• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Joeys will be keen to amend for last weeks performance. Haven’t seen a team list for Barker game

Players to watch based on early form and last year rep selections

Prop Nick Jones Aust u16 merit selection
Hooker Julian Heaven GPS Blue has been out injured
#6 Jet Williams Aust Indigenous 7s team
#8 Hugh Bokenham been one of the strongest in the pack
Log jam in backs with long list of talented players vying for selection.
Vincent Creagh GPS 1s dangerous at 5/8 or IC.
Xavier Ryan GPS Blue elusive and quick in centres
Jude Gibbs NSW U16 laser acurate kicking
Liam Scolari GPS White has been out injured but a tough hard running winger

So that is a run down on 4 forwards and 4 backs

Not sure who is in rehab at this stage. 4 were missing from last week against trinity

And what about Tom Everleigh. Missed a lot of last season injured. But showed huge promise early in season. Produced one of the 'hits of the year' - against Scots in trial. See 31sec mark in clip below.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
And what about Tom Everleigh. Missed a lot of last season injured. But showed huge promise early in season. Produced one of the 'hits of the year' - against Scots in trial. See 31sec mark in clip below.

Yep very aggressive in defence. Has been in firsts for all trials from memory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Yes any team lists ..? I have been good enough to share Waverley team lists.
Thanks SDW. Agree, even on the day, if anyone can use their phone to snap & upload a pic of the teamlists from the programmes that would be good. The progs are usually gone by the time I get there. And a pic of the pies, where is Azzuri? Surely he is bored of club rugby by now?

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Gee, but there are some spicy morsels to get out and amongst on Saturday; albeit ‘only’ Trials.

1ST XV & 2ND XV – Trials:

STAG/SPX v S - Go Scots! ‘Nuff said

E v T - Trinity to make a ‘statement’? That last week was NO fluke!

SSC/KWS v K - Battle of the Westies, near and Central? Brace y’selves Kings’ lads!

B/OAK v J - Joeys to make a ‘statement’? That last week WAS a fluke?? But Barker to have puh-lenty to say about that! The Match of The Round

I v Kn - a Draw??

N v W - bring Ambulances; lots of them; for the respective Old Boys gatherings!!

In a version akin to “Where’s Wally”, when so many cracking games are on offer - where WILL Sidesteppa and his trusty vid cam be??

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Gee, but there are some spicy morsels to get out and amongst on Saturday; albeit ‘only’ Trials.

SSC/KWS v K - Battle of the Westies, near and Central? Brace y’selves Kings’ lads!

B/OAK v J - Joeys to make a ‘statement’? That last week WAS a fluke?? But Barker to have puh-lenty to say about that! The Match of The Round

I v Kn - a Draw??

N v W - bring Ambulances; lots of them; for the respective Old Boys gatherings!!

In a version akin to “Where’s Wally”, when so many cracking games are on offer - where WILL Sidesteppa and his trusty vid cam be??

Scots
Trinity
Kings
Joeys
unknown
Waverley

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes any team lists ..? I have been good enough to share Waverley team lists.

Is Scholari back? Armchair Selector? I thought he was a flanker . back in his youth. If it is Scholari versus Galloway that would be a good match up!

One of the only shames about last years Waverley beating Joeys, was the fact that Scholari was injured early . and you never like to see anyone being badly injured

I think it will be worth the trip to Waitara . although if Barker win . which I think they will . it would be sweeter at Hunters Hill.

The scots v Auggies match will be a good one too
Just got to say that I'm a little concerned with Joeys' direction at the moment. Having played just 3 games since early April, word is they have made wholesale changes to the back line this weekend. Xavier Ryan to fullback? My understanding is he has never played there before. O'Brien to O/C and Creagh to 12 and Wilson to the wing. All extremely talented players who deserve their spot and should be there somewhere but now all playing out of position? To do this before such a big game v Barker? Can somebody please help me out here? I'm surprised with this many changes they haven't moved Scolari into the centres or fullback or tried some of the 2s who are doing everything asked of them.

If we win, I will gladly delete this post.

Good Clean Game

Bob McCowan (2)
Just got to say that I'm a little concerned with Joeys' direction at the moment. Having played just 3 games since early April, word is they have made wholesale changes to the back line this weekend. Xavier Ryan to fullback? My understanding is he has never played there before. O'Brien to O/C and Creagh to 12 and Wilson to the wing. All extremely talented players who deserve their spot and should be there somewhere but now all playing out of position? To do this before such a big game v Barker? Can somebody please help me out here? I'm surprised with this many changes they haven't moved Scolari into the centres or fullback or tried some of the 2s who are doing everything asked of them.

If we win, I will gladly delete this post.

Isn’t that the point of playing “trial” games?

Surely those at the helm of Joeys would be far less concerned about potentially losing to Barker compared to coming up with a potentially winning combination for when the competition really starts!

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)

I v Kn - a Draw??

Scots

Trinity by plenty. No fluke last week. There are either no Trinity supporters in forum right now, or they are foxing. Any team with Ilias, Edmed, Chambers, Tauiliili-Pelesasa, Vuki, Ginis and Lambert (and Ive probably missed a few) was always going to be quality. I'm tipping top 3 finish in CAS for them and outside chance of winning.

Kings

Barker but not by much. They are 'the side to beat' but it's not beyond Joeys to pull an 'upset'. They will be even more eager to win (if thats possible) after last week's loss. But they should not be too worried. Trinity are a very good side too - see above.

View

Waves

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Isn’t that the point of playing “trial” games?

Surely those at the helm of Joeys would be far less concerned about potentially losing to Barker compared to coming up with a potentially winning combination for when the competition really starts!
Yes of course. Here’s the thing. Getting combinations that can perform well under pressure is priceless before the comp starts. Trinity showed us up. Yes there is still time but the clock is ticking to get the side settled. Barker is a great “trial” to do things against a quality side. There are 3 players in the backs from last year’s 1st XV who won’t be playing in their positions. It’s surprising to me 3 weeks out from the competition we have made so many changes at once without injuries.To me, some of the changes that could have been looked at weren’t made and yet we’ve gone and moved everyone around all over the shop. That said, great & very easy to offer advice from afar - the lot of a coach not an easy one.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Yes of course. Here’s the thing. Getting combinations that can perform well under pressure is priceless before the comp starts. Trinity showed us up. Yes there is still time but the clock is ticking to get the side settled. Barker is a great “trial” to do things against a quality side. There are 3 players in the backs from last year’s 1st XV who won’t be playing in their positions. It’s surprising to me 3 weeks out from the competition we have made so many changes at once without injuries.To me, some of the changes that could have been looked at weren’t made and yet we’ve gone and moved everyone around all over the shop. That said, great & very easy to offer advice from afar - the lot of a coach not an easy one.
I think Joeys should have Barker covered in the backs. Its the forwards Joeys should be concerntrating on. Will need some big metre eaters in the pack to address what could be a significant advantage for Barker.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)

I am hoping Steppa travels up to Waitara as there is keen interest in that game! Agree match of the round.

My tips

Scots provides a "character building" opportunity for Auggies by 45.

Trinity over Shore by 50

Kings over Stannies by 12

Joeys in a tight one by 5 over Barker. Thirds to Joeys over Oakhill by 21

Riverview use home advantage over Knox by 14

Waverley dominate Newington comfortably by 30

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
My tips

Scots to have too much class with the slow-cooked lamb-shank and red-wine pies being a big hit at the Blackwatch. Scots by a couple of dozen.

Trinity will get over Shore if they can replicate the same spice as found in the Summer Hill Chicken and curry pie as found in the Village Patisserie. Trinity by a couple of bites.

Kings will use Stannies as an opportunity to trial some new ideas. Looking forward to seeing how the Cajun Pork and Beef Cheese Pie works out. Kings in a canter followed by a slow gallop.

Joeys will stop indulging in new fan-dangled recipes and will return to a more traditional pork and black pudding creation. Meat and blood. This should them get in by 10 over Barker who have had great success this season with their northern steak and Stilton pie.

Riverview will use their local knowledge which will see their Balkan lamb and leek pie (wrapped in delicate filo pastry) be a far superior combination than the Knox effort which has been more of a water sprouts and baby greens. View by at least dozen lobster tails

Waverley should easily beat the Stanmore lads who have found that their pie does not contain enough pork and taro root as their once did. Waves comfortably by 20.

Piggy_black_pie_3__ml.jpg

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
hmmmm ... there are some pretty good match ups this weekend

I reckon that Joeys Xavier Ryan will go alright at 15 ... I tell you what ....that kid has no fear ... and I think that is a good thing

you don't want to be over-thinking it , when making that last gasp tackle

and on a completely different facet on play ... the dark arts .... and the Newington v Waves clash .... it will be interesting in the front row ... I see Felix Valentine has been promoted for the injured McGuiggan ...I rate Felix, he is reliable and he should go well

either way, Newington will no doubt be trying to target the scrum like Scots did ... and with incumbent Angus Bell in the Newington front row ... they could have some joy ... at least in that area

however with Waverley's back-row back to full strength, I'd tip Waverley. Although I am surprised that Murphy's shoulder is 100% ... better to rest him ... if any doubt IMHO

tips

Auggies in an upset
Trinity is a cricket-score
Kings ion a canter
Barker over Joeys in a ding dong battle
View over Knox by 20+
Waves over New ... in a tight one

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
hmmmm . there are some pretty good match ups this weekend

I reckon that Joeys Xavier Ryan will go alright at 15 . I tell you what ..that kid has no fear . and I think that is a good thing

you don't want to be over-thinking it , when making that last gasp tackle

and on a completely different facet on play . the dark arts .. and the Newington v Waves clash .. it will be interesting in the front row . I see Felix Valentine has been promoted for the injured McGuiggan .I rate Felix, he is reliable and he should go well

either way, Newington will no doubt be trying to target the scrum like Scots did . and with incumbent Angus Bell in the Newington front row . they could have some joy . at least in that area

however with Waverley's back-row back to full strength, I'd tip Waverley. Although I am surprised that Murphy's shoulder is 100% . better to rest him . if any doubt IMHO

tips

Auggies in an upset
Kings ion a canter
View over Knox by 20+
Waves over New . in a tight one

Yes I hear you Sonny. Not saying the players can't handle the changes but a bit of a surprising risk. Joeys has plenty of depth for talented backs (& forwards). Should be a great game as are some of the other match ups this weekend.

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Scots vs Auggies - one key difference between these two teams that I believe will have a large bearing on the outcome will be discipline; and specifically in relation to how the teams will deal with the referee decisions that will not go their way.
My snouts tell me that Auggies do not cope well when they believe they get the raw end of the prawn with perceived bad calls; speaking to an Auggies supporter last Sunday, he told me that the game against Newington would not have been as close as it was had the Auggies players were not binned for lack of self-discipline in the 2nd half. I also know the ref that did the game Aug vs Waverley, and he told me a very similar story – players questioning decisions and the manner that they did so as well; they lost a couple of players to the bin with that attitude
From reviewing sidesteppa’s vids of Scots this season, they appear to just get on with the game if a decision goes against them; largely I believe due to the Brian Smith influence.
Make no mistake, this game could well and truly be decided by the team that simply gets on with the job rather than trying to change a refs mind on a supposed crook call…
Based on this I think it will be Scots by 21+

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
and on a completely different facet on play . the dark arts .. and the Newington v Waves clash .. it will be interesting in the front row . I see Felix Valentine has been promoted for the injured McGuiggan .I rate Felix, he is reliable and he should go well

either way, Newington will no doubt be trying to target the scrum like Scots did . and with incumbent Angus Bell in the Newington front row . they could have some joy . at least in that area

however with Waverley's back-row back to full strength, I'd tip Waverley. Although I am surprised that Murphy's shoulder is 100% . better to rest him . if any doubt IMHO

tips

Auggies in an upset
Kings ion a canter
View over Knox by 20+
Waves over New . in a tight one

Angus Bell not playing - assume he's injured.

I'd like to think it will be a close game, but I suspect that Waverley will win quite well.

EDIT: Bell is playing, but at No 8 (was only looking at front row when I responded.)