• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
What an outlandish statement! complacency? How does waiting a couple of days before opening the new thread lead you to surmise that Shore is complacent- complacent in losing?? Shore puts in as much effort as any other school. If everyone works hard not all can be rewarded.

I'd disagree, going merely off the schools news letters shore trained 3 days in the mid season holiday of 3 weeks. Whilst this may or may not be complacency it does not compare well to the other schools training schedules. Happy to be proven wrong however.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Trying to find humour in Shore's misfortune in Rugby.

Not at all.... And in fact I have a great deal of respect for the effort the Shore squad put in during the season. They had the measure of every team this year and rattled several more fancied teams including the unlucky loss against Scots. IMO it was just plain unlucky that they didn't win more than one game.

I don't share your optimism about New's chances next year as they don't seem to have the depth and while im sure their roster will have some handy players there will be no Helu, Tyrone T, Bailey Simmosen or Kunzle

HoldingOn

Alfred Walker (16)
I'd disagree, going merely off the schools news letters shore trained 3 days in the mid season holiday of 3 weeks. Whilst this may or may not be complacency it does not compare well to the other schools training schedules. Happy to be proven wrong however.
The team met three times a week for strength and conditioning during those three weeks. Middle week they were missing five or so representative players..

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Not at all.. And in fact I have a great deal of respect for the effort the Shore squad put in during the season. They had the measure of every team this year and rattled several more fancied teams including the unlucky loss against Scots. IMO it was just plain unlucky that they didn't win more than one game.

I don't share your optimism about New's chances next year as they don't seem to have the depth and while im sure their roster will have some handy players there will be no Helu, Tyrone T, Bailey Simmosen or Kunzle

Newington and Scots had their teams play matches during the holidays,against Trinity and Waverly. I can't speak for Scots, but those matches I feel put New on a winning track for the next couple of weeks. Not just in the firsts, but in all A teams. Against Joeys the benchmark of Australian Schoolboy rugby,our 13As won, our14As won and 16As had a draw. Our 1st XV lost by one point and seconds by 5. Only the 15As lost badly. We got these results with the least amount of depth of any GPS school. Such is our success in preparing our teams in the toughest Rugby Competition in Australia, the Sydney GPS.

So Newington push above their weight, Yes next year will be tough particularly in round one. But our coaching staff have shown this year that they can take a group of under rated players,supported with little depth and turn them into a highly competitive force.

As for Shore, it cannot always be bad luck all the time. Other factors must be in play, whatever they maybe. But do I wish them well in their endeavours to improve.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As for Shore, it cannot always be bad luck all the time. Other factors must be in play, whatever they maybe. But do I wish them well in their endeavours to improve.

Well, their Headmaster was in the paper today spruiking Aussie Rules at Shore.

5bc2b1221a9d07c9b72782d6c396c6a2

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/9544d43a064d38c4a53152de8422e961

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
I don't share your optimism about New's chances next year as they don't seem to have the depth and while im sure their roster will have some handy players there will be no Helu, Tyrone T, Bailey Simmosen or Kunzle[/quote]

I thought Tyrone was doing Pathways? So Yr 12 again next year?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They'll miss Kunzle and Helu, not so sure that they'll miss the other 2. They beat Riverview and Scots without either. Have a look at the video of the tries from the New v Joeys match on the 2016 thread - Joeys scored 5 tries down Tyrone's wing.

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
They'll miss Kunzle and Helu, not so sure that they'll miss the other 2. They beat Riverview and Scots without either. Have a look at the video of the tries from the New v Joeys match on the 2016 thread - Joeys scored 5 tries down Tyrone's wing.

After watching the video the thing I have noticed, and it is probably watch the Australian Schoolboys Selectors had already noticed, that everyone has caught up to Tyrone and not ony can they match him, they are better then him...

No disrespect towards him, but he not the devastating runner he once was, albeit he was two foot taller and 40 kg heavier then everyone else. No skill involved when you are a 12 to 15 year old, as big as a man and running straight over the top of normal sized kids.

With age Tyrone has lost his lateral movement and agility. Sure he can still run straight and over the top sometimes of players, but he certainly lacks these skills to match it with other outside backs in defense. I think it is time Tyrone moves into the forwards !

Like I said, no disrespect and just an observation and this will be more evident over the next year or two when the other boys his age continue to grow and fill out, especially if Tyrone puts more weight on his frame, he will be too heavy to compete.

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)

I thought Tyrone was doing Pathways? So Yr 12 again next year?[/quote]

Tyrone isn't doing pathways

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
logo-retina.png

Will the Joe Boys finally break the drought? Will Shore rugby rise to the level of their Canteen produce? Can the Jesuits and the Inner Westies iron out their 2016 inconsistencies? Will the Kings Rugby Support Group find a replacement for @Azzuri? Can the Bagpipers repeat recent successes?.....

..... Can anyone knock off Shore for the POTY? Kings Footlong sanger vs The Big Newie vs Hunters Hill's The Rowers Lot.

Fear not HJ.....Even though I will be doing my best to start brush fires and get some banter going on the Sydney Colts thread next year, I will, much to the chagrin of some, continue to keep a close eye on the schoolboy thread and inject myself into the fray when the opportunity or inspiration arises. I'm sure some other Kingsmen will also step up to maintain the rage.

I have no doubt that Shore's ongoing march towards Pie Immortality will continue unchallenged although news is starting to filter out of a Michelin star qualified "irregularity" joining the staff of a well know local business in Bellevue Hill called Lambert's Pie Emporium and Trinket Polishing Service, so stay tuned.

Will this threaten Shores entry into the Pie Hall of Fame?....in 8 months time we will find out!

Spin it out

Frank Row (1)
Such an attitude of complacency is one reason I suspect why Shore is not reaching its Rugby potential. Other Schools are already organising their 2017 training squads. Preparation for 2017 begins now in 2016.How schools prepare will vary, but strength, fitness and talent identification will be core components. Tours to the UK is another approach.

So lets find out how such preparation are going, it will be interesting to see how different schools approach 2017 preparation, including Shore.

With new coaching and extra trainings for 1st, 2nds & A teams, Shore is probably doing as much as it can to reach it's potential.

The Headmaster Dr Wright will not allow any sports scholarships, now or in the future, so Shore will continue to be at a huge disadvantage to the other GPS schools in rugby and have their hands tied behind their backs.

While coaching and fitness helps, they often can't compete with large and fast skilled rugby boys, who have been given full sports scholarships and often recruited in year 7 at the other GPS schools. This is particularly evident in under 13's to under 15's.

The current GPS competition may not be sustainable for a school like Shore. They may be better to move to an amateur schools competition with CAS & independent schools, and let Trinity and other rugby scholarship schools fight it out in the professional/amateur schools competition.

The GPS hard heads are against any further change, but let's face it Grammar & High were forced out years ago, so further change is possible.

One compromise option may be to keep the GPS comp down to 5 rounds, where all schools play each other once instead of twice, and then have an alternative for the other matches.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
With new coaching and extra trainings for 1st, 2nds & A teams, Shore is probably doing as much as it can to reach it's potential.

The Headmaster Dr Wright will not allow any sports scholarships, now or in the future, so Shore will continue to be at a huge disadvantage to the other GPS schools in rugby and have their hands tied behind their backs.

While coaching and fitness helps, they often can't compete with large and fast skilled rugby boys, who have been given full sports scholarships and often recruited in year 7 at the other GPS schools. This is particularly evident in under 13's to under 15's.

The current GPS competition may not be sustainable for a school like Shore. They may be better to move to an amateur schools competition with CAS & independent schools, and let Trinity and other rugby scholarship schools fight it out in the professional/amateur schools competition.

The GPS hard heads are against any further change, but let's face it Grammar & High were forced out years ago, so further change is possible.

One compromise option may be to keep the GPS comp down to 5 rounds, where all schools play each other once instead of twice, and then have an alternative for the other matches.

Thank You, for your honesty "Spin it out" that is my fear that we will lose another great Rugby school to the thinking of one Headmaster. I remember a time when Shore teams were second only to joeys in strength as a rule. Yes, they based their game around enormous forward Packs, but in general they were a dominant Rugby School in the GPS.

If Shore were to move down to CAS rugby, that would be a profound tragedy for the school and the GPS. Knox could be a replacement, as they are wasted in the CAS competition where at least 3 of their schools rarely go beyond "C" in the age divisions. Personally, I think Doctor Wright needs to move on. He has been there since 2002 and Shore needs new leadership and fresh blood. People in such leadership positions need to move on after 10 years. Otherwise the leadership will usually decline.

To give you an example, Shore will not accept applications for employment using email. Instead, applicants must post their CVs. Clearly, a new outlook is needed.

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)

While other schools recruit large and fast skilled rugby boys, some Shore coaches discourage kids from playing club rugby. It seems fairly obvious to me that the kids who are playing rugby 2 to 3 times as often as other kids will tend to get better over time.

Up until now, I thought that GPS competition was amateur but there appear to rumours to the contrary associated with a school that is not a usual suspect.

It is fine for Shore to persist with the no scholarship policy, but they need to make up for it with better training and encouraging their players to play club rugby together. So that they are at least getting a similar level of game time and practice as the kids on scholarships at GPS & CAS schools.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
B&W,

I agree with your comments about Shore, leaving is the last thing that the GPS needs!

Careful about your comments about the CAS comp, there are a few other schools as strong as Knox, they are not "wasted" in the CAS comp.
What may need to happen is a tier 1 and tier 2 comp, between the existing GPS and CAS schools, with a relegation system, just a thought!

Although I believe the REAL issue here is growth of the other sports and lack of junior support by the ARU, and that has been flogged to death by this forum, and still NO head way made or offered by the ARU, as we all now they would be aware of this forum and general unrest.

Spin it out

Frank Row (1)
B&W,

I agree with your comments about Shore, leaving is the last thing that the GPS needs!

Careful about your comments about the CAS comp, there are a few other schools as strong as Knox, they are not "wasted" in the CAS comp.
What may need to happen is a tier 1 and tier 2 comp, between the existing GPS and CAS schools, with a relegation system, just a thought!

Although I believe the REAL issue here is growth of the other sports and lack of junior support by the ARU, and that has been flogged to death by this forum, and still NO head way made or offered by the ARU, as we all now they would be aware of this forum and general unrest.

Thanks WLF & others for comments.

I understand that the GPS/CAS rugby and athletic seasons now have similar dates, which would enable the Tier 1 & 2 competitions you have noted. It may be a sensible way to go.

Rugby at Shore still has strong participation and enthusiasm (13's go to G, opens go down to 8th's), however 1st and A teams are struggling to compete, and have been for years.

Many A players would prefer to pay B's so they don't get beaten each week and crushed by bigger players. It is hard for these boys to enjoy their rugby experience knowing that they are likely to lose each week.

Current Shore 13A's players may be looking at the prospect of winning none or few GPS comp games over the next 5 years of their school life. Should they all just take it on the chin, or is it better to move them into a more balanced competition where they can properly enjoy the game.

If Shore A players trained 7 days a week and ate steaks for breakfast, lunch & dinner, they are still going to be at a disadvantage without the scholarship big impact players.

The scholarship offenders seem to be getting worse, and are now doing it more in year 7 and 8, than in the final years. That is not going to change and Dr Wright will probably stay at Shore until it's "Goodbye Mr Chips".

Therefore somethings gotta give.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks WLF & others for comments.

I understand that the GPS/CAS rugby and athletic seasons now have similar dates, which would enable the Tier 1 & 2 competitions you have noted. It may be a sensible way to go.

Rugby at Shore still has strong participation and enthusiasm (13's go to G, opens go down to 8th's), however 1st and A teams are struggling to compete, and have been for years.

Many A players would prefer to pay B's so they don't get beaten each week and crushed by bigger players. It is hard for these boys to enjoy their rugby experience knowing that they are likely to lose each week.

Current Shore 13A's players may be looking at the prospect of winning none or few GPS comp games over the next 5 years of their school life. Should they all just take it on the chin, or is it better to move them into a more balanced competition where they can properly enjoy the game.

If Shore A players trained 7 days a week and ate steaks for breakfast, lunch & dinner, they are still going to be at a disadvantage without the scholarship big impact players.

The scholarship offenders seem to be getting worse, and are now doing it more in year 7 and 8, than in the final years. That is not going to change and Dr Wright will probably stay at Shore until it's "Goodbye Mr Chips".

Therefore somethings gotta give.

Hello Spin it out, I noticed in your 13As you have mentioned on the Saturday they played Newington, had a good win over New 13As(W28-12), a side which had beaten Scots 40-0 the previous week and Joeys about 28-7 the next week. So Shore have talent I believe lots of talent with their depth.

<scholarship talk removed by mods>

Spin it out

Frank Row (1)
Hello Spin it out, I noticed in your 13As you have mentioned on the Saturday they played Newington, had a good win over New 13As(W28-12), a side which had beaten Scots 40-0 the previous week and Joeys about 28-7 the next week. So Shore have talent I believe lots of talent with their depth.
<scholarship talk removed by mods>

Sorry didn't realise the 13A's managed to finally have a win - must have been the only victory this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.