• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I see Joeys play Auggies on May 12 ... might be one of the better pre-season games

I know Auggies have been good in this age group... and knocked off Joeys a few years back

plus they have 2 incumbent Aussie Schools players in Albert Hopoate and Max Douglas

although not sure why Stannies won ISA last year?

either way have pencilled that game down in the Calendar

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Stupid post.

His kids don’t go to Shore.

Kafer’s job is to work with clubs and schools, at all levels, to co-ordinate an uplift of coaching skills and sharing of knowledge. In this capacity has been asked to help develop a skills program by Rod MacQueen, who also does not have kids at the school.

Agreed. It was an ill informed post from a bitter old man who needs to move on.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
With 2 rounds of summer sport and Head of the River to go, Lindomner and One eyed pirate are counting the sleeps to the start of the trial season!

Thus far the key board warriors of G and G have drafted possible starting First XV line ups for Shore, Scots and Joeys for the 2018 season.

Would be great to see an update from other schools on who is returning to Firsts, who has arrived at the school and who is likely to be in the mix for the season ahead. Essentially who are the ones to watch during the trial season.

So come on everyone, especially if you support Kings, Newington, Riverview, TAS, High or Grammar. The value in this site is the sharing of information and the associated debate and banter. For those from Shore (last post #21), Scots (last post #55)or Joeys (last post #64)who have a different perspective to those already posted release your "inner selector"

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
As always, I have no idea what TAS will be like this year. There are a few more pre-season games - Kws ON 5 mAY, Grammar 12 may, CS (?) on 19 May, SGC (St Gregorys?) on 26 May. There is one irony in all this. I will be moving back to Armidale so will no longer be able to watch the Thirds apart from one match in Armidale. Oh for the days of regular Armidale games!

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
High have overhauled their coaching staff and have a stronger than average cohort of Year 11s and 12s coming through this season into the opens. I believe these age groups have frequently beaten their Grammar and TAS opponents over the years.

Optimistic, but still, am only expecting a couple of wins here and there at best this season.

I_Snap_Oars_For_A_Living

Bob McCowan (2)
From watching the Shore Rugby team train in this preseason and seeing the 1XV returners and 16A continuers the line up is looking stronger than ever. To be Honest I would not be surprised if these underdogs cause a major upset come first game against opposition. Just my 2 cents

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
From watching the Shore Rugby team train in this preseason and seeing the 1XV returners and 16A continuers the line up is looking stronger than ever. To be Honest I would not be surprised if these underdogs cause a major upset come first game against opposition. Just my 2 cents

"Take Shore as 'easybeats' at your peril" should be the mantra of the rest of the coaches.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I see Joeys play Auggies on May 12 . might be one of the better pre-season games

I know Auggies have been good in this age group. and knocked off Joeys a few years back

plus they have 2 incumbent Aussie Schools players in Albert Hopoate and Max Douglas

although not sure why Stannies won ISA last year?

either way have pencilled that game down in the Calendar

Scots play both Stannies and St Augustine pre season this year......as well as an enticing local derby against Waverley.
My sources tell me Waverley will be good again this year.
A bit more variety and interest with the Scots pre season trials this year.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Scots play both Stannies and St Augustine pre season this year..as well as an enticing local derby against Waverley.
My sources tell me Waverley will be good again this year.
A bit more variety and interest with the Scots pre season trials this year.

Interesting thought Wristy,

Remember not so long ago many GPS supporters were dead against a 1 round comp, and still are I assume, but your observation is very astute in that, if you beat these 3 schools and win the GPS comp, then Scots can more accurately claim to be the strongest school in the system.
In a home and away comp, much more difficult, and I certainly agree that the interest level is much higher imo!

Recon you will get great crowds for all these games.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Interesting thought Wristy,

Remember not so long ago many GPS supporters were dead against a 1 round comp, and still are I assume, but your observation is very astute in that, if you beat these 3 schools and win the GPS comp, then Scots can more accurately claim to be the strongest school in the system.
In a home and away comp, much more difficult, and I certainly agree that the interest level is much higher imo!

Recon you will get great crowds for all these games.

Wasn't thinking quite that presumptuously WLF.
Stannies and St Augustines a big unknown.
Scots will certainly be competitive again this year with 10 of last years team returning.
However the GPS competition has been close for many years now.
All of the top teams can beat each other on the day.
From what I hear Joeys appear to be the biggest threat to another Scots premiership this year.
They have their strongest team in recent years.
The June trial away at Joeys will be a terrific test.
We are fortunate to play them at home in the GPS competition itself.
Bring it on!
Is this Joeys season after 11 years in the wilderness?
Is this the year of a Shore revival perhaps?
What can the Shore faithful tell me.
And Azzurri what of Kings in 2018?
Who's feeling confident?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Wasn't thinking quite that presumptuously WLF.
Stannies and St Augustines a big unknown.
Scots will certainly be competitive again this year with 10 of last years team returning.
However the GPS competition has been close for many years now.
All of the top teams can beat each other on the day.
From what I hear Joeys appear to be the biggest threat to another Scots premiership this year.
They have their strongest team in recent years.
The June trial away at Joeys will be a terrific test.
We are fortunate to play them at home in the GPS competition itself.
Bring it on!
Who's feeling confident?

W,

I know you weren't being that presumptuous but you could make a good case if it were to happen.

I do believe the joeys team last year had a number of year 11 boys in it, so you would think this year will be stronger.
Perhaps there will be some strong indications in these trial games, eg Knox v Joeys and Kings, Waves v Auggies,Scots and Shore.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Bring it on!
Who's feeling confident?

Could be a very close competition. Make one mistake and your premiership year could be gone! Joeys beat Scots well in the trials last year but were well beaten in the main event. Joeys also were leading against Kings to then lose by 4.

On form and based on who is returning from all schools, no one should be underestimated.

Riverview would have at least 7 returning. Any update from View supporters?
Dont forget Newington! They usually have a few new starters. Any update from B and W?

First ISA/CAS/GPS trials 5 May; Scots v Stannies, Knox v Shore, Kings v Barker, Joeys v Auggies , Waverley v View, Newington v Oakhill.

My opinion "Match of the Round" Joeys V Auggies closely followed by Kings v Barker and Waverley v View.

Suspect CAS, ISA and GPS will be keenly checking their "form guides"

Will lodge my "footy tips" closer to the date :)

Rugby Season

Stan Wickham (3)
View will build their team around Dom Easy, Angus Bell and forwards such as Max Moore. Should cause problems for a number of sides this year.

My tips in order:

1. Scots - great forward pack returning, 2 new strong centres NRL contracted with Roosters I understand? - too good in each department;
  2. Kings - very strong again this year with great looseys at breakdown and playmaker in Minogue and pace at the back;
  3. Newington - Part of the 'Big 3' this year and hear they have a new fitness coach who was previously working at Joeys & was a NRL Referree coach. Also, some new faces with talent to burn - if their big men get fit, could eke their way to a premiership;
  4. Riverview - good base from last year - still smarting at loss in the last round which showed a lack of experience and maturity. Expect they will be harder & tougher this year. Big chance to beat Joeys (at Riverview) and Shore and may give the others a fright;
  5. Joeys - hear they will have an ok backline but not as quick and there is a query about their forward pack in size & experience according to possible side listed in this thread compared to other contenders - not this year unfortunately for them but I suppose never discount them;
  6. Shore - improvers with the ability to provide at least one shock particularly in early rounds.

S

SillyBilly

Can't believe $cots has 2 new NRL contracted centres - when are they going to give the rest of us a break!!!!!!!!!! Tell me its not true!!

Rugby Season

Stan Wickham (3)
Can't believe $cots has 2 new NRL contracted centres - when are they going to give the rest of us a break!!!!!!!!!! Tell me its not true!!
Only a rumour - not trying to stir things up. I will let someone from the school confirm or deny - if correct have heard they are very handy.

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)

They like the 5 new Waverley boys ,decided after a Friday night bebating round v scots. That it would be good to continue the friendship they struck up. So asked parents if ok to go. Parents agreeded and why wouldn't they due to the strong program they run.

Haha

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Welcome back C,

Still trolling.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

HB,

Very glad to hear from you.Spot on.

CNorth is very astute, hard to argue with because of his grasp of the English language.

I for 1 am embarrassed to say, but will confess, I don't know what bebating is!

Must be a special thing between Scots and Waverley!

CNorth, what does the C stand for?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
HB,

Very glad to hear from you.Spot on.

CNorth is very astute, hard to argue with because of his grasp of the English language.

I for 1 am embarrassed to say, but will confess, I don't know what bebating is!

Must be a special thing between Scots and Waverley!

CNorth, what does the C stand for?

Cindergarten? ;)