• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One version I heard was that certain schools wished to have lesser GPS Games and more games against CAS and ISA opponents. In order to improve their Win /Loss Ration over the Rugby season. But also their is a belief that a shorter GPS season as suggested above, increases the likelihood of shared premierships. They would not admit it openly, but a few people at numerous other schools have read between the lines of their agenda. How they got it through, must be a view must shared by others in GPS System. Self-Interest I suspect is at play.
I think that they had come to he view that obsession with rugby was wagging the AAGPS dog.
You couldn't blame them if they did.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I think that they had come to he view that obsession with rugby was wagging the AAGPS dog.
You couldn't blame them if they did.

Yes, there is definitely an obsessive element in Sydney and Brisbane GPS/CAS/ AIC Rugby. Indeed, it has led to some fanatical behaviour by supporters, particularly Old Boys. Most notably in recent years between our two great schools Catholic Schools( Or how an old Joeys mate of mine, referred to the matches as Catholics versus Jesuits).

But overall compared to New Zealand,Welsh and South African Rugby Fans, the GPS obsession could be called low key. In some South African schools, particularly the Africana schools, boys who do not play rugby, are seated separately from the Rugger boys.

But inside Shoulder, I feel we have come along way from the days where GPS boys, had two choices for their winter sport, Rugby or Nothing. Or when Joeys Boys at dinner time on Saturday evenings, would line up in the order of their team's success, that day to get their dinner's.

Hence, the belief that if you beat a Joeys team, they would miss out on their Ice Cream. How true it is,well maybe some Joeys Old Boys could confirm it or deny it as one of those stories that have become a myth within GPS Rugby. Like the 1981 Joeys V Scots Game where the time clock was stopped, in order for the Joeys 5/8 Peter Tonkin to kick a winning field goal.

Apart from being obessive at times,if one characteristic marks the GPS in my experience, are the long memories and the accompanying stories.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
^^^^

I heard Tonkin took 10 field goal shots from the same spot the following day and missed all of them.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^^

I heard Tonkin took 10 field goal shots from the same spot the following day and missed all of them.
And Scots supporters claim and probably rightfully so, that they were the only team that came close to beating the 1981 Joeys Centenary Team. However, Waves had a brilliant team that year also. Who I believe were also undefeated. There was no match between either of these two champion teams that year. I suspect both teams were keen to protect heir unbeaten record.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
And Scots supporters claim and probably rightfully so, that they were the only team that came close to beating the 1981 Joeys Centenary Team. However, Waves had a brilliant team that year also. Who I believe were also undefeated. There was no match between either of these two champion teams that year. I suspect both teams were keen to protect heir unbeaten record.

I was at that game and don't recall Scots supporters making any claim along those lines.

I do remember feeling really disappointed that we didn't win that game.

But regardless of the result, that game was one of the best I have ever seen, in terms of suspense and sporting theatre.

I remember Waves also had a great side that year too, with the Burke brothers and Tim Kava etc.

Joeys v waves would have been one hell of a game too.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
.....I feel we have come a long way from the days where GPS boys had two choices for their winter sport, rugby or nothing. Or when Joeys boys at dinner time on Saturday evenings would line up in the order of their team's success that day to get their dinners.

Perhaps apocryphal? Or an urban myth?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
So NSW GPS's pundits ......I am interested in your views as to who you rank in the Top 3 of each age group from :

• First XV
  • 2nd XV
  • 16A
  • 15A
  • 14A
  • 13A
What say you all ?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
  • Ok GO, I will kick it off

who you rank in the Top 3 of each age group from :
  • First XV
  • 2nd XV
  • 16A
  • 15A
  • 14A
  • 13A
In no particular order!

• First XV: Scots, Joeys, Newington (but could pick 5 contenders!)
  • 2nd XV: Joeys, Kings, Riverview
  • 16A: Newington, Joeys, Kings
  • 15A: Joeys, Newington, Scots
  • 14A: Joeys, Newington, Kings
  • 13A: Kings, Joeys, Shore

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I was at that game and don't recall Scots supporters making any claim along those lines.

I do remember feeling really disappointed that we didn't win that game.

But regardless of the result, that game was one of the best I have ever seen, in terms of suspense and sporting theatre.

I remember Waves also had a great side that year too, with the Burke brothers and Tim Kava etc.

Joeys v waves would have been one hell of a game too.

Compared to the results other schools, that year against Joeys, Scots if I have remember correctly had the best result of any of us. Now, remembering we are talking about events that some 36 years ago, so my memory might be a bit blurred.

Joeys V Kings won 36-9
Joeys V Grammar Won 47-3
Joeys V High Won I think about 14-9
Joeys V Shore Won 17-3
Joeys V Ingies, cannot recall but won by Joeys
Joeys V Scots Won 9-8
Joeys V Newington Won 27-10

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
  • Ok GO, I will kick it off

In no particular order!

• First XV: Scots, Joeys, Newington (but could pick 5 contenders!)
  • 2nd XV: Joeys, Kings, Riverview
  • 16A: Newington, Joeys, Kings
  • 15A: Joeys, Newington, Scots
  • 14A: Joeys, Newington, Kings
  • 13A: Kings, Joeys, Shore
Armchair Selector, as a new supporter I am surprised you rate our 16As so highly. They certainly achieved some great results, but were also well beaten by View 19-34 in Round one and 54-0 by Joeys in round two. Do they have enhanced firepower courtesy of our Tongan Connections who usually arrive in year 10. Or do we need to take our discussion to that site, whose name shall not be mentioned.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Armchair Selector, as a new supporter I am surprised you rate our 16As so highly. They certainly achieved some great results, but were also well beaten by View 19-34 in Round one and 54-0 by Joeys in round two. Do they have enhanced firepower courtesy of our Tongan Connections who usually arrive in year 10. Or do we need to take our discussion to that site, whose name shall not be mentioned.

Riverview tend to blood their younger talent into Opens in U16s so in my opinion they weaken off in the U16s comp. Newington seem to have an influx of talented players in yr 10.....

As to whether that belongs on another thread or not? as my cricket coach advised "let the ball go outside the off stump". :rolleyes:

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Do they have enhanced firepower courtesy of our Tongan Connections who usually arrive in year 10. Or do we need to take our discussion to that site, whose name shall not be mentioned.
Not too sure about the Tongan connection, but the keen eyed may notice more than a passing resemblance to a good number of last year's very talented NSWRU U15s. Fortuitous to be sure.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Unless I am mistaken kings were very strong in last years 13Asand 14As

So they would be in contention with perennial favourites... joeys?

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Not too sure about the Tongan connection, but the keen eyed may notice more than a passing resemblance to a good number of last year's very talented NSWRU U15s. Fortuitous to be sure.

Thanks CatchPass, Hopefully, I and other New Supporters such as yourself will be to watch this side in action in the coming weeks and months. I also read on this site ( courtesy of Quick Hands) that the Opens Age Group maybe fielding 8 teams. Great to see Newington Rugby moving forward.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Unless I am mistaken kings were very strong in last years 13Asand 14As

So they would be in contention with perennial favourites. joeys?

SDW, I believe in last year's 13a's, ie this year's 14a's , Kings were extremely strong ( 3 major scholarships but that's the schools call, not rugby scholarships but they are all hand picked superstar rugby players from the nsw rep comp).
Anyway that's not the kids or parents doing.

I also believe Joeys, as usual, were fantastic in this 13a group, unbeaten until New beat them in the last round, but the Kings 13a fullback a brilliant player was absent so I am told v joeys.

Now we will see if the Waverley 13a side is the real deal, I think it is, some super naturally talented boys in the team. They will now play the best, and the coach od the Waverley 13a side has been carefully selected, he coached the St. Auggies 2nds last year.

I can also tell you that the 13's this year, and the 12's(junior school) will also be strong unbeaten last year, so 3 years in a row strong which is unusual.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)

Waverley apparently challenged Joeys and were turned down. In any case, 11 players from each team made the respective GPS and CAS 1stXV's so that game became a de facto play-off. I believe CAS won. This was in the days when the game was played on a Saturday at Chatswood Oval after the completion of the season.

In another sign of how things have changed, only one Joeys boy made Aussie Schools that year (three Waverley boys were selected) and four AAGPS boys in total

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I've just noticed that right this very second, the last post on this GPS forum is about Waverley and the last post on the CAS thread is about Scots.

A sign that the comps may not be the only thing that is slowly morphing?

RuckOver12

Frank Row (1)
Only 28 boys so far committing to grammar rugby in the opens from what I have heard, so it looks at this stage grammar will only be putting 1 team forward in the opens. So a very difficult year for grammar rugby seems to be the vibe i'm getting, with an appalling year 12 rugby cohort, which has culminated in only 9 year 12s committing to rugby this year at Grammar. The loss of the FullBack of the 1st XV last year, leaving for Riverview at the end of term 3, and another one of their better year 12 players will miss his 2nd year in a row due to illness, has really made it hard for grammar rugby this year.

Look out for the number 7 Chadwick and the 13 Alexander to be the dominant performers of this side. The younger sheldon also returns from an ACL, has been back to cricket so should take his place at 10 which is promising.

Only a handful of players having any 1st XV experience whatsoever, unless the younger years can really step up, which is doubtful from all accounts, it could be a very long season for grammar rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.