• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
If you ask me, it's a bit over the top considering there is only 5 competitive GPS games this year

Love it or hate it, it is what it is!

As to whether it is "OTT" RugbyDimin8r101, I think you need to change your mindset. We have a 12 round "competition" of which the first 7 rounds incorporate GPS and CAS, then the final 5 rounds are intra association to crown their respective association champions.

I have no doubt that within both CAS and GPS forums, an all round champion will be declared. As to whether it is official or not, who knows (should we really care??)

What I will call the first 7 rounds will be important to the boys for various reasons; some will be chasing higher honours, some for bragging rights in the decades ahead but all will strive to represent their school well and do their best.

Across all schools the boys are training hard and praying for dry weather for the coming competition.

I cant wait and neither can the boys.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
In saying that, dont you think Newington should maybe re consider their training schedules to accommodate the students welfare? Morning and also afternoon sessions for students travelling from far distances would inevitably cause disinterest in study. If you ask me, it's a bit over the top considering there is only 5 competitive GPS games this year, lol.

Easier to say, harder to do.Grounds,Coaches time and Boys availability across other school commitments. It can be a minefield of administrate issues.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
The latter if last year's HSC results are any guide.

You failed to acknowledge that a significant part of Newington's Year 12 Cohort, particularly the more talent students study the IB. I don't have the figures, but it has profound impact on the HSC candidature.

I believe a more objective approach, would be to acknowledge the diversity of educational opportunities the school offers through the IB.

A Parent who has enrolled her two boys at Newington, was telling me that school is now booked out to 2026. So many parents, clearly believe that the school has a lot to offer.

Vicks_Inhaler

Frank Row (1)
You failed to acknowledge that a significant part of Newington's Year 12 Cohort, particularly the more talent students study the IB. I don't have the figures, but it has profound impact on the HSC candidature.

I believe a more objective approach, would be to acknowledge the diversity of educational opportunities the school offers through the IB.

A Parent who has enrolled her two boys at Newington, was telling me that school is now booked out to 2026. So many parents, clearly believe that the school has a lot to offer.

I believe that the average atar for the 2016 IB (international baccalaureate) cohort at newington was 95.90, with 3 boys achieving 99.95 - clearly a fair chuck of the higher candidature. So its safe to say that should these boys had done the HSC instead, newington's 'ranking' would be much stronger, keeping in mind that the IB isn't reflected in the SMH's annual HSC rankings.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)

As to whether it is "OTT" RugbyDimin8r101, I think you need to change your mindset. We have a 12 round "competition" of which the first 7 rounds incorporate GPS and CAS, then the final 5 rounds are intra association to crown their respective association champions.

I have no doubt that within both CAS and GPS forums, an all round champion will be declared. As to whether it is official or not, who knows (should we really care??)

What I will call the first 7 rounds will be important to the boys for various reasons; some will be chasing higher honours, some for bragging rights in the decades ahead but all will strive to represent their school well and do their best.

Across all schools the boys are training hard and praying for dry weather for the coming competition.

Armchair, your comments sum it all up perfectly, all games count regardless of a trophy at the end.
Can't wait like all of us.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

But everyone doesn't play everyone else in this first round, so how can anyone rate it as deciding some sort of championship official or otherwise?

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
Newington's depth hasn't been too bad in the last few years when it comes to opens. They have gone down to the 6th XV in the past two years. I feel in some way they should reintroduce the rule that only a certain amount of soccer teams should be allowed to try and bring back more interest and depth to the Newington rugby programme.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Can someone explain to me why Newington isn't competing in the 3rd comp this year I am still a bit uncertain?

No one really knows. It's alleged to be a way of evening up the fixtures list so that New plus TAS will field the same number of teams as the large schools. Not really sure if this is actually going to achieve anything. I suspect that as New have two more open teams than they did last year that they are regretting going along with it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Newington's depth hasn't been too bad in the last few years when it comes to opens. They have gone down to the 6th XV in the past two years. I feel in some way they should reintroduce the rule that only a certain amount of soccer teams should be allowed to try and bring back more interest and depth to the Newington rugby programme.

I think that numbers wise, they'll have more teams 13s to opens than they have had for some time.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hello Quick Hands
I am wondering how many teams New might be fielding this year. I believe you mentioned 8 in the opens and of course on a more personal note the 13s. Also Newington are having their internal trials tomorrow, so I wish young Quick Hands all the best of luck if he is trailing tomorrow.

CB Set

Peter Burge (5)
Is it possible for anyone to throw some names into the mix or possibly create a lineup for this years GPS teams?

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
Hello Quick Hands
I am wondering how many teams New might be fielding this year. I believe you mentioned 8 in the opens and of course on a more personal note the 13s. Also Newington are having their internal trials tomorrow, so I wish young Quick Hands all the best of luck if he is trailing tomorrow.

I can confirm there will be 7 teams in opens at Newington this year. For now at least, with injuries it could become 6

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

I agree entirely, soccer is a great game, but Rugby is the Game of the Universities, the Defence Forces and has a strong presence within the Business Community. John O'Neil described Rugby as a top of the town game. We should be proud of this status.Having said that we should also be focused on expanding the game beyond its traditional base.

Soccer in comparison lacks the culture environment that Rugby can offer. Despite having more soccer teams, it is the 1st XV that pulls in the numbers on Saturday afternoons at Newington. The 1st Xl soccer atmosphere is far more low key.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hello Quick Hands

My understanding now is; 7 in opens (they thought at one point 8 but settled on 7), 6 in 13s and 4 in each of the other age groups.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I agree entirely, soccer is a great game, but Rugby is the Game of the Universities, the Defence Forces and has a strong presence within the Business Community. John O'Neil described Rugby as a top of the town game. We should be proud of this status.Having said that we should also be focused on expanding the game beyond its traditional base.

Soccer in comparison lacks the culture environment that Rugby can offer. Despite having more soccer teams, it is the 1st XV that pulls in the numbers on Saturday afternoons at Newington. The 1st Xl soccer atmosphere is far more low key.

Add to which, at all schools, the playing standard of school soccer is well below that of club level. The opposite is mostly true of rugby.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
My thanks to Footy4life & Quick Hands for your information on Newington Rugby. With the increasing emphasis on excellent coaching, particularly in the 1&2s, together with the A teams and the growing depth of the open division. I believe Newington can well punch above its weight against the bigger Rugby schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.