• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Dragon man I can answer that question the 47% of parents who have sons at New are smarter and work harder than the rest.

Well said and I fully agree, Rippa. It's not about the amount of money earned, but how parents spend it. My parents put me, my brother all through Newington as well as my sister(MLC Burwood) all at the same time. But in order to do that, both parents worked full-time and my father had a second job as a TAFE lecturer, teaching three times a week, after his day work. He rarely came home before 10.00 PM on those nights.

My parents never had expensive holidays, drove second hand cars and while we wanted for nothing and enjoyed a middle class life style, it was a humble and unpretentious existence.So they saved regularly and spent wisely. Such an existence is not uncommon at Newington and I have been told by a former Deputy Head of School, that 80% of parents both work to achieve attendance at Newington. A fact that the school is immensely proud of regarding its community and identity.

This is also in keeping with it's outlook that is egalitarian, inclusive, and accepts diversity. As a school Newington is less "Up Itself" and attracts a cliental that is down to Earth, pragmatic and lives in the real world. I am sure all schools have have such parents, but Newington more so. Joeys also have a somewhat similar outlook.

Dragon Man, Benjamin Disraeli a 19th Century British Prime Minister, once said that their are statistics, statistics and then dam lies. Your assessment is too heavy on statistics and lacks a human dimension to it. Its this human dimension, based on love for ones children, the desire to work hard and make financial sacrifices.This is the reason why parents are able to send their sons to Newington. I suspect ,however, this approach is not confined Newington, but each everyone of our GPS,CAS and ISA Schools.

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Welcome back one and all (except joker (kidding) ) to what will no doubt be another great year of rugby and banter ......... SBW Will Harris is a country boy to the BH crowd he hails from Northbridge, the year 10 boy you are referring to is Tyrone he’s a superstar in the making played a few games in the 16a”s last year and made the trip up from the Gaz (on the linen bus) for the last round on the bench for the firsts I believe, pound for pound the hardest tackler I’ve ever seen his partner in the centres Tyrell is just as formidable. The backline for Scots this year will be hotly contested, Aveyard, Rugless and Zuchiatti will all be back, add to that mix Clifton, Tyrone, Tyrrell and Seewah it’s going to be a strong line up in the 1sts and 2nds outside backs. Expect Mason lasts years full back to move to 10 which will free up a jersey. Scots backs will be stronger this year than last but I can’t see us filling the void left by Williams, Harris, both break aways and entire front row.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
For Rob....

2sq8wl.jpg

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
The backline for Scots this year will be hotly contested, Aveyard, Rugless and Zuchiatti will all be back, add to that mix Clifton, Tyrone, Tyrrell and Seewah it’s going to be a strong line up in the 1sts and 2nds outside backs. Expect Mason lasts years full back to move to 10 which will free up a jersey. Scots backs will be stronger this year than last but I can’t see us filling the void left by Williams, Harris, both break aways and entire front row.

Interesting mail ...if Tyrone is as good as they say... maybe Darcy Clifton should go back to playing as a loose forward? Think joeys pack is going to be the benchmark. Joeys backs will be slick but not overly big.

Shaping up as an interesting season... with the usual heavyweights and Shore in for the usual torrid season

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ps... Rob re the scots 10... I thought there was another Savala? Altgh maybe he is likely to be 2nds.

For what it’s worth I think half of scots problem in 2018 was that Savala was carrying a bad shoulder, and it was pretty well known

If there is no hooker ... maybe Clifton could try that... he strikes me as versatile... and I would def want him on the park

Oceans

Bob McCowan (2)
Ps. Rob re the scots 10. I thought there was another Savala? Altgh maybe he is likely to be 2nds.

For what it’s worth I think half of scots problem in 2018 was that Savala was carrying a bad shoulder, and it was pretty well known

If there is no hooker . maybe Clifton could try that. he strikes me as versatile. and I would def want him on the park

Agree with your suggestion for Clifton SDW. Would be dangerous there as a ball playing forward. The inside backs this year, particularly Kings and Newington, will be too slick to have lazy lateral defenders. Not sure I agree re the Joeys backs lacking size from what I’ve seen and heard, with the two centres likely to be Chan and O’Brien or even o’Kane who is 6ft 3” and playing NRL 18’s as an edge runner - so it’s hard to imagine any as big as these guys. The outside backs could come from the super strong 16’s group Joeys ran out last year. I saw them take Scots apart last season, and a few of them went on and played NSW 7’s (up an age group) at the nationals in December. Shaping up to be an outstanding year, with a fair chance the various GPS back lines cancel each other out and the games are decided by who turns up up front on the day. Kings look most ominous. Scots very dangerous (again). Newington potential world beaters. Joeys capable of something special.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Agree with your suggestion for Clifton SDW. Would be dangerous there as a ball playing forward. The inside backs this year, particularly Kings and Newington, will be too slick to have lazy lateral defenders. Not sure I agree re the Joeys backs lacking size from what I’ve seen and heard, with the two centres likely to be Chan and O’Brien or even o’Kane who is 6ft 3” and playing NRL 18’s as an edge runner - so it’s hard to imagine any as big as these guys. The outside backs could come from the super strong 16’s group Joeys ran out last year. I saw them take Scots apart last season, and a few of them went on and played NSW 7’s (up an age group) at the nationals in December. Shaping up to be an outstanding year, with a fair chance the various GPS back lines cancel each other out and the games are decided by who turns up up front on the day. Kings look most ominous. Scots very dangerous (again). Newington potential world beaters. Joeys capable of something special.

Although, I have rated Newington as a 4 or 5 on the premiership ladder, I feel Newington have the potential to be much stronger. As suggested by yourself their backs could prove to be lethal and some are returning from last year so they will have experience.

Kings, I believe have some exciting young backs as well. This is particularly important not just this year, but for 2020 as it be the 150th celebration of schoolboy Rugby being played in Australia. With Newington and Kings being those those first two. So I expect these schools are building up their strength for next year.

Oceans

Bob McCowan (2)
Although, I have rated Newington as a 4 or 5 on the premiership ladder, I feel Newington have the potential to be much stronger. As suggested by yourself their backs could prove to be lethal and some are returning from last year so they will have experience.

Kings, I believe have some exciting young backs as well. This is particularly important not just this year, but for 2020 as it be the 150th celebration of schoolboy Rugby being played in Australia. With Newington and Kings being those those first two. So I expect these schools are building up their strength for next year.

A very good point you raise Black & White about the 150th celebration in 2020. Serious impotous.

For Kings a big part of their success or otherwise will rest on where they play Sua'ali'i, which this season will presumably be at 15 or 13. The kid is a phenomenal talent, but the good teams will limit his space in the line, so maybe 15 with room is his best position?
Same goes for Newington’s prospects regarding where they play Weekes, with 10 being an exciting prospect (and where he plays an exceptional standard of league for Manly). Re Scots, my guess is that the Savala family name will start in the 10 again, with Hugo (whilst not as physically imposing as his older brother) more than his brother’s equal in terms of sheer toughness, and has double the game management ability; maybe even more than double. The mail is he has grown considerably over the break.

The other very interesting feature of this upcoming season is the potential for a record number of non Year 12 students to make GPS teams (including the 1’s). With the 2018 GPS President’s 16’s indomitable backline of Dominello (J), Fell (N), Penisini (K), Weekes (N), Jolliffe (J), Dowling (J) and Tolu (N) as good as admistrators reported they have ever seen. Big call, but it is undeniably a freakish cohort. As well, remembering that Sua'ali'i was playing GPS opens and if available for the 16’s would probably have played 15; meaning the exceptional Dowling would have been relocated in the halves somewhere, as he frankly can’t be left out.

How long until this all kicks off already????

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
A very good point you raise Black & White about the 150th celebration in 2020. Serious impotous.

For Kings a big part of their success or otherwise will rest on where they play Sua'ali'i, which this season will presumably be at 15 or 13. The kid is a phenomenal talent, but the good teams will limit his space in the line, so maybe 15 with room is his best position?
Same goes for Newington’s prospects regarding where they play Weekes, with 10 being an exciting prospect (and where he plays an exceptional standard of league for Manly). Re Scots, my guess is that the Savala family name will start in the 10 again, with Hugo (whilst not as physically imposing as his older brother) more than his brother’s equal in terms of sheer toughness, and has double the game management ability; maybe even more than double. The mail is he has grown considerably over the break.

The other very interesting feature of this upcoming season is the potential for a record number of non Year 12 students to make GPS teams (including the 1’s). With the 2018 GPS President’s 16’s indomitable backline of Dominello (J), Fell (N), Penisini (K), Weekes (N), Jolliffe (J), Dowling (J) and Tolu (N) as good as admistrators reported they have ever seen. Big call, but it is undeniably a freakish cohort. As well, remembering that Sua'ali'i was playing GPS opens and if available for the 16’s would probably have played 15; meaning the exceptional Dowling would have been relocated in the halves somewhere, as he frankly can’t be left out.

How long until this all kicks off already????

Hello Oceans, I believe the offical trials begin on the 4th of May. Quick Hands in his usual efficient manner, has produced a list of of who, is playing whom several posts back.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
St Joseph's College Rugby Calendar 2019

Trials
Mar 30 vs Marist Canbera (H)
May 04 v Barker and Oakhill (H)
May 11 v Knox and Aloysius (H)
May 18 v Waverley, SBHS and Grammar (A)
May 25 v Scots (A) 3rds v TAS (A)
Jun 01 v Kings, SBHS and Trinity (H) 3rds v SBHS (A)

GPS Rounds
Jun 15 ROUND 1 v Newington (A) 3rds v Shore (H)
Jun 22 ROUND 2 v Shore (H) 3rds v Grammar (H)
Jul 27 ROUND 3 v Riverview (H) 3rds v Riverview (H)
Aug 03 ROUND 4 v Kings (A) 3rds v Kings (A)
Aug 10 ROUND 5 v Scots (H) 3rds v Scots (H)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
My point was that if fees are the same why doesn't say, Shore and Newington have about the ranking? Are the parents of Grammar students really that much wealthier than the parents at Joeys (many of whom pay boarding fees which hare almost double the Grammar day boy only fees). I would assume you would need to be in the top 25% income earning quarter to pay approx. 32k a year of fees so how are the 47% of parents at New who are not in the top quarter affording the fees?

The top quartile are obviously far wealthier than you think and could probably afford to pay higher fees, whereas some of us have to make sacrifices.

Whilst I would never say that all statistics are 100% accurate, those rankings according to socio-economic advantage amongst the GPS schools have been fairly consistent for at least a decade. As socio-economic advantage is the most reliable indicator of academic performance, it's hardly surprising that state selective schools have parents on higher incomes that some GPS schools. Just because people are wealthy, it doesn't automatically follow that they will send their kids to a private school.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Pardon my ignorance but which schools still play first XV?

1st and 2nd XV competition (6 teams only)
St Joseph's College
Newington College
St Ignatius College
The Scots College
The Kings School
Sydney Church of England Grammar School (SHORE)

3rd XV competition (8 teams)
St Joseph's College
St Ignatius College
The Scots College
The Kings School
Sydney Church of England Grammar School (SHORE)
Sydney Boys High School (1st XV team)
Sydney Grammar School (1st XV team)
The Armidale School (1st XV team)

Newington College 3rd XV play in the 4th XV competition

Status
Not open for further replies.