• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loose Carry

Peter Burge (5)
Me thinks they announce the official team after the game v Samoa.
Anyone help on this?

Each of the academy teams (including non-Schoolboys U18s) will play each other at the end of the season - the Australian Schoolboys will be selected after that. It is important to remember that there are many players eligible for Australian Schoolboys and U18s who were not eligible for the Barbarians team announced today. With that said, being picked in this 23 today is a great stepping stone. Good luck to them all!

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Unfortunately when the best rugby schools in QLD won't allow their players to compete, this competition doesn't really have a lot of credibility anymore.
Very good point, which is why rep sides should be done at the completion not in the middle of the season. I don't remember it being a major impact on the academics of the boys 20 years ago.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
In complete agreement with FairPlay and Balmain Stubbies, the competition is now hopelessly unrealistic in terms of presenting itself as a selection venue for the best schoolboy talent on offer.

The absence of key Queensland players, together with Western Australia shows the competition to be suspect. Yes, Western Australia may not be a powerhouse of Schoolboy Rugby, but it does produce the odd Australian Schoolboy every year.

As Balmain Stubbies points out, selection at the end of the season should be the preferred and most sensible policy.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Yes discussed on p99 of this thread. And as only 2 out of the QLD Academy squad of 36 participated at Riverview, the games in September will feature another group entirely from both states. With room for a few standouts from the Qld GPS Comp to be added to make up 46.

Given the AS and u18 squad starts a camp the day after the 22 September matches, it’s reasonable to assume it will be picked well before QLD Academy I play Generation Blue and QLD Academy II play the Brumbies.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I appreciate the answer, but jeez why can't we just have state vs state, the best players vs the best players in a proper Australian championship. Now we have to make it as complicated as the AGPS system with 3rds playing 2nds and such.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I appreciate the answer, but jeez why can't we just have state vs state, the best players vs the best players in a proper Australian championship. Now we have to make it as complicated as the AGPS system with 3rds playing 2nds and such.

Because the obfuscation and confusion in the competition makes it easier to deal with criticism. We always had a saying at work - "if you cant dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit...."

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
News from Newington 15s rugby/service learning tour of Tonga, Newington College def Tupou College 19-15.

Plenty of fencing done and friendships made.:)

Pig on the spit for Sunday dinner.:)

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
News from Newington 15s rugby/service learning tour of Tonga, Newington College def Tupou College 19-15.

Plenty of fencing done and friendships made.:)

Pig on the spit for Sunday dinner.:)

Hello QH

I presume you are tour with the boys and enjoying yourself. Its absolutely wonderful how Newington contributes to the development of this small Pacific Island.

I also hope that tour discovers some wonderful boys who will benefit by being invited to study as a students at Newington next year. If their good Rugby players that its even better. But the main purpose is to educate these boys, so may they return to Tonga and contribute to their nation's development.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Personally, in the SJC College Magazine of my final year at SJC there were 16 Seetos, 12 Chans, 8 Wongs and numerous other Asian names. The first Joeys 1st XV Asian player to win was P. Wong in 1965. The current 1st XV has a Chan. Joeys has had a strong relationship with PNG for 50 at least 90 years. You can go back through the 1st XV for many years and find Asian or PNG boys who played at a high level. Joeys does not simply rely on big, strong country boys, it relies on the "tradition".

corrected

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hello QH

I presume you are tour with the boys and enjoying yourself. Its absolutely wonderful how Newington contributes to the development of this small Pacific Island.

I also hope that tour discovers some wonderful boys who will benefit by being invited to study as a students at Newington next year. If their good Rugby players that its even better. But the main purpose is to educate these boys, so may they return to Tonga and contribute to their nation's development.

Hi B&W, unfortunately I'm not there but if you (or anyone else) are on instagram, you can look at some of the events.

For me the singing of the Tongan boys is amazing. Their choir wouldn't be out of place at the Vatican or Westminster Abbey.

https://www.instagram.com/nctours_official/

EDIT: Note that all current tours are on the site and they are a bit jumbled at times, but it's not hard to work out which ones are in Tonga, the Gold Coast, England or Cambodia.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Well said. In fact most of the boys who come over to Newington never play 1sts rugby or even in an A team. One of the boys in Year 12 last year won a Premier's Award for a DT project. When these boys go back to Tonga (before or after going on to university in Australia) they make a major contribution to society.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
corrected

Cheers for that. My access to the archives has been great this holidays with no students around to interrupt me.

I have looked in the College Magazine from 1929 and couldn't find any Chan, Chow, Seeto, Wongs but a number of Indian names though. Here are the boys working out in front of the College. Shades of North Korea.

66718425_467866480455556_6513568906567745536_n.jpg

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Cheers for that. My access to the archives has been great this holidays with no students around to interrupt me.

I have looked in the College Magazine from 1929 and couldn't find any Chan, Chow, Seeto, Wongs but a number of Indian names though. Here are the boys working out in front of the College. Shades of North Korea.

At times in Papal History, there was little differences between the Vatican or the Popes and the rule of the Kim family in North Korea. I refer particularly to Pope Alexander Vl who bought the Papacy and ran it like a personal feudal empire. So Pope Alexander would not out of place in modern day North Korea. Equally, the current Kim is expected to be treated like a God and lives a lavish lifestyle, just as Pope Alexander did. Back then, the Papacy was all about politics and controlling Europe. Nothing to do religion.

66718425_467866480455556_6513568906567745536_n.jpg

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Although only half time 2019 GPS and CAS rugby still living up to its "whoever wakes up on the right side of the bed" reputation from this season if Shore can take this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.