• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I hear that it was a great day down at Weigall for the Grammar 10s. Hope that the school can use it as a building block.

Any results?

RugbyHd

Chris McKivat (8)
If someone would be kind enough to put out a predicted View XV it would be much appreciated. Haven't seen one yet.

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
Are you counting TAS teams in that??

If not then the TAS situation is absurd, They should be combing with grammar to make numbers

I definitely agree, I am very confused as to why TAS is combining with Newington. I don't see Newington as a weak rugby school and the depth at the school isn't even as bad as it is made out to be.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I definitely agree, I am very confused as to why TAS is combining with Newington. I don't see Newington as a weak rugby school and the depth at the school isn't even as bad as it is made out to be.

In fact, the depth at Newington based on last year numbers is approaching close to that of Kings and Shore. Such numbers maybe be only one team more per age group. Kings, I would expect to have less teams in opens this year ( (9 last year) due to greater soccer numbers. So if Shore and Kings are fielding 8 teams with Newington having 7. I believe TAS being incorporated in between Newington's 7 teams is hardly necessary.

An possible alternative solution is get St.Gregory's College, brother school to Joey's, to field their quality A teams against the GPS Schools. Grammar, TAS and High would fill out the spaces in the lower grades.

Its high time St.Gregs be incorporated into the GPS system, at 1200 boys a Boarding House of about 300 and heaps of space and ovals. They would soon become a Rugby School of both Quality and Quantity. Further, it would be a marvellous opportunity to expand the game into Western Sydney.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^^no one gets this: it is not the job of the AAGPS to expand the game anywhere, let alone west.
That's the job of their old boys who run the ARU like we're in Cold War Berlin and there's a wall separating east and west.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
IS, are you sure the GPS old boys in the ARU know this?
It seems like they have delegated the authority to 2 or 3 of these Schools........

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
St Gregs is a cracking school ... I know some great kids , particularly country boys that have been there

my understanding is the boarders tend to be more the rugby union players, and the day students more into their league

any word on how the View v Auggies game went? It might give an indicator as to how good a game Waverley v View might be.

Although hoping view aren't sending their best to $cots sevens, otherwise it might be another mismatch

also curious to know if any surprises out of the Joeys trials ... any smokies?

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^^no one gets this: it is not the job of the AAGPS to expand the game anywhere, let alone west.
That's the job of their old boys who run the ARU like we're in Cold War Berlin and there's a wall separating east and west.

Sounds like your as frustrated, as I am with the leadership (Or lack of leadership) by the ARU. Your also right that the ARU simply lacks the strategic vision to develop the game beyond the North Shore and the Eastern Suburbs. Yes, there are some efforts, but considering the playing potential of WESTERN SYDNEY its pretty much a token effort.

I believe that 70% of all league players grew up in the region that stretches from Penrith out to Campbelltown them back to Canterbury and Parramatta. What a waste for Australian Rugby not to fully harness this potential .

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
I find the discussion here still very confusing. According to the TAS website, all grades including the 13s will be playing GPS. I don't have access to the school numbers, others may be able to help here who are more current knowledge, but based on the little I know I would expect TAS to have at least 4 open teams (the thirds and fourths do struggle to get games, mind you, which can reduce enthusiasm), a minimum of two in each age group, with three, four or even 5 in a number of age groups. So say 4 open with around 12-15 in the age comp. These are just guesses, mind you.

Keeping my focus narrow to the thirds comp, the only one I can really follow, does anybody have a feel for what the Sydney schools are like? Since the thirds comp was reinstated, both TAS and SJC have been premiers/joint premiers three times (both outright premiers twice), SGS and TSC joint premiers once each. If either TAS or SJC wins this year, they will establish a clear premiership lead. We don't have Newington, something (as already indicated) I regret. SGS was written of earlier in a comment here, but seem to have come back. And is SBH as weak as suggested?

And what about the others? Who do you expect to win?

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
I find the discussion here still very confusing. According to the TAS website, all grades including the 13s will be playing GPS. I don't have access to the school numbers, others may be able to help here who are more current knowledge, but based on the little I know I would expect TAS to have at least 4 open teams (the thirds and fourths do struggle to get games, mind you, which can reduce enthusiasm), a minimum of two in each age group, with three, four or even 5 in a number of age groups. So say 4 open with around 12-15 in the age comp. These are just guesses, mind you.

Keeping my focus narrow to the thirds comp, the only one I can really follow, does anybody have a feel for what the Sydney schools are like? Since the thirds comp was reinstated, both TAS and SJC have been premiers/joint premiers three times (both outright premiers twice), SGS and TSC joint premiers once each. If either TAS or SJC wins this year, they will establish a clear premiership lead. We don't have Newington, something (as already indicated) I regret. SGS was written of earlier in a comment here, but seem to have come back. And is SBH as weak as suggested?

And what about the others? Who do you expect to win?

What really surprises me about Newington not apparently playing in the thirds competition this year is that this year I believe would have been one of their strongest 3rds sides in a while. A decent amount of depth in the current year 12 year group and also a quite strong 16s age group last year. Especially in the forwards.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
What really surprises me about Newington not apparently playing in the thirds competition this year is that this year I believe would have been one of their strongest 3rds sides in a while. A decent amount of depth in the current year 12 year group and also a quite strong 16s age group last year. Especially in the forwards.

There is no Shame in playing 4ths. and I assume New 3rds will be playing Kings. Joeys, View. Scots & Shore 4ths , I think they will find these games pretty competitive

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
St Gregs is a cracking school . I know some great kids , particularly country boys that have been there

my understanding is the boarders tend to be more the rugby union players, and the day students more into their league

any word on how the View v Auggies game went? It might give an indicator as to how good a game Waverley v View might be.

Although hoping view aren't sending their best to $cots sevens, otherwise it might be another mismatch

also curious to know if any surprises out of the Joeys trials . any smokies?

Riverview haven't played Augustine's.

PicknGo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Riverview haven't played Augustine's.
View are sending a team to Scots 7s Saturday. This contains a number of players likely to feature in the 1st XV back line this season plus a few from the forward pack. So definitely not a full strength XV team facing Waverley but no doubt will still be very competitive.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
An possible alternative solution is get St. Gregory's College, brother school to Joey's, to field their quality A teams against the GPS schools. Grammar, TAS and High would fill out the spaces in the lower grades. It's high time St. Gregs be incorporated into the GPS system.....

Greg's did combine with Grammar in the early/mid 2000s to make up a full fixture, and it worked well. The Greg's headmaster moved to Joeys in 2001 and put this arrangement together largely to give the boarders some good competition rather than sit around twiddling their thumbs on weekends. The country boys (mostly) played rugby while the locals played both league and union; a surprisingly large number play for Campbelltown Harlequins. Greg's has a proud history in the league metropolitan Catholic competition and there've been many play first grade for senior clubs; Trent Barrett, Ryan Hoffman, Jack Gibson and Tim Sheens all attended Greg's. NRL clubs use Greg's to bring promising youngsters to Sydney and usually ban then from playing rugby.

Greg's into the GPS? Hell will freeze over first.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Greg's did combine with Grammar in the early/mid 2000s to make up a full fixture, and it worked well. The Greg's headmaster moved to Joeys in 2001 and put this arrangement together largely to give the boarders some good competition rather than sit around twiddling their thumbs. The country boys (mostly) played rugby while the locals played both league and union; a surprisingly large number play for Campbelltown Harlequins. Greg's has a proud history in the metropolitan Catholic competition and there've been many play first grade for senior clubs; Trent Barrett, Ryan Hoffman, Jack Gibson and Tim Sheens all attended Greg's. NRL clubs use Greg's to bring promising youngsters to Sydney and usually ban then from playing rugby.

Greg's into the GPS? Hell will freeze over first.
What a disappointment, I believe Greg's and the GPS would have benefited.

Status
Not open for further replies.