• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Great achievement. Can only imagine the cost of such success. Go $cots.

Whoo hoo

HB,

Don't be like that,I think I am correct in saying that most GPS schools poach talent, from where ever, except maybe Shore, if I am incorrect please someone set me straight.
As a CAS supporter my take is that Scots are trained the best.

Thus 5 years in a row, as winners.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
5 in a row, and how many in the 120 plus year history of the school?

Please someone, tell me.

It's funny you should ask. I was just about to post the following.

In the first 100 years of GPS rugby, up to and including 1992, premierships (including joint premierships):

Joeys - 47
Kings - 18
Grammar - 13
Newington - 7
Shore - 7
High - 5
Scots - 5
Riverview - 4

From 1993 up to and including 2017 (including joint premierships):

Joeys - 8
Kings - 7
Scots - 6
Riverview - 6
Newington - 4
Shore - 2

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Picked the right game to mark my first Sydney GPS experience!

Thanks to everyone who provided advice on which match to see, the best place to park and where to find the bar afterwards. It was an excellent game with atmosphere to match. Nevertheless I'm not convinced it tops the annual Nudgee v Terrace game in Brisbane (probably the equivalent), although I'm likely to be biased.

One final observation, the hordes of pissed up recent oldboys detracted from the experience to a minor extent. Maybe I'm just getting older and this sort of thing bothers me more than in the past. The students themselves represented their schools admirably.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^Behaviour of younger old boys has been a problem at various matches over the past few years at most schools I might add. It got so bad at Riverview that the previous headmaster moved Riverview home games against Joeys to 11am.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Riverviews Headmaster turned up at the 5 year reunion today and told them they would not be allowed into the game. Security were checking IDs and anyone born in 1994 was not allowed in. They also tried to kick out the Joeys 5 years.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
All in all the crowd at SJC was great (we guessed 7,000). The old boys didn't cause too much trouble beside a few View boys breaking part of the Joeys fence just after half time.

Vinnie Creagh was a standout for Joeys whilst Rourke was great for View. The game will go down as an absolute classic at Hunters Hill, with Paddy Daltons try saver going down in Joeys Fokelore.

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
Picked the right game to mark my first Sydney GPS experience!

Thanks to everyone who provided advice on which match to see, the best place to park and where to find the bar afterwards. It was an excellent game with atmosphere to match. Nevertheless I'm not convinced it tops the annual Nudgee v Terrace game in Brisbane (probably the equivalent), although I'm likely to be biased.

One final observation, the hordes of pissed up recent oldboys detracted from the experience to a minor extent. Maybe I'm just getting older and this sort of thing bothers me more than in the past. The students themselves represented their schools admirably.

As a Terrace Old Boy watching today's game, I can't help but think the Joeys v Riverview clash is on par with that of its QLD GPS cousins!

Both matches are steeped in tradition, and coincidentally both matches in 2017 were won in the last minutes.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
All in all the crowd at SJC was great (we guessed 7,000). The old boys didn't cause too much trouble beside a few View boys breaking part of the Joeys fence just after half time.

Vinnie Creagh was a standout for Joeys whilst Rourke was great for View. The game will go down as an absolute classic at Hunters Hill, with Paddy Daltons try saver going down in Joeys Fokelore.

Fence break was when they scored with 2 in the bin

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
It's funny you should ask. I was just about to post the following.

In the first 100 years of GPS rugby, up to and including 1992, premierships (including joint premierships):

Joeys - 47
Kings - 18
Grammar - 13
Newington - 7
Shore - 7
High - 5
Scots - 5
Riverview - 4

From 1993 up to and including 2017 (including joint premierships):

Joeys - 8
Kings - 7
Scots - 6
Riverview - 6
Newington - 4
Shore - 2

Silence is golden....:)

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Is it just me or does he never ground the ball?. Not a fan of either team but just noticed it, not a big deal obviously very hard for the ref to call but thought it was interesting.

On the subject of grounding the ball, at the end of the first half R'view seemed certain to score again after much forward pressure. When finally Rorke took it over, instead of diving for the line, he carried at least a metre over it, resulting in the amazing try-save by Dalton. The ref then blew for halftime, and I wondered how important would an extra 7 point buffer be?

Rugbyfannnn

Frank Row (1)
On the subject of grounding the ball, at the end of the first half R'view seemed certain to score again after much forward pressure. When finally Rorke took it over, instead of diving for the line, he carried at least a metre over it, resulting in the amazing try-save by Dalton. The ref then blew for halftime, and I wondered how important would an extra 7 point buffer be?

I didn't have the best seats so didn't really see what happened for that try will be interesting to see the video of what happened there. A 26-7 lead at the half would have been very interesting.

Not sure why Rorke wouldn't have dove if that was the case

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
I didn't have the best seats so didn't really see what happened for that try will be interesting to see the video of what happened there. A 26-7 lead at the half would have been very interesting.

Not sure why Rorke wouldn't have dove if that was the case
My view of it was badly obscured, but reviewing the footage it seems that Dalton got his hands on Rorke approximately level with the goal-line, so maybe he didn't go for a dive in case the ball got knocked out of his hands. Near-full game footage [bar one minute that I missed] will be uploaded in due course, but will take 24hrs at least.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Is it just me or does he never ground the ball? Not a fan of either team but just noticed it, not a big deal obviously very hard for the ref to call but thought it was interesting.
I've heard it all now! Why don't we all just say "Houston - we have a problem?!" It will go down as a very famous victory. That said, both teams are still behind Scots & Kings. Long way to catch up next year to reach the benchmark. Joeys have plenty of work to do. They could not be happy with how they played.

Rugbyfannnn

Frank Row (1)
I've heard it all now! Why don't we all just say "Houston - we have a problem?!" It will go down as a very famous victory. That said, both teams are still behind Scots & Kings. Long way to catch up next year to reach the benchmark. Joeys have plenty of work to do. They could not be happy with how they played.

You're so biased towards Joeys it's unbelievable... Tell me where he grounded the ball?? Where did I say in my post Joeys didn't deserve to win? I just pointed to the fact in which he never grounded the ball which he didn't if you look at it again

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
You're so biased towards Joeys it's unbelievable. Tell me where he grounded the ball?? Where did I say in my post Joeys didn't deserve to win? I just pointed to the fact in which he never grounded the ball which he didn't if you look at it again

Really????? And have a look on Hudl also. It's very clear.

Attachments

• Houston.docx
    1.6 MB · Views: 337

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
As a Kings supporter I feel a tad short changed but also feel Scots deserve the premiership. Scots won the game that counted after Kings beat Scots by the same margin. I blame the 1 round comp. Yesterday, I heard again that the gps and cas comps are joining the year after next with 2 div depending on number of open teams. Obviously this could be bs but whatever happens I hope the new comp structure eliminates the possibility of this 'short changed' feeling that the Kings players must be feeling at present. Good luck to all the gps players as they move from the hyped private school comp to colts/grade or other sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.