• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Not sure that they were that keen on playing Joeys - IIRC a parent from the team posted something to the effect that they had had injuries and lopsided scorelines against Kings, Newington and Joeys prior to withdrawing. Scots 15s with half the year group away would have been ok - they may have even played that game.

The boys were largely happy to play Joeys (& View & Scots) but the school made the decision to withdraw from the entire comp on their behalf after a review of the situation. Safety was the issue with Kings and Newington with serious mismatches in player size between Shore & these 2 sides. Those two particular sides seemed to grow significantly and find some new faces between 2016 to 2017 for some unknown reason o_O. Whilst they did get beaten by Joeys as well, the difference was more a skill and organisation issue early in the season. They played Scots later on and won that game (admittedly against a fairly depleted Scots outfit).

Loiterers post #236 above accurately describes what happened last year where the start of the season saw their larger backs and some key forwards missing plus there were a lot of rowers in the 15A's last year so training started very late hence early season was a real struggle. The second half of the season saw key players (5-6) return plus some external coaching input and accordingly they were a different team.

I dont know what will happen this season in 16A's. They have lost some key larger players to opens however they played and lost 14-7 against a very large Waverley team on the weekend and played with a lot of heart although it was a scrappy game dominated by mistakes and the ref. I suspect a call to proceed will be made after the trials.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I dont know what will happen this season in 16A's. They have lost some key larger players to opens however they played and lost 14-7 against a very large Waverley team on the weekend and played with a lot of heart although it was a scrappy game dominated by mistakes and the ref. I suspect a call to proceed will be made after the trials.

Do you know what the score last year against Waverly was when Shore trialled against them as 15s? Did they improve on it this year?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The boys were largely happy to play Joeys (& View & Scots) but the school made the decision to withdraw from the entire comp on their behalf after a review of the situation. Safety was the issue with Kings and Newington with serious mismatches in player size between Shore & these 2 sides. Those two particular sides seemed to grow significantly and find some new faces between 2016 to 2017 for some unknown reason o_O. Whilst they did get beaten by Joeys as well, the difference was more a skill and organisation issue early in the season. They played Scots later on and won that game (admittedly against a fairly depleted Scots outfit).

Loiterers post #236 above accurately describes what happened last year where the start of the season saw their larger backs and some key forwards missing plus there were a lot of rowers in the 15A's last year so training started very late hence early season was a real struggle. The second half of the season saw key players (5-6) return plus some external coaching input and accordingly they were a different team.

Interesting that they were happy to play Joeys, as I saw Joeys play Newington in 15As last year and Joeys were as big if not bigger than Newington and very well developed in terms of muscle mass etc.

Hopefully the Shore boys have put on a bit of beef in the off season (although all that rowing tends to make you leaner) for the 16As. No one likes to see mismatches where boys are at risk of injury. The result against Waverley is good as Waverley are often quite a physical size - although I didn't see Waverley play last year as the New v Waverley round was completely washed out after a week of rain.

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
I was at the 13s today between Shore and Waverley, a great game by both teams probably deserved a draw.

Wasn't there but I believe in the 15as the winner was the ref, Shore won a close game, but a 35 penalty game in a 60 minute game, plus a penalty try and a 10m bin,meant that neither team ever got going.

There is no intent here to have a go at refs, in fact I admire them it's thankless, but occasionally you bump into someone who thinks the game is about him not the boys.

Hope this guy is dealt with,parents of both sides shook their heads, hope the ref association spots him.
Apparently he was a president or thereabouts of a refs association, somebody will know.
Action required here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know this ref (not well though), and yes he can have games now and then when this happens; its very unfortunate for everyone involved
btw - the games are only 50 min duration (25 min per half), so the PK count makes it even more horrendous...
I also know a Waverley mum who was talking about this particular game on the Sunday after - she said the poor lad who was sent off (SB?) rarely if ever gets penalised in a match, let alone being sent from the field for any rugby transgression..
I am sure the Rugby Master/ Rugby Ref co-ordinators at Waverley will ensure this ref does not get such an important match again...

Reactions: WLF

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know this ref (not well though), and yes he can have games now and then when this happens; its very unfortunate for everyone involved
btw - the games are only 50 min duration (25 min per half), so the PK count makes it even more horrendous.
I also know a Waverley mum who was talking about this particular game on the Sunday after - she said the poor lad who was sent off (SB?) rarely if ever gets penalised in a match, let alone being sent from the field for any rugby transgression..
I am sure the Rugby Master/ Rugby Ref co-ordinators at Waverley will ensure this ref does not get such an important match again.

Not sure if refs associations are that flush with numbers though. Quite often with these school games it's a matter of just finding someone to do it. If he's president of the association or whatever, there's a farily good chance that he makes sure he gets the good games. One of the worst referees I've seen had some official position and always kept getting a games. It might even be the same guy as the penalty count and sin bin activity sound very familiar. Older gentleman, tall and balding?

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Do you know what the score last year against Waverly was when Shore trialled against them as 15s? Did they improve on it this year?
Shore beat Waverley in trials last year but this years Waverley team was very different. They have had an influx of players, some from Trinity.

There were 4 yellows and one red card in the game. The ref did a good job to control it but it was hard to judge either team.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Shore beat Waverley in trials last year but this years Waverley team was very different. They have had an influx of players, some from Trinity.

There were 4 yellows and one red card in the game. The ref did a good job to control it but it was hard to judge either team.

Heard that there were a number of games like this with major discipline problems, not ideal for trials.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

Last year I did see Newington overpower Oakhill in a one sided match( New stopped taking the conversions). But it was more the sheer pace of New, rather than physical strength. They also beat Knox 15As about 60-0 as well as Kinross by a similar amount. In the Shore game it was again New's pace outwide that did the damage and established a 54-0 lead. A number of the Newington tries were scored from their own 25 due to superb support play. With 20 minutes to go, the accident to the Shore Player, required the game called off.

However, View beat Newington in the GPS season 29-0 last year( But were beaten by New 10-7 in the trial), where they outmuscled Newington, particularly at the Breakdown. Joeys beat Newington 27-14 also in the 15As. Newington beat Kings 31-19 in their last game. But Kings beat New 17-12 in the trial. My assessment is that the Newington 15As are a fast running side, rather than a grinding physically overpowering side.

So the four sides of Newington,Kings,View and Joeys are on their day, extremely competitive amongst themselves. To single out New and Kings I feel is erroneous, as the other two sides Joeys and View are equally big and skilled opponents. Yes,sides will perform differently on the day often depending on injuries or poor form.

With Scots at full strength, the 16As competition should be a immensely exciting one. One would hope Shore participates, but if safety issues are of concern, then safety comes first.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Not sure if refs associations are that flush with numbers though. Quite often with these school games it's a matter of just finding someone to do it. If he's president of the association or whatever, there's a farily good chance that he makes sure he gets the good games. One of the worst referees I've seen had some official position and always kept getting a games. It might even be the same guy as the penalty count and sin bin activity sound very familiar. Older gentleman, tall and balding?

Yes that would be him.

I spoke to parents who were at the game, I also spoke to a dad from a non-related school who came to watch, and I watched the video of the game.
The take out was that parents on both sides were gob smacked by this ref.
The game never got going, it was a procession of over exaggerated signalling, to justify every call, and the game wasn't about the boys on both sides, it was completely about him.

He also made a decision to have non contested scrums towards the end, without asking either coach in an A grade game..

There were no issues between the boys on the field, in fact both sides handled each other well.
These 2 sides are strong and will play each other at Shore again in the coming weeks.

Then we will get a true guage of their ability, as long as ..... isn't present.

There isn't an abundance of refs, and most are brilliant, but imo, this one needs to hang up his boots.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Hey Joker

Any match report from Joeys V Marist Game?

Who are the Joeys boys to watch in the trials ahead?

On the ISA thread there was mention that Auggies wont be at full strength for their clash with Joeys due to a tour to Japan. I hope that is not the case as that should be a great match.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Hey Joker

Any match report from Joeys V Marist Game?

Who are the Joeys boys to watch in the trials ahead?

On the ISA thread there was mention that Auggies wont be at full strength for their clash with Joeys due to a tour to Japan. I hope that is not the case as that should be a great match.

Joeys were experimenting with players. Nick Chan was at 10 and he did well. Most set pieces were stable at times. Most tries were scored out wide with Joeys having too much speed. Two strong debuts from Dalton and Cutler showed mongrel across the ground. The team looked more balanced than last year at this early stage.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
I wanted to ask re Shore and the GPS.

There are three GPS Rugby comps, First, Seconds and Thirds. Is Shore competing in these three this year? My impressions was that they were.

Below the top three, we follow the other GPS matches with interest, but they are not comp matches. Three schools are already playing lower teams Is this what is happening with Shore? I believe that it is important that we be factual.

On a perhaps more positive note. on my way back to Sydney I drove past TAS to look at bits of the largest under twelve national rugby comp in the country. I couldn't stop, but it was a huge and impressive effort. To my mind this is where the longer term future of rugby lies. Forget the top, work from the bottom.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I wanted to ask re Shore and the GPS.

There are three GPS Rugby comps, First, Seconds and Thirds. Is Shore competing in these three this year? My impressions was that they were.

Below the top three, we follow the other GPS matches with interest, but they are not comp matches. Three schools are already playing lower teams Is this what is happening with Shore? I believe that it is important that we be factual.

On a perhaps more positive note. on my way back to Sydney I drove past TAS to look at bits of the largest under twelve national rugby comp in the country. I couldn't stop, but it was a huge and impressive effort. To my mind this is where the longer term future of rugby lies. Forget the top, work from the bottom.

As far as I know, Shore will be playing in 1sts, 2nds and 3rds (and will have plenty of teams below this). They should also have plenty of age group teams in every age. Last year there was an issue with their 15A team withdrawing from the competition, so there may be a cloud over their 16A this year, but nothing else.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
As far as I know, Shore will be playing in 1sts, 2nds and 3rds (and will have plenty of teams below this). They should also have plenty of age group teams in every age. Last year there was an issue with their 15A team withdrawing from the competition, so there may be a cloud over their 16A this year, but nothing else.

Thanks for this, QH. This resolves the confusion that had arisen in my mind. By the way, it appears that Russell Crowe visited the TAS rugby carnival and tweeted very favourably about it.