• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
In 1965 Newington came to Hunters Hill to play for the premiership. It was in the days of the old three point try, Joeys won 3-0 and were crowned champions. Crowd was about 15,000 according to those more knowledgeable than me. And yes, the place was packed.

I was there that day, having played in the 13As earlier against a much heavier Newington, a game we won 11-6. One of our tryscorers was our right winger Tony Boyd. In the 1stXV game my abiding memory was John O'Connor hurdling his opposite number to score the only try of the game, won 3-0 and securing Joeys the undefeated premiership. Scary to think that was 54 years ago.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I was there that day, having played in the 13As earlier against a much heavier Newington, a game we won 11-6. One of our tryscorers was our right winger Tony Boyd. In the 1stXV game my abiding memory was John O'Connor hurdling his opposite number to score the only try of the game, won 3-0 and securing Joeys the undefeated premiership. Scary to think that was 54 years ago.

Jeez that is quite an amazing recollection....

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
1994 Joeys won 1st and 2nd XV OUTRIGHT. Was there that day and it was the biggest crowd I have ever seen at the crowd. Must get those sprinklers looked at again..
Yes Joeys 1st XV won outright but they still tied with Shore 21-21......... I also believe 1994 was 100 years of Joeys Rugby but still couldn't workout how to set the sprinklers in all that time.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
378pe8.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

From what I saw last Saturday, any sprinkler malfunction would advantage Scots rather than Joeys. As can be seen from the Sidesteppa videos Newington played a wide game based on their backline while Scots were happy to graft through the forwards. From the results and match reports that we've seen Scots just keep grafting and have won at least two GPS games this year after trailing from most of the game. On Saturday Newington led for almost the whole game until Scots scored the try shown by Sidesteppa. Newington's style this year is very much like Joey's style of rugby and the ability of Scots to prevent the Newington backs getting quick ball in the 2nd half was key to the win. They might not be pretty but Scots are very effective and a very good rugby team.

So, ensure that the sprinklers are disconnected and get some heat lamps out to dry out SJC 1.

NINTCHDBPICT000439529446.jpg

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I was there that day, having played in the 13As earlier.......

And me, although I started out in the 13Qs having not played rugby before that year. My abiding memory, apart from the massive crowd, was the stylish play of the Newington fullback, Steve Finau. It was sad to read a few years ago Steve was doing it tough with some serious health problems. Maybe B&W can tell us a bit more about Steve's current situation.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Yep, I was there too and the sprinkler "malfunction" is amusing...to look back on. Time heals.
The last minute withdrawal of Australian schoolboy halfback Doug Bursill was a serious setback for the Scots team.
Yes Doug was a big loss but chicken pox is not great
Still the 3rd grade half back Gunning did well such short notice

Rumb dower

Bob McCowan (2)
On Saturday at Newington Scots second half tactics changed to physically holding up every Newington ball runner. If joeys attack the line upright like the Newington boys did they will be beaten. Scots are big and just tied up the game creating utter frustration in the second half.
Looks like sidestepa has the footage so just note how many times Newington boys ran up to try and collapse their own ball carrier.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
On Saturday at Newington Scots second half tactics changed to physically holding up every Newington ball runner. If joeys attack the line upright like the Newington boys did they will be beaten. Scots are big and just tied up the game creating utter frustration in the second half.
Looks like sidestepa has the footage so just note how many times Newington boys ran up to try and collapse their own ball carrier.
True, however Scots copied what Newington were doing in the first half, also the video on here of the New try was when the Scots 13 was off for ten for a high tackle. Once Scots stopped over committing they were able to restrict New creating the overlap. That New 14 whilst small was simply electric, is he in yr 12?

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
When was the last time Joeys secured undefeated premierships in all 3 top grades?
I think that's one for Joker to determine in The Archives
Certainly no school has won all three premierships in the same year since the 3rd XV comp restarted in 2012.
Scots and Joeys have won two out of three on a few occasions.

Year 1st XV 2nd XV 3rd XV
2012 NC, SJC, SJC
2013 NC/TSC, SJC, TAS
2014 TSC, TKS, SGS/TAS/TSC
2015 NC/TSC, SJC, SJC
2016 TSC, TSC, TAS
2017 TSC, TSC, SJC
2018 SJC/TKS, SJC, SIC

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And me, although I started out in the 13Qs having not played rugby before that year. My abiding memory, apart from the massive crowd, was the stylish play of the Newington fullback, Steve Finau. It was sad to read a few years ago Steve was doing it tough with some serious health problems. Maybe B&W can tell us a bit more about Steve's current situation.

Steve Finau is still going strong in Tonga. Each year when the 15s do a tour of Tonga they pay a visit to him and receive typical Tongan hospitality. This year was no exception.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

A very effective tactic by Scots and Newington should have adjusted and dropped their body height at contact.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)

Joeys preach from the Gospel of Body Height. They do not want to wrestle with the monsters of Balrog
Hit low, place back quick and go again. Give them no time to Scots to recover and swarm like goblins.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Joeys preach from the Gospel of Body Height. They do not want to wrestle with the monsters of Balrock
Hit low, place back quick and go again. Give them no time to Scots to recover and swarm like goblins.

Ha ha, by the way, swarming at the breakdown, like Goblins, will beat most teams!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
From the archives according to "Joker". Yes, my 6 month project from 2018

67820366_478321149410089_2746807271429242880_n.jpg

I bought my copy of the 150 years of Newington rugby book on the weekend. Plenty of fantastic stuff in there, some of which I'll relate after the season finishes.

One thing that I did pick up was that up to 1914 the GPS rugby was a 2 round home and away competition. Shortened presumably because of WW1 to one round and was never changed back until the demise of Grammar and High. I for one would love to see the 2 rounds come back for goo.

Status
Not open for further replies.