him about the deterioration in the rugby program with no meaningful response. The guy completely brushes the kids at school. The HSC improvement has been notable under his tenure but the school is a comprehensive one with significant history in GPS rugb which he chooses to ignore. Change is afoot.
Fair enough but gotta respect their principled approach ie no 'talent ID' or whatever euphamism you wish to use.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You only need to stroll down the sidelines at Northbridge to find plenty of criticism of Dr Wright. No, he doesn't coach the teams. He does however dictate the intake policy as well as resource allocation.

I think you'll find that the school council sets the enrolment policy.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Link below is from last Saturday's Round 1 QLD GPS clash between Nudgee College and Gregory Terrace.

If time poor cue to around 67 mins on match clock at top of video (or around 1hr15mins in video run time).

Spectacular and quite controversial finish. Well worth a watch. Check it out.

Short Ball

Allen Oxlade (6)
Link below is from last Saturday's Round 1 QLD GPS clash between Nudgee College and Gregory Terrace.

If time poor cue to around 67 mins on match clock at top of video (or around 1hr15mins in video run time).

Spectacular and quite controversial finish. Well worth a watch. Check it out.

Was that ruled an early charge?

Hoggies

Bob McCowan (2)
Totally agree Azzuri. I have seen junior rugby coaches putting big kids in the backs because they fear what the parents will say.

i coach an under 10 side, my biggest kid is a monster and can run like the wind, he does however pack down in the front row!

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Round 2 picks

I wouldn't underestimate Shore. New were well beaten in the first round by Riverview. I reckon Shore should fancy their chances! My pick New but in a close finish

Scots would want to be careful against View. I am picking Scots, by how many will be subject to who is out injured. Think Scots will win it through their forwards.

My match of the around is Joeys V Kings. Home advantage may favour the Kingsmen. But if Joeys have a good start and things click I am backing the Cerise and Blue. Toss the coin

An interesting battle to watch will be the battle of the 5/8s Creagh V Minogue. Both will be wanting to prove a point to NSW/GPS selectors.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Round 2 picks

I wouldn't underestimate Shore. New were well beaten in the first round by Riverview. I reckon Shore should fancy their chances! My pick New but in a close finish

Scots would want to be careful against View. I am picking Scots, by how many will be subject to who is out injured. Think Scots will win it through their forwards.

My match of the around is Joeys V Kings. Home advantage may favour the Kingsmen. But if Joeys have a good start and things click I am backing the Cerise and Blue. Toss the coin

An interesting battle to watch will be the battle of the 5/8s Creagh V Minogue. Both will be wanting to prove a point to NSW/GPS selectors.

Newington by 20
Scots by 10

Kings v Joeys - Kings would be favoured and Joeys in a bit of disarray sadly and have made many changes. Tough for the C&B but live in hope.

One thing I do know is that if boys are out to prove rep selectors wrong rather than just playing to the team plan it could be a recipe for disaster. I think most will be concentrating on winning the game & comp' which in my opinion is far more important than any rep stuff which at schoolboy level is pretty hit & miss. That said congrats to all that made it to the higher honours.

Wouldn't it be great if amongst the one round debacle the powers that be can get the rep stuff back to after the comps have finished - far too much is placed on the rep and it hampers an already under pressure competition.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Joeys in a bit of disarray sadly

What is the disarray? Am I missing something here? HTR what changes do you refer to?

Wouldn't it be great if amongst the one round debacle the powers that be can get the rep stuff back to after the comps have finished

Given the calendar is already very crowded and other priorities should come to the fore, this will never happen. The boys who are in year 12 playing at the highest level have arguably already "compromised" their HSC studies in the pursuit of the highest rep honours.

Not criticising that decision just stating facts. There is only so much time in the day for HSC prep and training.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
What is the disarray? Am I missing something here? HTR what changes do you refer to?

Given the calendar is already very crowded and other priorities should come to the fore, this will never happen. The boys who are in year 12 playing at the highest level have arguably already "compromised" their HSC studies in the pursuit of the highest rep honours.

Not criticising that decision just stating facts. There is only so much time in the day for HSC prep and training.

Rep used to be after the competition finished (not before) so it was close to HSC for those in years gone by and they seemed to go ok. Suspect it has something to do with athletics moving also. Again - in my opinion the rep should not overtake the school competition in any case. Rep at schoolboy level in most instances has far too much importance placed on it. Show me a schoolboy rep player and I'll show you plenty that never played rep of any note until after school and/or played Shute Shield etc. Many will disagree but for mine the school comp should take precedence - do the rep stuff when the comp is finished. I suppose for me it's a Joey's thing/belief and each to their own thoughts on this.

My mail is that Joeys has made many changes since the Scots game positional and otherwise.

Change can be a good thing so let's hope it is! I know the boys will be giving it their all. They will need to be at their very best against a rampant very talented Kings side.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
New, Scots and Kings are my picks.
Some intel on injuries from rep duties would be valuable. I think Minogue made NSW II after being picked in gps blue?? He is very good.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
HTR I would think "disarray" is a very strong term to be using.

Given Joeys have just come off a Rugby Camp, I would imagine the changes have come about based on health, form and combinations.

As to whether they are a better combination as a result of the changes, we will have a better idea after Saturday. I am sure the coaching staff are in a far better position than us to make that call.......

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Scots have several key season ending injuries that may well have a profound effect on their changes for this season ..... Billy Smith, Ben Baker and Charlie Savala all out for the season Seb Strang will also not play this season .......

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Scots have several key season ending injuries that may well have a profound effect on their changes for this season ... Billy Smith, Ben Baker and Charlie Savala all out for the season Seb Strang will also not play this season ...

A real shame for Billy Smith and Ben Baker to get serious injuries playing reps that didn't let them finish their last yr playing rugby at school ,talented boys and terrific young men.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Some news from the age group rugby in the holidays. At the Gold Coast rugby tournament:

Newington 12s were runners-up
Newington 13s were winners
Kings 15s were winners
Scots 16s were runners up

Scots had a 14s team and Shore had a 15s team, but I;m not sure how they went. Kings 15s were a particularly impressive team - size, speed and skill and won the final convincingly.

EDIT: And I should add for information that Newington have won the GPS rifle shooting for the first time since 1935. (Long time between drinks)

Status
Not open for further replies.