• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Hunt 16B's

Imagine an annual championship match between the winner of the AAGPS vs GPS for state of origin bragging rights. However, wouldn't be surprised if results ended up like the real state of origin.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Lindommer,

In that year Joeys had the best GPS team throughout the ages but came last when they got into the 1STS. So I wouldn't draw any conclusions from this 1 game.
For what it is worth, Waverley toured up there that year and beat both Terrace and Nudgee convincingly.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
With all these 2017 teams named someone with the 'knowledge' put together an anticipated GPS 1st XV. We will look back on your selection next year and see how good of 'selector' you really are.

An almost impossible task - but to have a punt. To be honest i am not even 100% sure all are in year 11 (or 10) this year.

1. Luke Edwards (E)
2. Ed Collard (E) / Kyle Devine (N)
3. Darcy Breen (S)
4. Liam Jansen (N) / Angus Duvall (N)
5. Mac Williams (K)
6. Charlie Rorke (I)
7. Paddy Dalton (J) / Charlie Brown (K)
8. Max Burrows (E) / Will Harris (S)
9. Dylan Dowling (J) / James Haldane (N)
10. Jake Styles (S) / Joe Caputo (N)
11. Malu Nona (I) / Joe Kandalaft (J)
12. Max Sinclair (E)
13. Billy Smith (S) / Dom Easy (I)
14. Tom Yassmin (S)
15. Triston Reilly (J)

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm a regular poster in the QLD GPS and found a comment saying the best schools in Sydney would lose to the schools in the mid to lower tables in the QLD GPS. Is rugby not taken too seriously down south or is it other factors?

Interesting observation that neatly encapsulates the problem Queenslanders have (including the National selectors). They struggle to recognise talent and ability south of the border.
For the record in 2014 Scots played The Southport school in a pre season trial and gave them a hiding. That was a particularly fine Scots team but it was a very one sided contest by all accounts.
So QLD GPS a cut above NSW??......no evidence of this whatsoever, if anything National championship results would suggest greater strength in NSW.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting observation that neatly encapsulates the problem Queenslanders have (including the National selectors). They struggle to recognise talent and ability south of the border.
For the record in 2014 Scots played The Southport school in a pre season trial and gave them a hiding. That was a particularly fine Scots team but it was a very one sided contest by all accounts.
So QLD GPS a cut above NSW??..no evidence of this whatsoever, if anything National championship results would suggest greater strength in NSW.

Finally something that Wristy and I agree on!!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Don't feed the Queensland Troll.

They have shown their true colours (as if there was any doubt) and been banned.

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
Will Shore retain their coaches ? If the Australian media thinks Cheika should step down after 2nd in the world cup surely the Shore community would expect more from the current coaching staff. Although I do hear nothing changes at Shore.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Will Shore retain their coaches ? If the Australian media thinks Cheika should step down after 2nd in the world cup surely the Shore community would expect more from the current coaching staff. Although I do hear nothing changes at Shore.

You hear incorrectly.
One of the two coaches in the 2016 season was in his first year with the 1st XV.
Additionally, the MIC of rugby introduced a new system in 2016 of external coaches in the role of age group coordinators. The benefits of that program may take a couple of years to filter through to the Opens.

HoldingOn

Alfred Walker (16)
Just quietly, I think Shore was pleased with the development across all age groups. The win against Riverview was a large breakthrough. Not to mention the improvement of the 16As, who won their first game in 3 years

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
You hear incorrectly.
One of the two coaches in the 2016 season was in his first year with the 1st XV.
Additionally, the MIC of rugby introduced a new system in 2016 of external coaches in the role of age group coordinators. The benefits of that program may take a couple of years to filter through to the Opens.
Sounds something like the system Matt Williams regularly gets lambasted on GGR for. Will this influx of professionalism see the same consternation re the Shore program?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sounds something like the system Matt Williams regularly gets lambasted on GGR for. Will this influx of professionalism see the same consternation re the Shore program?

I think a lot of the lambasting of Williams arises from the fact that he hijacks the true purpose and meaning of school sport by prohibiting 1st XV aspirants from playing any other sport, from what I hear.
That makes rugby under him not really a sport but a marketing ploy, just as it has become at some other schools.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It speaks ill of those in charge at Knox Williams' ambitions are allowed in this instance. There's a lot to be said for schools insisting all students take part in both summer and winter sports, lucky for Matt Knox doesn't row.

ShortAndFlat

Frank Row (1)
Shore 1st/2nd XV
1. Luke Edwards > Callum Groth
2. Jock Livingstone > James Hardling
3. Matt Houston > Sam Alyward
4. Max Burrows > Charlie Wilkinson
5. Ben Wilkinson > Fergis Ellios? Jack Kench?
6. James Hunt > Charlie Feilen
7. Ed Collard (c) > Ben Fawcett
8. Aaron Doyle > Nathan Smith
9. Tom Simon > Henry Watson/Jett Hutton
10. Blake Rixon > Harry Moses
11. Reese Bolt-man > Tim Kendrick
12. Max Sinclair(vc) > Jack Honduras
13. Ralph Mitchell > Dan Jackson
14. Angus Cudmor > Matt Sullivin
15. Dom Walker > Justin Courbet

I back Nathan Smith to pop aaron doyle and also fergus ellis to pop ben. Mainly because nate has been working really hard in the off season and he is an underrated gem. Fergus ellis is a physical beast and knows how to hit the gym. Will be interesting to see if angus cudmore makes GPS 1s or 2s. I suppose we will have to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.