• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
The School advised me: "Jim - the competition has started but TAS is not part of it this year due to the Sydney schools deciding not to travel to Armidale for the TAS home games due to COVID. All going well TAS will play their three GPS away games as non-comp games - v Scots on 22 August, v High on 29 August, v Joeys on 19 September. Of course all this could change at any time. The TAS teams are otherwise competing in a regional competition in Armidale and Tamworth which is deemed by all parties to be a safer option this year for all communities concerned. In line with restrictions, no spectators are permitted at any games."

Thanks for the update Jim and trust you are well. A shame regarding TAS in the competition this year, but three games better than none. I hope that by the time Round 7 comes around I can watch the boys play at Hunters Hill.

Big first round in the 3rd XV competition this Saturday as defending Champions Joeys take on the 2018 Champions Riverview at Riverview. No spectators of course.

Regards INP

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
A very special Old Boys’ Day at Northbridge in 2016.

Of that 2016 View side, Osborne (prop) is playing 1s for Uni, Rorke and Fenn are both playing League, and Terry (13) is playing 2s/3s for Uni

Not wrong. Think I am right in saying that was the last GPS win by Shore. Hopefully that wont stay the case too much longer.

Hancock also at Uni, think he was View as well

T

The Hammer

As we move closer to the start of the 3rd XV competition, I thought I could provide some insight into the lineup that Riverview is going to take into battle against the lads over the river in this early season Joeys vs Riverview fixture.

St Ignatius 3rd XV
1. Hamish Glascott (Year 11)
2. Rory Egan (Year 12)
3. Sam Phillip (12)
4. Sam Watson (11)
5. Louis Darylmple (11)
6. Nick Brooks (12)
7. Rex Collins (11)
8. George Coates (11)
9. Nick Long (11)
10. Charlie Brooks (11)
11. Luke Chesher (11)
12. Harry Spora (11)
13. Patrick Johnson (11)
14. Ashton Horgan (11)
15. William Burraston (11)

With a healthy amount of 11th graders in the squad, it could be signs of strong opens depth for years to come.

Anyone got some early word on the Joeys 3rd XV for this weekend?

Should be a cracker (as games between these two schools always are), however no spectators so the report on the clash between these two schoolboy titans will be merely word of mouth.

Hammer.

Disclaimer: Teams are speculative and based on previous weekends trial games. They are subject to change.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
From the Bowels of G&G, a Riverview Team list posted in the NSW AAGPS 2016 thread

Apparently 7 boys made NSWI or II , the most of any school. But none made it to Aus Schools or Baa Baas I dont think.

Team list for Riverview on Saturday from memory:
1. Frank Cutler
2. Will McClennan
3. Sam Williams
4. ?
5. Tom Silk
6. Charlie Rorke
7. Chris Scott
8. Michael Fenn
9. Will Grant
10. Tom Lenehan
11. Jake Pirina
12. Dom Easy
13. Will Terry (c)
14. Ollie Smeallie
15. Conor Fahey

T

The Hammer

From the Bowels of G&G, a Riverview Team list posted in the NSW AAGPS 2016 thread

Apparently 7 boys made NSWI or II , the most of any school. But none made it to Aus Schools or Baa Baas I dont think.

Team list for Riverview on Saturday from memory:
1. Frank Cutler
2. Will McClennan
3. Sam Williams
4. ?
5. Tom Silk
6. Charlie Rorke
7. Chris Scott
8. Michael Fenn
9. Will Grant
10. Tom Lenehan
11. Jake Pirina
12. Dom Easy
13. Will Terry (c)
14. Ollie Smeallie
15. Conor Fahey

I can confirm that the missing “number 4” is Jaxon Peterson.

Dom ChipnChase

Frank Row (1)
CC&C
Welcome to the forum, I notice you’re a new member.
I notice you made a reference to the Japanese general “Yamoto.” While I admire the attempt to liken the spirits of the brave Grammar boys, I hate to bring you crashing back down to earth with the news that General Yamamoto was killed in 1943 in Bougainville Island, Papua New Guinea - before the end of the conflict in the pacific. One would hope that the Grammar 1st [3rd] XV won’t suffer the same fate of a premature death.

Cordially,
TME

Dear Metre Eater.

While I hate to detract from schoolboy rugby discussion, I must point out that you are in fact thinking of general Yamamoto. In contrast, I was referring to the ethos of ‘Yamato’. It is a term used to describe the Japanese people, and was widely incorporated into their WW2 ideological propaganda to promote their perceived racial superiority as justification for their imperial project throughout the pacific.

I am not suggesting grammaticans possess this perception of racial superiority; rather, I meant to apply it in with regards to the resilience and courage with which they were possessed on Wiegall one as they battled their Newington opponents. I can think of many parallels between their style of footy and the fighting style of the Japanese in the pacific - ruthlessness, ferocity... random acts of cannibalism. One image that seared itself into my mind was the facial expression of their star front rower (Big Brumps) as the newington flanker urged Him to “f***en run it brah”

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Sincerely,
Cardinal Chip and Chase

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Not wrong. Think I am right in saying that was the last GPS win by Shore. Hopefully that wont stay the case too much longer.

Hancock also at Uni, think he was View as well
Yep, unfortunately the last competition win, a victory in trials over Newington in 2018. Current 16s are the best Shore has had in a while but the 2016 age group was strong and had a lot of trouble closing out games, probably due to confidence issues borne out of low expectations after lean years in the 1st XV. Hope they fulfil the promise they have shown.

T

The Hammer

Yep, unfortunately the last competition win, a victory in trials over Newington in 2018. Current 16s are the best Shore has had in a while but the 2016 age group was strong and had a lot of trouble closing out games, probably due to confidence issues borne out of low expectations after lean years in the 1st XV. Hope they fulfil the promise they have shown.

Couldn’t help but think about how spectacular an AAGPS competition with all teams being competitive would be.

If Grammar, SBHS and Shore can somehow become competitive at a 1st XV level, it truly would be an unreal competition, and cement GPS rugby as one of the premier schoolboy competitions throughout the whole of Australia.

Hammer.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

Hello "Up the Guts" I suspect Shore last win in the GPS was actually against View around 2016. In 2018 in the last game of the season an erratic Newington 1st XV beat Shore I think about 45-21. Erratic because their performance would vary from brilliant against the strongest of Opponents to miserable against ordinary opponents. They would have reduced Nostradamus to tears in trying to predict their performance.

I remember watching Shore beat Newington in 2017 at Stanmore, in a close high scoring preseason match. The referee blew full Time when Newington should have been given a scum on the Shore Line. But the Referee is right even when he is wrong.

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
Dear Metre Eater.

While I hate to detract from schoolboy rugby discussion, I must point out that you are in fact thinking of general Yamamoto. In contrast, I was referring to the ethos of ‘Yamato’. It is a term used to describe the Japanese people, and was widely incorporated into their WW2 ideological propaganda to promote their perceived racial superiority as justification for their imperial project throughout the pacific.

I am not suggesting grammaticans possess this perception of racial superiority; rather, I meant to apply it in with regards to the resilience and courage with which they were possessed on Wiegall one as they battled their Newington opponents. I can think of many parallels between their style of footy and the fighting style of the Japanese in the pacific - ruthlessness, ferocity. random acts of cannibalism. One image that seared itself into my mind was the facial expression of their star front rower (Big Brumps) as the newington flanker urged Him to “f***en run it brah”

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Sincerely,
Cardinal Chip and Chase

CC&C
Thank you for teaching me a valuable lesson. I will ensure that I am not so foolhardy in my future correspondence.

Couldn’t help but think about how spectacular an AAGPS competition with all teams being competitive would be.

If Grammar, SBHS and Shore can somehow become competitive at a 1st XV level, it truly would be an unreal competition, and cement GPS rugby as one of the premier schoolboy competitions throughout the whole of Australia.

Hammer.

Hammer, regarding the strength of the Shore outfit, I hear their new headmaster has taken a particular interest in the success of the rugby program, initiating a structural reshuffle of the coaches and coordinators. I am very much looking forward to seeing the outcome of these changes over the upcoming season.

Kind Regards,
TME

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hello "Up the Guts" I suspect Shore last win in the GPS was actually against View around 2016. In 2018 in the last game of the season an erratic Newington 1st XV beat Shore I think about 45-21. Erratic because their performance would vary from brilliant against the strongest of Opponents to miserable against ordinary opponents. They would have reduced Nostradamus to tears in trying to predict their performance.

I remember watching Shore beat Newington in 2017 at Stanmore, in a close high scoring preseason match. The referee blew full Time when Newington should have been given a scum on the Shore Line. But the Referee is right even when he is wrong.
Must have been 2017 they won the trial game against Newington.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

Hammer.

Over the last few years, there has been a lot of talk about developing a new divisional comp that groups 1sts team schools, and quite possibly by age group, performance/strength by school, and a relegation system that adjusts teams based on annual results.
That also includes a winner within those divisions of the existing associations, along with a an ultimate winner in each division.
ie the very best of each age group.
These divisions could go broad which may include the GPS,CAS,ISA etc schools.
Similar to the NZ schools format, and at last check NZ schools and seniors perform quite well.

Others thoughts.

set_play

Frank Row (1)
It seems it’s the day for new users, so I might as well throw my hat in the ring.

Does anyone have any details regarding whether games will be streamed online in the absence of crowds?

T

The Hammer

Over the last few years, there has been a lot of talk about developing a new divisional comp that groups 1sts team schools, and quite possibly by age group, performance/strength by school, and a relegation system that adjusts teams based on results.
That also includes a winner within those divisions of the existing associations, along with a an ultimate winner in each division.
Similar to the NZ schools format, and at last che h NZ schools and seniors perform quite well.

Others thoughts.

This could be dangerous

And by dangerous I mean for the All Blacks.

Would be a great idea if officials could get all schools to buy into it. Could see the best teams in In AAGPS playing the best sports high schools in Sydney. Could be an unreal spectacle and I dare say that it would even improve the grass roots as well as overall player retention.

If you have any articles talking about this, please share.

Hammer.

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
Over the last few years, there has been a lot of talk about developing a new divisional comp that groups 1sts team schools, and quite possibly by age group, performance/strength by school, and a relegation system that adjusts teams based on results.
Similar to the NZ schools format, and at last che h NZ schools and seniors perform quite well.

Others thoughts.

Evening Alias "WLF",

I believe the Joker has stated his thoughts strongly on not combining the GPS and CAS. Which are keeping them separate.

I do like the idea, yet these boys only have so much rugby and such little time on their hands. I feel as though there wouldn't be enough room to fit these competitions in.

Do not forget we do have Australian Schoolboys playing internationally, also never forget the broken 7 year drought against New Zealand.

If we were to adopt this how would you fit it in? Thoughts?

TDO.