• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
RUMOUR confirmation

lead_large.jpg

Heard today Shore may not field a team in the 16A competition this year.
Anyone?
They pulled out of 15As after/during the trials last year so this wouldn't surprise. Doesn't look good for 1sts in a couple of years unless ".........best left for the other thread.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Other than the Scots 7s, Newington played internal trials today. Oakhill at Stanmore first week back at school.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
They pulled out of 15As after/during the trials last year so this wouldn't surprise. Doesn't look good for 1sts in a couple of years unless "...best left for the other thread.

The 15s and 14s are currently the strongest age group to have gone through Shore for some time so maybe quite a heavily dominated year 11 team with a sprinkling of year 10s.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
The 15s and 14s are currently the strongest age group to have gone through Shore for some time so maybe quite a heavily dominated year 11 team with a sprinkling of year 10s.

I was at the 13s today between Shore and Waverley, a great game by both teams probably deserved a draw.

Wasn't there but I believe in the 15as the winner was the ref, Shore won a close game, but a 35 penalty game in a 60 minute game, plus a penalty try and a 10m bin,meant that neither team ever got going.

There is no intent here to have a go at refs, in fact I admire them it's thankless, but occasionally you bump into someone who thinks the game is about him not the boys.

Hope this guy is dealt with,parents of both sides shook their heads, hope the ref association spots him.
Apparently he was a president or thereabouts of a refs association, somebody will know.
Action required here.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

UTG's do you have a boy in the younger age groups, it sounds like you may have been at the 13as or 15as game yesterday?

Regards WLF.

P.S. I have a boy in both teams but was at the 13s as it was their 1st game in big school!
And the 13as game was a cracker a draw would have be fair.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
UTG's do you have a boy in the younger age groups, it sounds like you may have been at the 13as or 15as game yesterday?

Regards WLF.

P.S. I have a boy in both teams but was at the 13s as it was their 1st game in big school!
And the 13as game was a cracker a draw would have be fair.
WLF, see my reply on the other thread but forgot to ask what was the score in the 13s? I was manly focussed on the Opens yesterday

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF, see my reply on the other thread but forgot to ask what was the score in the 13s? I was manly focussed on the Opens yesterday

The score in the 13as was 21-19 waves, a great game.

I also saw the 4ths and agree with you.
Boys can react at times but the ref needs to be capable, at that level, to deal with it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Yes, I recall that the 13s last year at Shore were quite strong. They were small though in comparison to some other schools, which may be significant when they hit 15s if there hasn't been some growth.

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
Understandable, their results against Kings and Newington last year, indicated they would struggle to say the least. However, they found suitable opponents elsewhere. They beat Cranbrook 60-5 and Grammar 34-5 don't other game results. So if Shore want to be a 7th CAS side in the 16As for 2018, I wish them well. Apparently, parents approached Dr Wright last year about the well- being of the players hence, their withdrawal.
What it shows is a massive gap opening up between between GPS and CAS. That is not good for Schoolboy Rugby. Nevertheless, the 5 remaining GPS schools have a excellent standard of Rugby and should seek out a sixth school as a replacement. St.Edmunds or Marist in Canberra if schools are prepared to travel could be a possibility. St. Gregory's or St.Augustine's is another possibility. Or a sports high school U/16 side, although I sure their players might have league commitments.
Any suggestions would be most interesting.

Last years Shore 15As had a horrible start to their season. A number of their larger backs had been injured in summer sports or were unavailabile due to other sport commitments. Given that Shore rugby training doesn’t start until after the rowing season ends they started the season under prepared against the star Trinity side, coming away with a few more injuries. They beat Waverly but were smashed by Kings which was largely a function of the size (probably 20kg average difference) and skill of Kings backs. In their Newington game, one of the props was injured requiring an ambulance and stopping the game. They went on tour to the Gold Coast and came back to play against cranbrook, Sydney Grammar and Scots who they all beat by large scores. I am not sure where the 7th CAS side comment comes from? As an outside observer it appears that all the GPS schools except for Joeys and Riverview need to recruit outside talent to keep their A teams competitive, even though they need to shore doesn’t. A number of the CAS schools do this and can more than match the GPS schools.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Disagree with your statement.
They are both involved. The latter very much so, and the former wrote the book.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last years Shore 15As had a horrible start to their season. A number of their larger backs had been injured in summer sports or were unavailabile due to other sport commitments. Given that Shore rugby training doesn’t start until after the rowing season ends they started the season under prepared against the star Trinity side, coming away with a few more injuries. They beat Waverly but were smashed by Kings which was largely a function of the size (probably 20kg average difference) and skill of Kings backs. In their Newington game, one of the props was injured requiring an ambulance and stopping the game. They went on tour to the Gold Coast and came back to play against cranbrook, Sydney Grammar and Scots who they all beat by large scores. I am not sure where the 7th CAS side comment comes from? As an outside observer it appears that all the GPS schools except for Joeys and Riverview need to recruit outside talent to keep their A teams competitive, even though they need to shore doesn’t. A number of the CAS schools do this and can more than match the GPS schools.

What I meant by the 7th CAS side, is that the Shore 16As would simply play CAS and possibly ISA sides, as opposed the GPS sides. Thereby, avoiding a miserably season where they would suffer week after week of heavy loses. Nobody enjoys Rugby when such mismatches occur, least of all the players suffering them. In this way Shore !6As could be expected to find themselves, competitive and their interest in Rugby reignited. Either way I wish them well for the 2018.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
What I meant by the 7th CAS side, is that the Shore 16As would simply play CAS and possibly ISA sides, as opposed the GPS sides. Thereby, avoiding a miserably season where they would suffer week after week of heavy loses. Nobody enjoys Rugby when such mismatches occur, least of all the players suffering them. In this way Shore !6As could be expected to find themselves, competitive and their interest in Rugby reignited. Either way I wish them well for the 2018.
Think Shore we're happy to play Joeys, Riverview and Scots. Had issues with the other 2.

But they had to withdraw from all GPS games. So they looked for alternative fixtures.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Think Shore we're happy to play Joeys, Riverview and Scots. Had issues with the other 2.

But they had to withdraw from all GPS games. So they looked for alternative fixtures.

Not sure that they were that keen on playing Joeys - IIRC a parent from the team posted something to the effect that they had had injuries and lopsided scorelines against Kings, Newington and Joeys prior to withdrawing. Scots 15s with half the year group away would have been ok - they may have even played that game.