• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Here are some shocking stats for Shore parents with rugby playing sons. Good results as the boys come out of club rugby then it gets steadily worse as the boys move towards opens (and are exposed to Shore coaching)
Yes, we have seen these stats. There have been some great initiatives implemented this year with the appointment of MacQueen, appointment of year group co-ordinators, coach-the-coaches programs etc. my son was even reading the school playbook last night before bed which hasn’t happened previously (there wasn’t one).

In reality it will take a few years for cultural and structural change to happen and parents need to be realistic. Rod presented his plan to parents recently and will do so again next week so there should be realistic expectations set.

Meanwhile, there will be some big losses as bad habits and some losing mentality is worked on. There are some really promising signs in the 13’s/14’s and there are at least 6 teams in each age so there is at least some good raw material to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Harris was not playing 'behind' a winning pack, Harris was in the thick of it and very much part of it. Maybe you should acknowledge that Moretti was in a well beaten pack. A 26 point demolishing of CAS's premier side is proof enough. Harris' line out is first class and his discipline and temperament are superior. Oh and check out 29:50 on the highlights tape where Moretti was guarding the blind side of the ruck and Strang runs UNTOUCHED inside him to score an easy try. [But of course, the head knock, the ref, the absent team-mates, the lack of $ coaching, the inferior facilities, yawn].

How about we move on from how good Harris is, I think I have agreed about 10 times, along with the fact that Scots were too good the other day.
If you read what I actually said I was referring to the career so far for Moretti not just the 1 game last Saturday, it does surpass most other players at the moment, Harris is up there too.
You may choose to ignore some things that didn't help the Waves cause last Sat, but they were real, and I suspect any team, including Scots, would be affected in a similar fashion, BUT on the day Scots were too good, that's footy.

Forget the $,coaching,inferior facilities comeback, because if you accurately read my previous comments on these areas, I have always said that Waverley has great facilities, coaching etc.
Please check your facts before firing, because to me that is a big yawn.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
As you know, I follow the GPS Thirds Comp because that is the only comp in which a third of the GPS - High, TAS and Grammar - are playing. I want to do a Thirds preview, but am finding the paucity of results frustrating, trying to pick them up in the middle of chatter across three threads. There are also some discrepancies between the results that I do have.

The only results that I have for Saturday 19 May are Joey’s thirds defeated Pats firsts 24-14. Cranbrook firsts defeated TAS firsts 46 (I had 44)-14, St Greg’s firsts defeated Grammar firsts 50-10. So I don’t have results for Shore, View, New, High, Scots or Kings. More broadly, for 5 May I am missing the High and View results, for 12 May I am missing View And Kings.

Can anybody help fill gaps?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
As you know, I follow the GPS Thirds Comp because that is the only comp in which a third of the GPS - High, TAS and Grammar - are playing. I want to do a Thirds preview, but am finding the paucity of results frustrating, trying to pick them up in the middle of chatter across three threads. There are also some discrepancies between the results that I do have.

Hi Jim

Thank you for doing a 3rd XV preview. I too enjoy reading what the whole of GPS competition looks like. The source of truth is the AAGPS website and "official" results are posted there weekly (usually Monday) http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/winter-sports/rugby/results-2/ However I note that they are not posting the 3rd XV results which is frustrating.

If it helps, the Joeys results from the 4 weeks of trials are as follows:

7 Apr Joeys defeated Riverview 3rds 26 - 7
5 May Joeys defeated Scots 3rds 24 - 21
12 May Joeys Lost to St Aloysius 1sts 24 - 14
19 May Joeys defeated St Pats 1sts 24 - 14

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Gregor,

There is no doubt that Harris is a superb player, does he have the overall skills and experience and Rep proven track record that Moretti has, you would have to say not even close, at the moment.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
He is playing behind a great pack, so far, but at rep level when packs even up, Moretti will continue to shine in a big way.
So at the moment, one player is proven, but as yet, one isn't, but we hope he too is!

The nature of schoolboy rugby is that boys can increase in size and skill year on year dramatically. Proven record should be considered, but how much a boy has developed from previous seasons IMO is a even more important factor in assessing the potential of a schoolboy to go on to higher honours. Harris has demonstrated and shown the smarts to develop his game and continues to just get better.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Hi Jim

Thank you for doing a 3rd XV preview. I too enjoy reading what the whole of GPS competition looks like. The source of truth is the AAGPS website and "official" results are posted there weekly (usually Monday) http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/winter-sports/rugby/results-2/ However I note that they are not posting the 3rd XV results which is frustrating.

If it helps, the Joeys results from the 4 weeks of trials are as follows:

7 Apr Joeys defeated Riverview 3rds 26 - 7
5 May Joeys defeated Scots 3rds 24 - 21
12 May Joeys Lost to St Aloysius 1sts 24 - 14
19 May Joeys defeated St Pats 1sts 24 - 14

Hi AS and thanks. Those results are helpful. For some reason the AAGPS web site does not appear to have the High results and isn't helpful with the thirds. It's complex because we have so many schools with teams playing at various levels. At the moment and as happened last year, Joey's appears the team to beat. So who are the challengers? TAS is one, but I need the other results to fill it in. High is especially interesting at this point because their win against Pius, admittedly the weakest of the ISA schools, suggests that they have a workman like team.

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
The only results that I have for Saturday 19 May are Joey’s thirds defeated Pats firsts 24-14. Cranbrook firsts defeated TAS firsts 46 (I had 44)-14, St Greg’s firsts defeated Grammar firsts 50-10. So I don’t have results for Shore, View, New, High, Scots or Kings. More broadly, for 5 May I am missing the High and View results, for 12 May I am missing View And Kings.

19th May, Scots 3rds defeated High 1sts 19-5

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
19th May, Scots 3rds defeated High 1sts 19-5

Now That's very interesting, Freddo. Do like those frogs. Joey's beats Scots 24-21, Scots beats High 19-5. That's roughly a 19 point gap between Joey's as team to beat and High depending on the way you calculate it. Both Scots and High are in the contender mix, with a much lower starting gap against Joey's than last year.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Now That's very interesting, Freddo. Do like those frogs. Joey's beats Scots 24-21, Scots beats High 19-5. That's roughly a 19 point gap between Joey's as team to beat and High depending on the way you calculate it. Both Scots and High are in the contender mix, with a much lower starting gap against Joey's than last year.

High 1sts are playing Waverley 3rds this week. All other High teams are at Newington playing New C teams. Will be good to see High back at Stanmore - it's been 3 years or so as New haven't been in the 3rds competition.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Suspect that the 1sts match will bring more pain for New this week. Would love to be wrong, but can't see them beating a very good Waverley team. Age groups will be interesting - suspect very competitive matches in the A games. Always hard to tell once it gets beyond the As.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think Newington v SBHS 14s/15s games are both at QP along with the rest of the Waverley v Newington fixtures in those age groups in order to make things easier for the age group and perhaps to ease congestion at Newington. Sounds a sensible solution.

High 1sts are playing Waverley 3rds this week. All other High teams are at Newington playing New C teams. Will be good to see High back at Stanmore - it's been 3 years or so as New haven't been in the 3rds competition.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Suspect that the 1sts match will bring more pain for New this week. Would love to be wrong, but can't see them beating a very good Waverley team.

Having watched Scots play New and Waves in 2 consecutive weeks, I'd have to agree. Waves looked like they had a lot more points in them.

When is Angus Bell due back?

Also is Tolu Koula likely to get a run in 1sts?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think Newington v SBHS 14s/15s games are both at QP along with the rest of the Waverley v Newington fixtures in those age groups in order to make things easier for the age group and perhaps to ease congestion at Newington. Sounds a sensible solution.

Indeed, 14s and 15s New v High games are at Queens Park in order to keep age groups together.

EDIT: It's a pity that Augustines and Pius couldn't do the same last week as alternate teams in every age group were at opposite venues, which made things quite difficult. Wouldn't have been too hard to have put 2 age groups at Pius and the rest at Narrabeen.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
While molto interest will be up Waitara way on Saturday, for those who’re interested, it looks like Scots 1’s and 2’s are hosting Auggies 1’s and 2’s at BH on Saturday.
Scots 3’s are playing away against St Pius 1’s (note for Father Jim Belshaw).
And Scots 16A’s are hosting Auggies 16A’s in the 1pm match on Main.

021D21EE-0558-4A82-8D5E-4127F458733C.png

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Shore 3rds defeated Barker 3rds 46-0.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Hi Guys - I am a CAS supporter - will be at the Barker v Joeys match on Saturday. Who will be the Joey's players to watch out for? Any predictions offered?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hi Guys - I am a CAS supporter - will be at the Barker v Joeys match on Saturday. Who will be the Joey's players to watch out for? Any predictions offered?

Yes any team lists ....? I have been good enough to share Waverley team lists.

Is Scholari back? Armchair Selector? I thought he was a flanker ... back in his youth. If it is Scholari versus Galloway that would be a good match up!

One of the only shames about last years Waverley beating Joeys, was the fact that Scholari was injured early ... and you never like to see anyone being badly injured

I think it will be worth the trip to Waitara ... although if Barker win ... which I think they will ... it would be sweeter at Hunters Hill.

The scots v Auggies match will be a good one too

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Joeys will be keen to amend for last weeks performance. Haven’t seen a team list for Barker game

Players to watch based on early form and last year rep selections

Prop Nick Jones Aust u16 merit selection
Hooker Julian Heaven GPS Blue has been out injured
#6 Jet Williams Aust Indigenous 7s team
#8 Hugh Bokenham been one of the strongest in the pack
Log jam in backs with long list of talented players vying for selection.
Vincent Creagh GPS 1s dangerous at 5/8 or IC.
Xavier Ryan GPS Blue elusive and quick in centres
Jude Gibbs NSW U16 laser acurate kicking
Liam Scolari GPS White has been out injured but a tough hard running winger

So that is a run down on 4 forwards and 4 backs

Not sure who is in rehab at this stage. 4 were missing from last week against trinity

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Joeys will be keen to amend for last weeks performance. Haven’t seen a team list for Barker game

Players to watch based on early form and last year rep selections

Prop Nick Jones Aust u16 merit selection
Hooker Julian Heaven GPS Blue has been out injured
#6 Jet Williams Aust Indigenous 7s team
#8 Hugh Bokenham been one of the strongest in the pack
Log jam in backs with long list of talented players vying for selection.
Vincent Creagh GPS 1s dangerous at 5/8 or IC.
Xavier Ryan GPS Blue elusive and quick in centres
Jude Gibbs NSW U16 laser acurate kicking
Liam Scolari GPS White has been out injured but a tough hard running winger

So that is a run down on 4 forwards and 4 backs

Not sure who is in rehab at this stage. 4 were missing from last week against trinity
Where is Chan? Playing 2s?