• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtrain89

Frank Row (1)
Grammar is heading to Italy, then France before competing in the East Asia 7s conference. Should give the lads a good hit out before the season proper. In my view this lot have the potential to put the frights up a few of the more prominent sides. Look out for the likes of Harper, Smith and Rowan-Gillespie to have a huge impact. You might not know 'em now but trust me - these guys are the real deal

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Grammar is heading to Italy, then France before competing in the East Asia 7s conference. Should give the lads a good hit out before the season proper. In my view this lot have the potential to put the frights up a few of the more prominent sides. Look out for the likes of Harper, Smith and Rowan-Gillespie to have a huge impact. You might not know 'em now but trust me - these guys are the real deal

Great to see Grammar's Rugby making a comeback. This is long overdue. Further, Rugby is the game of the Universities. Hence, because of Grammar's unparalleled academic achievement, within the Independent School System.One will hope, Academia and Rugby can have a closer relationship at Grammar.

With a new Headmaster a window of opportunity now exists for such a revival. We should not expect Grammar to become another Joeys. But instead I believe Grammar should follow the path of Newingtion and Kings and seek to field about five to four teams in the Age groups between the 13s and 16s. Ideally, six in the opens. About 25 teams.

In my experience Rugby numbers and the quality of teams relies heavily upon a school's leadership and the willingness of staff to coach Rugby, in order for it to succeed as a major sport. Get these two points right,more often than not Rugby can thrive at a school.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Its not cheap... the Kings tour of England and Italy was just shy of 9 gorillas by the time you add spending money and worth every cent!

Would have been an experience they will remember for the rest of their lives. I toured NZ when I was at Scots many thousands of moons ago. Was such a great experience for so many reasons. But going to England and Italy would have been on another level altogether. No offence my kiwi friends.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Its not cheap... the Kings tour of England and Italy was just shy of 9 gorillas by the time you add spending money and worth every cent!
I am surprised somewhat that Shore would have a trip to the UK. I thought the policy was NZ only and only occasionally.

I wouldn't pay it.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Would have been an experience they will remember for the rest of their lives. I toured NZ when I was at Scots many thousands of moons ago. Was such a great experience for so many reasons. But going to England and Italy would have been on another level altogether. No offence my kiwi friends.

Correct Rich.....it's such a great experience for young men to play the game they love internationally, experience different cultures and bond strongly as a team.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
tell you what I reckon $cots are going to be hard to beat in 2017

certainly they have some serious firepower in the backs ... with Smith and Yassmin

then again Scots won it in 2016, and on paper I would have tipped Newington ... again based on star backs

How are Newington looking in 2017... as certainly they have lost some big stars?

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
tell you what I reckon $cots are going to be hard to beat in 2017

certainly they have some serious firepower in the backs . with Smith and Yassmin

then again Scots won it in 2016, and on paper I would have tipped Newington . again based on star backs

How are Newington looking in 2017. as certainly they have lost some big stars?

I think Newington will be very strong in 2017. Yes, several stars in their 2016 Team have graduated, but as you say, a team full of stars doesn't guarantee a premiership.

The majority of the team they will put out this year played in 2016 for either their 1sts (eg Icanovski, Duvall, Haldane, Kearns and Janson) or Presidents XV (eg Bell, Titmus, Afeaki and Lewis). Some of these lads also played both.

It will be a young team and, while most of these lads wouldn't be considered stars at this stage, many of them will be by seasons end.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

Are you the bloke who started the snowball fight on a bitterly cold Queenstown day?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It will be a young team and, while most of these lads wouldn't be considered stars at this stage, many of them will be by seasons end.

It's only a 5 week season, so a steep learning curve.;)

Anyhow, I understand that they will have 8 open teams this year. Makes the decision re the 3rd XV even more odd.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)

True. But there are plenty of games before the comp starts. We will have a very good idea of how they are tracking after they play Oakhill, View, Knox, Waverley, Shore and Kings (plus potentially others) in the pre-season.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

Anyhow, I understand that they will have 8 open teams this year. Makes the decision re the 3rd XV even more odd.

Newington fielding 8 Teams in the open age group. Great to see. Clearly some coaches and the Rugby Master are earning their pay cheques. In 2015 the then 16s fielded only 2 teams. Last year 16s fielded 4 teams. Maybe also, soccer is finally losing its appeal at Newington and Rugby regaining its popularity.

Certainly, the young guns of the 1st XV will have talent, but experience is another matter. As Quick Hands states it will be a steep learning curve Hence, the Pre season matches will have greater importance in terms of match preparation. If the team can develop cohesion, gain experience and enhance their skills they could well become the dark horse of the competition.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Certainly, the young guns of the 1st XV will have talent, but experience is another matter. As Quick Hands states it will be a steep learning curve Hence, the Pre season matches will have greater importance in terms of match preparation. If the team can develop cohesion, gain experience and enhance their skills they could well become the dark horse of the competition.

New would have to be considered more than dark horses already, surely.

They do have quite a few 'young guns' with limited or no 1st XV experience. But so do most of the other teams and they will all face the same challenges.

Also off the top of my head, I can't think of any school that has any massive advantage in the number of players returning with 1st XV experience. From a quick glance at the predicted 2017 teams earlier in this thread, it would appear most teams, including New, have around 5 back this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.