• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Neither of your examples show him grounding the ball but oh well doesn't matter. Joey deserved winners in a great game
Yes you will have to forgive me if we're a bit precious. As a Joeys supporter we don't win too often these days so when we do we take it whether we deserved it or not.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
My view of it was badly obscured, but reviewing the footage it seems that Dalton got his hands on Rorke approximately level with the goal-line, so maybe he didn't go for a dive in case the ball got knocked out of his hands. Near-full game footage [bar one minute that I missed] will be uploaded in due course, but will take 24hrs at least.

Dalton's tackle on Rorke was a game changer. Cant wait to watch the reply Sidesteppa.

Thank you so much for making the effort to get down there and video the game. It was a big crowd and challenging logistically I can imagine

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Dalton's tackle on Rorke was a game changer. Cant wait to watch the reply Sidesteppa.

Thank you so much for making the effort to get down there and video the game. It was a big crowd and challenging logistically I can imagine
Sadly I didn't get a view of the tackle because there was a ruck & some goalposts in the way! Did anyone else record it?
Certainly was a challenge, lost view of at least one try due to 'crowd surge'.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
And so we have come to the end of this year’s third’s competition. It was a year in which eight of the nine schools played with, on my understanding, Newington dropping out for the greater good.

Newington thirds would have been clearly competitive, and I remain of the view that they should have been there, that the boys should have had the chance, although I am grateful to the school for the sacrifice if that was the only way the thirds competition could have continued including TAS.

Based on the pre-seasons, the competition began with Joeys as clear favourites. In the end, Joeys did win, but the final result was not clear until the last game in the competition with a shared TAS/Joeys premiership still possible. Importantly, every school won at least one game, so all boys shared a taste of victory. There were no whitewashes.

I do not know what will happen next year. Clearly, aspects of the competition have to be resolved.

For the immediate present, my thanks to all the boys and their schools for an entertaining competition. The game exists for them. For next year, I hope that whatever format is agreed will give TAS a chance to regain its position as equal head of the total thirds’ premiership board. We can’t allow Joeys to stay in front!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
wow ... what a Houdini from the Joeys team.

I was standing amongst a bunch of Joeys old-boys and deep into the 2nd half ...they were resigned to defeat ... they were saying how small Joeys backs were, and how they were average

however they under-estimated their heart

that try-saving tackle from Dalton ... would love to see a pick/video of that

absolutely freakish

with hindsight that probably proved a turning point

suddenly the tide turned ... for some unclear reason (not evident from my end of the field) Riverview were down to 13 men

and thenAngus Bell (13) was injured ... shoulder?

however it wasn't before a 50 metre dash from the nuggety (and pacey) View hooker ... that the wheels started to fall off the View wagon

to me Reilly was the x factor that together with other nippy backs opened up the tiring View defence

all of which leaving me wondering what explains Reilly being dropped to 2nds for the crunch match against Kings?!

unless I am mistaken in that game Scolari, a breakaway was put on the wing!

In any event, Joeys sure had an up and down season, and must say a few head-scratching moments ... however I think if anyone is to break the $cots run in 2018... it will be Joeys

and must say, I wasn't originally against the return to a 1 round comp, principally as I don't think Shore is fair-dinkum anymore, and it did open up an opportunity for Waverley to face up to Joeys ......however I do miss seeing the heavyweights match up twice (in competition games)

all of which leaves me wanting a new 2 round comp, only not with traditional GPS and CAS groupings

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
One grizzle ... there were a lot of young riverview kids in uniform, who had converted their match Day programmes into sun hats

Struck me as both stupid and disrespectful

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
And so we have come to the end of this year’s third’s competition. It was a year in which eight of the nine schools played with, on my understanding, Newington dropping out for the greater good.

Newington thirds would have been clearly competitive, and I remain of the view that they should have been there, that the boys should have had the chance, although I am grateful to the school for the sacrifice if that was the only way the thirds competition could have continued including TAS.

Based on the pre-seasons, the competition began with Joeys as clear favourites. In the end, Joeys did win, but the final result was not clear until the last game in the competition with a shared TAS/Joeys premiership still possible. Importantly, every school won at least one game, so all boys shared a taste of victory. There were no whitewashes.

I do not know what will happen next year. Clearly, aspects of the competition have to be resolved.

For the immediate present, my thanks to all the boys and their schools for an entertaining competition. The game exists for them. For next year, I hope that whatever format is agreed will give TAS a chance to regain its position as equal head of the total thirds’ premiership board. We can’t allow Joeys to stay in front!
Thanks for the season Jim. Congrats to TAS. see you in 2018. BM

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Blockhead

Frank Row (1)

It's nice to see TAS back in the GPS comp but I'm not sure how fair it is on Newington that they had to give up their spot in the 3rds comp to accomodate TAS.

the truth is that from the 16s down to the 13s a number, from the B grade down, a number of Newington teams had to give up their games to accomodate TAS. In the last round against Kings the Newington Bs, Cs and Ds in various age groups sat the round out completely because they couldn't get games. That's not great for the boys, and a lot of boys and parents are annoyed.

If this is a GPS problem then I hope the GPS fixes it because another year like this will end up with a lot of disgruntled boys and parents.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
wow . what a Houdini from the Joeys team.

I was standing amongst a bunch of Joeys old-boys and deep into the 2nd half .they were resigned to defeat . they were saying how small Joeys backs were, and how they were average

however they under-estimated their heart

that try-saving tackle from Dalton . would love to see a pick/video of that

absolutely freakish

with hindsight that probably proved a turning point

suddenly the tide turned . for some unclear reason (not evident from my end of the field) Riverview were down to 13 men

and thenAngus Bell (13) was injured . shoulder?

however it wasn't before a 50 metre dash from the nuggety (and pacey) View hooker . that the wheels started to fall off the View wagon

to me Reilly was the x factor that together with other nippy backs opened up the tiring View defence

all of which leaving me wondering what explains Reilly being dropped to 2nds for the crunch match against Kings?!

unless I am mistaken in that game Scolari, a breakaway was put on the wing!

In any event, Joeys sure had an up and down season, and must say a few head-scratching moments . however I think if anyone is to break the $cots run in 2018. it will be Joeys

and must say, I wasn't originally against the return to a 1 round comp, principally as I don't think Shore is fair-dinkum anymore, and it did open up an opportunity for Waverley to face up to Joeys ..however I do miss seeing the heavyweights match up twice (in competition games)

all of which leaves me wanting a new 2 round comp, only not with traditional GPS and CAS groupings
SDW - wonderful insight with your posts as always. Joeys got away with this one but View will be back no doubt & soon.

It was tough to drop Reilly but he understood and accepted and came back harder so fair play to him.

Changes to backline a revelation with Reilly at fullback the key - maybe could have used it more but anyway.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's nice to see TAS back in the GPS comp but I'm not sure how fair it is on Newington that they had to give up their spot in the 3rds comp to accomodate TAS.

the truth is that from the 16s down to the 13s a number, from the B grade down, a number of Newington teams had to give up their games to accomodate TAS. In the last round against Kings the Newington Bs, Cs and Ds in various age groups sat the round out completely because they couldn't get games. That's not great for the boys, and a lot of boys and parents are annoyed.

If this is a GPS problem then I hope the GPS fixes it because another year like this will end up with a lot of disgruntled boys and parents.

It's unfortunately true that 7 Newington teams had no games on Saturday. Not a great way to finish the season. Turned a 5 game GPS season into a 4 game GPS season.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)

Quick Hands wrote: "It's unfortunately true that 7 Newington teams had no games on Saturday. Not a great way to finish the season. Turned a 5 game GPS season into a 4 game GPS season."

Blockhead, it all gets complicated. This season was the sixth since the thirds competition was started. The genesis of this competition lay in the imbalance that had emerged in the senior competition with SBH and SGS dropping out. The new competition also allowed TAS to re-enter. TAS has been competitive, with three premierships/joint premierships, the same number as Joeys.

The specific format adopted in 2017 reflected changes in the senior competition as well as reported concerns about travel etc and the issue of lower level games. The effect was Newington withdrawal from the thirds for 2017.

The problem of imbalance in lower grades is actually independent of TAS. Assume TAS is not in the competition. You would still have more schools playing in the thirds comp than the top two comps, meaning that some teams are likely to miss games. The problem is compounded by the disparity in the the number and standards of teams between the schools.

Under the format that had applied, the A teams from TAS, SGS and SBH played the A teams from those schools, the B teams from the bigger rugby school. The B teams from TAS, SGS and SBH played each other and then lower grades from the big rugby schools. This year, varying standards among the bigger rugby schools meant that some of their teams also played lower grades, compounding the scheduling problem.

Over the first five years of the thirds competition with its nine schools and its bye, TAS played one weekend in Armidale, one weekend in Sydney. The effect was that each Sydney school made the journey up the ranges every two years. The difficulty that then arose is that thirds teams for the travelling school were not available to back up the senior teams playing in Sydney. My understanding is that complaints flowing from this were one reason for the 2017 format.

From a TAS perspective, and this is an observer's not official view, with limited local options, the school had fewer teams playing GPS and got fewer games in 2017 in general.

I am totally sympathetic to the problems facing those who have to try to plan and manage all this. I have made it clear that I think Newington should be playing in the thirds. However, the problem of grades not getting games is not likely to be completely soluble given the discrepancies in numbers and and standards between the schools.

Blockhead

Frank Row (1)
The Thirds competition seems to be a headache for the GPS schools, I for one wish Newington play in the Thirds Comp Next year and not be the sacrificial lamb of the GPS . Also my Understanding is that New invited Tas to share there round in the age groups in the B,C and probably the D's these team had to play down reletive to the strength of the other schools and the outcome last weekend was the a majority of TAS teams played at Kings school and a majority of NEW teams sat at home. I hope the GPS can accomodate TAS but seriously it's not fair that NEW is losing out .

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
The Thirds competition seems to be a headache for the GPS schools, I for one wish Newington play in the Thirds Comp Next year and not be the sacrificial lamb of the GPS . Also my Understanding is that New invited Tas to share there round in the age groups in the B,C and probably the D's these team had to play down reletive to the strength of the other schools and the outcome last weekend was the a majority of TAS teams played at Kings school and a majority of NEW teams sat at home. I hope the GPS can accomodate TAS but seriously it's not fair that NEW is losing out .

Well said Blockhead, the original decision to exclude Newington from the thirds competition was the lack of depth in New's open division. However, there are signs now emerging in the age divisions, that our lower teams are becoming increasing competitive. Even, the 14s proved against the ISA and CAS schools, that they were a force to be reckon with. The results from our 13s and not just the 13As is outstanding and if the trend continues, we can justify an inclusion into this competition.

Soccer I have been told has now peaked at Newington and there is a movement back to Rugby. The school's number's are growing and this means more teams and depth.

The issue is how do we accommodate TAS and Grammar ?

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)

I'm not absolutely sure that ii is fair to say to accommodate TAS after five years. In any event, wouldn't the same result have arisen if it were Grammar or High playing? So it would have been Kings v New in the first and seconds, High or Grammar in the thirds. Kings 16As would have played New, Kings 16Bs High or Grammar 16 As, Kings 16Cs New, Kings 16Cs or perhaps Es High or Grammar and so on. Which is, I think, pretty much what happened with TAS.

My poor old brain is struggling a little with the maths, but I think that the problem has been made more acute by the shortening of the senior comp. You won't get a fight from this old possum, however, about the disappointment the New boys may have felt.

Status
Not open for further replies.