• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Surely we would need to take into consideration the expert opinions of the voting audience and go with the top three being:

Joeys 20 votes, Shore 20 votes & Scots 11 votes

Otherwise we would be suggesting the voting audience doesn't know what they are talking about :)

Great work Dutchy. Hard to refute such robust, scientific analysis.

Is there any truth in the rumour that you also acted as the Democrats Opinion Poll Adviser in the 2016 US Presidential election

Dutchy

Frank Nicholson (4)
1b5b67c7e69a908227596f14ab09bb3a.jpg

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
I'll give it a go Jim.

In 2017, the GPS 1st and 2nd XV competition will comprise 1 x round of 5 matches. Prior to this the GPS schools will play 1st and 2nd XV trials against CAS schools. In the 3rd XV, Newington won't field a team and TAS will take their spot in the draw, so the 3rds will be a 1 round competiton of 7 rounds (only 8 teams). Additionally, TAS will play all matches in Sydney when playing schools with teams in the 1st and 2nd XV competition - not sure whether High and Grammar will continue to play home and away in alternate years or not.

In addition to the 1sts and 2nds only playing 5 GPS games, the first game is played on the 2nd last Saturday in Term 2, then there is a 5 week break until the second game on the first Saturday back in Term 3. You'd at least have thought that they could play the games on 5 consecutive Saturdays in Term 3.

I'm not sure how this all filters through the age groups - for example there are age groups where Newington have more or equal teams than Kings. Where TAS will fit when Kings play New is going to be interesting. The logical follow on from this is that Kings will soon have less open teams than Newington when numbers flow through - which will make even more of a mess of the 3rds competition.

My understanding is that Joeys pushed hardest for this and no doubt had support of others.

It has only been agreed to for one year.

I'm not against change, in fact the change which resulted in the inclusion of TAS, Grammar and High in the 3rds and a 6 team, two round 1sts and 2nds competition seemed to be a good change.

I honestly can't see how this improves anything - unless you are the person who organises the buses at Joeys, who will now have less destinations about which to worry.;)

I didn't know how to respond to this, QH. My first reaction was bugger Joeys. My second reaction was to feel sad for the Newington Thirds boys who no longer have a comp. My third reaction was to think of the growing scheduling mess in the lower grades.

I simply do not know enough about the internal dynamics within the GPS schools. It's so long since I have been involved at school level, However, I can comment broadly on the dynamics as I see them.

The thirds comp has been a considerable success. It's been the only comp involving all the schools and has brought people like me back to GPS rugby.

I think that we have to accept that the top level GPS comp is probably dead or at least close to death. My proposal is this. We take the GPS firsts and seconds out of the GP comp and let them play in a bigger Sydney comp that so many clearly want. The thirds then become the GPS comp involving all schools. Schools such as Joeys then have a choice. They can preserve their lower grade teams for the new top non-GPS comp or they can participate. But if they participate, then they have to accept going to Armidale once every two years.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I know 7s is very different to 15s, but from what I saw in the live streams of the NSW blue (#1) team at last weekends Nationals 7s tournament, I think that GPS 1sts and possibly even NSW could build a very strong back line around Reilly, Easy, Styles and Smith. Sorry I didn't watch much of NSW white (#2) in the tournament, but you could probably add the Riverview and Kings lads from that side into the list of GPS 1sts back line probables too.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Will be really interesting to see where Joeys play Reilly next year. Will depend in part on who else they have to pick for other back line spots. I reckon it could be 12, 13 or 15. There will be other speedsters they'll pick for 11 and 14.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Will be really interesting to see where Joeys play Reilly next year. Will depend in part on who else they have to pick for other back line spots. I reckon it could be 12, 13 or 15. There will be other speedsters they'll pick for 11 and 14.

I would play him at 10.... Seriously there is more to gain from him at 10. He has the ability to make space for not just his backs, but his mobile forwards. You want a lad like him with the ball in his hand. I would attempt to limit his defence workload and allow him to work his magic as a ball player. To be honest you could play anywhere in the backline and he would adapt.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Reilly looked really dangerous when he was playing 15 for CHS at the under 16 carnival last year. I think he can really push for higher representative honours there, because I don't think his defence is quite up to the standard of the other top centres in his age group.

I don't agree, Reilly was the form centre of the GPS comp in the 2nd round. Watch the highlights of Joeys last game against Newington and they won that on the back of Reilly's attack and defence. I believe he had a hand in every try and ran a riot over Tyrone.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
15 for sure. 10. I reckon he could play there, but haven't Joeys got a guy coming through from their 16as who is expected to make 10. Either way, Reilly did appear from the 7s footage to have bulked up quite a bit since the GPS Season with little to no apparent impact on his pace.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
The lad can kick in general play and goal kick. When Joeys played ACT in their trial he scored two tries out wide and he retained possession of the ball. He converted both his own tries from the sideline, apparently, the coaching staff were not happy with him not handing the ball over to the incumbent kicker, so we never saw the lads kicking ability all year. I expect that to change in 2017.

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
The lad can kick in general play and goal kick. When Joeys played ACT in their trial he scored two tries out wide and he retained possession of the ball. He converted both his own tries from the sideline, apparently, the coaching staff were not happy with him not handing the ball over to the incumbent kicker, so we never saw the lads kicking ability all year. I expect that to change in 2017.

I think at this stage of the season, Joeys hadn't settled on their backline, let alone their kicker. Blaise Barnes was "sidelined" for the season during the trial against Marist, and this opened the door for Lachie Day to secure a starting spot on the wing. Followers of this forum would be more than familiar with Lachie's goal kicking ability i.e highlighted by kicks in Round 2 matches against Riverview and Newington!

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
So which Joeys backs will be pressing for GPS rep teams or higher in 2017. Every year there is usually 2 or 3.

This time last year it would have been broadly acknowledged that Wilkinson, Jaffer-Williams and Barnes (before he was injured) would stake very strong rep team claims. But i knew very little of McTaggart and, to a lesser extent, Day.

No doubt Reilly will be seriously in the mix in 2017, potentially for Aus Schools. But who else?

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
I saw Papantoniou play last year and rate him highly.

Not sure If Kings are real contenders just yet. I probably don't have them in the top 3.

But luckily we will have lots of trials to assess form and re-evaluate before season proper.

Papa only had 2 standout games in 2nds and the one against Shore on a sloppy day at Northbridge and I thought was the light bulb moment for him but after returning from the break, he didn't recapture that form. Having said that with a year of seconds and few glimpses of 1sts, if he understands how intimidating he can be, then who knows.

Poolman, (2017 School Captain) agree will be a standout in next years comp. Was pretty good all year and after a 4 try performance against Joeys (I think) at Kings where he was close to unstoppable, I think he was on the 1st coaches radar particular with injury hitting both the 1sts #13s in Millar and Anese but his next game was a bit ordinary and the opportunity passed. Comparison between Williams and N. Brown this year not so sure. Brown by far the more consistent and led all the time. If anything guilty of trying too hard. The team will look to Williams to lead and has the size and ability. I tip Loh to be a strong performer and Mackenzie Wood may snare a forwards back row spot and always has a go. Matt Minogue one of the better players across GPS in the current Y11 age group and he should find his feet easily if selected.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Agree Rich.

12 is his natural position as he has the attributes of a 10 and 13. Trouble is that 12 Quinn is a good crash-ball player who should be in the Ones in 2017 but will be limited to that spot, in my opinion.

13 is too far away to show off Reilly's best attributes and likewise playing deeper at fullback does not match his skill-set well.

As they showed last year with Nick Wilkinson: Joeys have form in giving the 10 jersey to an inside centre, and he turned out OK, didn't he? Therefore, I suppose that Reilly will be the flyhalf.

Like Wilkinson he will set up more play with the run than the pass, and won't be the game-manager type.

One good thing about the shortened competition for coaches will be that they will have lots of time to work out who plays where.

But I wouldn't be surprised if my pre-season opinion is proved to be bunk: it wouldn't be the first time.

Ioverugby24/7

Frank Nicholson (4)
I know 7s is very different to 15s, but from what I saw in the live streams of the NSW blue (#1) team at last weekends Nationals 7s tournament, I think that GPS 1sts and possibly even NSW could build a very strong back line around Reilly, Easy, Styles and Smith. Sorry I didn't watch much of NSW white (#2) in the tournament, but you could probably add the Riverview and Kings lads from that side into the list of GPS 1sts back line probables too.

Given how dominant NSW 7s were at Nationals, you would think that all of these players would be in strong contention for NSW schools team selection and higher honours. They also now have the added benefit of having trained for 3 months and played together as a team in many high level competitive games. They are a reasonable blend of school associations. IMHO I would be starting with this group of boys on my list.

NSW U17 Youth Boys
Nath Lawson (VC)
Tom Woodcock (C)
Alan Tuigamala
Jake Styles
Will Harrison (VC)
Triston Reilly
Yool Yool
Billy Smith
Matt Stead
Hunter Ward
Dom Easy
Keiren Mundine

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
Whist all fine players. Not everyone tried out for the sevens team. Bit of a stretch to automatically assume those that did are better players. Not to mention sevens a totally different game.

A good win at nationals is always good. Quite a few players dropped out of squad from what I've heard.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Given how dominant NSW 7s were at Nationals, you would think that all of these players would be in strong contention for NSW schools team selection and higher honours.

NSW 1 played NSW 2 in the final of the 15 a side version of this tournament and yet Qld (who came 6th and 8th IIRC) had more players selected.

Never assume anything once selection panels get together.;)

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
A good win at nationals is always good. Quite a few players dropped out of squad from what I've heard.

What are you inferring that the 'few players'' that 'dropped out' were better players than those that were selected and dominated the championship? Because if that what you are asserting well name the players that would have made the team above those that were selected.

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
What are you inferring that the 'few players'' that 'dropped out' were better players than those that were selected and dominated the championship? Because if that what you are asserting well name the players that would have made the team above those that were selected.

No inferring at all. Sorry if mis construed
Point was it was a show up and trial not a selection from school comp. plenty chose not to trial and or pulled out.

Plenty of talent that fall into that category

Status
Not open for further replies.