• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Thanks for your replies Biceptimus and Props

So it seems 10 from NSW GPS and 6 from CAS out of the ( presumably ) 50 jerseys across U16 NSW 1 and 2 last year

I would imagine there would be a fair number of boys from NSW Country , however , the numbers in representation across the two associations seems low compared to QLD U16’s where 90% plus of jerseys went to GPS and AIC players

And certainly in last year’s U15 JGC there was next to no level of representation from the GPS and CAS schools in the Sydney Rays team that got run over by QLD Red - which had a healthy number of GPS boys but was far from being a “best of” in what QLD had to offer in the age group

However the point being is that greater levels of representation from GPS Schools in junior pathways in QLD - compared to GPS and CAS schools in NSW seems to be the case and I wonder why that is ?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Is there any publication from NSW Rugby as to the school / origin of last year’s rep players in U16’s and U15’s ?

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Dan Botha - scots NSW 1
Jordan Williams - kings NSW 1
Jude Gibbs -joeys NSW 1

David vei - NSW 1 moving from st augustines to newington (rumour)

David Vei was at Balgowlah Boys, I thought. He certainly played for CHS 16s last year. Nevertheless, an interesting move!

rugbyman03

Frank Row (1)
Have heard that Shore has revamped their rugby program for 2018 including the appointment of Rod Macqueen to their staff. Can anyone provide further information?

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
https://rugbynews.net.au/nsw-junior...tunity-players-outside-private-school-system/

There were a few GPS and CAS reps in that Sydney Rays team but maybe not flooding it with private school boys was a deliberate strategy. Or maybe the identification and recruiting happens earlier in QLD?

Saw an under 15A NSW GPS game last year and the standard was not as high as the Brisbane competition.

Questioning whether the QLD Red team was a 'best of' is irrelevant. It was the best QLD team and the best JGC team. Rarely is any rep team from a subjective view a 'best of' but this team was very close to it.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Hi Jim Happy New Year! Similar format to 2017, they have expanded the trial period to include some ISA schools with CAS. 2018 Draw available in GPS website http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/winter-sports/rugby/ 3rds still 7 round comp 1sts and 2nds 5 Round Looks like selections for association rep teams will be based on performance in the GPS/CAS/ISA trial matches

Thank you, AS. And a belated happy new year. That's just what i wanted!

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
https://rugbynews.net.au/nsw-junior...tunity-players-outside-private-school-system/

There were a few GPS and CAS reps in that Sydney Rays team but maybe not flooding it with private school boys was a deliberate strategy. Or maybe the identification and recruiting happens earlier in QLD?

Saw an under 15A NSW GPS game last year and the standard was not as high as the Brisbane competition.

Questioning whether the QLD Red team was a 'best of' is irrelevant. It was the best QLD team and the best JGC team. Rarely is any rep team from a subjective view a 'best of' but this team was very close to it.

Lol

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Have heard that Shore has revamped their rugby program for 2018 including the appointment of Rod Macqueen to their staff. Can anyone provide further information?
Correct. Much needed changes happening as a result of feedback from parents last year. Not many details being communicated as yet however Rod has taken a consulting role to the program and Rod Kafer will have some involvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Received this email today from ARU, Rugby AU or whatever they call themselves. A big tick to Raelene for pushing the button on this one can only assume it was her call as has happened very close to season start. Just wondering if the GPS system will be adopting this they seem to have an expectation that the schools will adopt this?

It's taken a kiwi and a women to see the light!

Rugby AU’s new Size for Age guidelines enable individual players to be moved into a different age group following an assessment of physical and personal development factors including height, weight, playing experience, fitness and maturity.

The current participation policy allows for a player to be moved across any one of four age grades (including their true age group, one age group below, or up to two age groups above their true age group).

From 2018, all Under 10 to Under 15 players deemed to be below or above an accepted height and weight range will now be subject to mandatory assessment by a qualified, independent Coach to determine which age bracket they are most suited to playing.

Prior to the introduction of these guidelines, there was no standardised approach to mandating the assessment of individual players for size and age dispensation.

The changes are being implemented in 2018 following an extensive research project conducted by Rugby Australia in partnership with Sydney Junior Rugby Union, Brumbies Rugby and the Australian Catholic University.

The study, which has been completed over a two-year period, found that weight alone was not a strong enough factor to consider moving a player up or down in age group.

The guidelines and the associated Coach Accreditation program, provide a clear process for coaches, team managers, Clubs, Schools and competition managers to follow in order to clarify the appropriate age grade for a participant deemed less or more physically developed than their age peers.

The Age Grade Dispensation Procedure is the mechanic that empowers Member Unions, School Conveners, Competition Managers and State Heads of Game Development to recommend or mandate players play in a specific age grade based on safety for either that participant or other participants.

It is important to stress that the safety of junior Rugby players takes priority over any team requirements, such as filling squads or winning games.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-for-juniors-and-seniors-20180215-h0w4v1.html

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Correct. Much needed changes happening as a result of feedback from parents last year. Not many details being communicated as yet however Rod has taken a consulting role to the program and Rod Kafer will have some involvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How marvellous - we get rid of the last of the Shore connection from the ARU/RA management only to find their high performance coach or whatever conflicted position Kafer holds getting his connections with the school, no doubt some contra for school fees. And we wonder why this sport is dying.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
How marvellous - we get rid of the last of the Shore connection from the ARU/RA management only to find their high performance coach or whatever conflicted position Kafer holds getting his connections with the school, no doubt some contra for school fees. And we wonder why this sport is dying.

Stupid post.

His kids don’t go to Shore.

Kafer’s job is to work with clubs and schools, at all levels, to co-ordinate an uplift of coaching skills and sharing of knowledge. In this capacity has been asked to help develop a skills program by Rod MacQueen, who also does not have kids at the school.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)

So it seems 10 from NSW GPS and 6 from CAS out of the ( presumably ) 50 jerseys across U16 NSW 1 and 2 last year

I would imagine there would be a fair number of boys from NSW Country , however , the numbers in representation across the two associations seems low compared to QLD U16’s where 90% plus of jerseys went to GPS and AIC players

And certainly in last year’s U15 JGC there was next to no level of representation from the GPS and CAS schools in the Sydney Rays team that got run over by QLD Red - which had a healthy number of GPS boys but was far from being a “best of” in what QLD had to offer in the age group

However the point being is that greater levels of representation from GPS Schools in junior pathways in QLD - compared to GPS and CAS schools in NSW seems to be the case and I wonder why that is ?

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)

I think you will find this years u16s nsw GPS players to be a very talented lot and the standard will be extremely high this year with several of the stars playing firsts this year. I really think this yrs nsw u16s schoolboys team will be one of the strongest teams NSW have had and making the squad will not be easy.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Stupid post.

Kafer’s job is to work with clubs and schools, at all levels, to co-ordinate an uplift of coaching skills and sharing of knowledge. In this capacity has been asked to help develop a skills program by Rod MacQueen, who also does not have kids at the school.
Precisely.
Clubs and schools - plural.
Just one more conflict of interest in oz rugby - who cares?
And one more conflict of interest for Kafer.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Precisely.
Clubs and schools - plural.
Just one more conflict of interest in oz rugby - who cares?
And one more conflict of interest for Kafer.

IS, I have Kafer as favourite to be the next CEO of Rugby Australia especially if Raelene stumbles. They will appoint him as he is from the 'rugby family'. Also by 'favourite' I don't mean he is my preference. I watch test matches on Channel 10 in preference to Foxtel so I don't have to listen to him.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS, I have Kafer as favourite to be the next CEO of Rugby Australia especially if Raelene stumbles. They will appoint him as he is from the 'rugby family'. Also by 'favourite' I don't mean he is my preference. I watch test matches on Channel 10 in preference to Foxtel so I don't have to listen to him.
Say it ain’t so!
Raelene is more likely to be tripped than to stumble.
I like him as an analyst but he’s clearly conflicted: funny that he doesn’t seek the direct on field role. Harder to hide.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@ Show and Go

Thanks for your reply - from what I can tell Kings seem to lead the field in this year's GPS 16's with Waverley and Knox flying the CAS Flag

Already looking forward to this year's National U16 Championships that should tell a lot come the end of September

Props rule

Frank Nicholson (4)
Got to love a countdown

Only 32 days until the GPS trials start (internals) and only 124 more days until round 1 starts!!! Comp only goes for 56 days including holidays.

Lots of time to talk and get sideline selections sorted in the 92 days from first trial to first comp game. Surely there has got to be a better way!!!!