• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
N7, it’s H

While shore were well underdone, i wouldn’t underestimate view, their pack looked mobile yet physical and their backs looked slick. In particular the 15.

As for Dowling at 10, he is a very capable footballer and would fit in anywhere in the Joeys backline, great ball player with good footwork to match his light feet. If I’m not mistaken, I believe he played 10 in the 16A’s so he is certainly no stranger to the position at a decent level of rugby.

Should be interesting, joeys by 5 is my prediction.

Hammer.

Hello Hammer,

Indeed Dowling is experienced at 10, captaining the 16As from that position. He will have no trouble slotting in there if Antico is out, and I don't think that will affect Joeys adversely. I would expect Maffey to move to fullback (he was in great form on the weekend with two tries) and probably Elias onto the right wing.

And you are right, Cressey at 15 for Riverview is indeed the player to watch with incredible acceleration and opportunistic flair. He cannot be underestimated. It's worth noting that he scored almost every Riverview point in the competition match against Joeys last year. It is sure to be a great match, but Cerise & Blue will prevail at Hunters Hill.

INP.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH, it's H

Was Suali playing or is he the one you are referring to when you say that the best player was running the tee?

If so, any word on when he will be back?

Hammer.

He was flawless running the kicking tee. No word on his return, but I wouldn't think that he would play a trial game so first GPS game would be his first game (assuming he plays at all).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I see it is Mark Philp. He did an excellent job at Shore turning around a couple of the problem teams 2 years ago. Was let go by Gordon in 2018 but by all accounts excellent with schoolboys.

Their 14A, 15A and 16A were all quite well skilled when I saw them a couple of weeks back. 13s looked a bit rough.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I was able to watch the Shore 16A vs ‘view.
It wasn’t a pretty score line for the shore side.

I was talking about the Grammar teams in that age group not Shore, I think that No 7 was indicating that the current Director of Rugby at Grammar used to work at Shore? But it may well be me that is mistaken. Anyway, I haven't seen Shore play this year and can't comment. I'll be there this week though.

If Shore lost the 16As to Riverview then that would go against the results of the past. Riverview have been the weakest school in the age group since Year 7 and Shore have been one of the better performers.

Mr Huge

Stan Wickham (3)
TME,
Particularly as Im hearing 4 or more 16s from view playing opens.

SC.

I think you'll find that many more than 4 of the Shore 16As are playing opens this season, this has been the strongest age group at shore since Y7 and has along with Newington has been the strongest in GPS in this age group

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I was talking about the Grammar teams in that age group not Shore, I think that No 7 was indicating that the current Director of Rugby at Grammar used to work at Shore?.
Correct. Mark Philp was at Shore for 2 years before Grammar. Did a really good job turning one team around in particular. Kids really enjoyed his coaching.

The try that Grammar scored just before half time against Scots was a cracker and showed really good game awareness. Good coaching based on the structure I saw them use.

Rugbyparent

Bob McCowan (2)
From what I am hearing - Shores prep has been a big light on...Athletics def took priority, and they have played no trial games at all. For most boys the weekend was the first time they had played since 2019. There is a new coach at 1st XV level, but he didn't start until toward the end of Term 2, post covid. Obviously many of the other schools were training seriously well before then. Both 1st and 2nd XV made a lot of changes during the games on the weekend - as they see the boys in diff combinations and positions. Hopefully they become more settled over the next few weeks!

Scrumcap

Stan Wickham (3)
I think you'll find that many more than 4 of the Shore 16As are playing opens this season, this has been the strongest age group at shore since Y7 and has along with Newington has been the strongest in GPS in this age group
Mr Huge,
I’ve been told Shore had 1 boy start in 2nds and played some 1s, and a few of the 16as backed up for 2nds. Apparently Shore 16as was the 15as apart from that. My source could be wrong though. I’m led to believe that view results in this age group over the years might have been different if some boys played in age group not year group. The example I was give was in u14s, the week before view got soundly beaten by Newington 60+, the following week had a number of boys play age group not year against Joeys and won 19-5. Joeys had a draw with Newington in that year.

SC.

T

The Hammer

It’s H,

Word out of lane cove is that many injured piggies are making a return this weekend for the big dance. Watch out joker!

Hammer.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
It’s H,

Word out of lane cove is that many injured piggies are making a return this weekend for the big dance. Watch out joker!

Hammer.

Joeys have lost their hooker Ben Wallace for the season with a broken ankle sustained in the last few minutes against Scots. Their scrum will suffer so the forwards battle will be interesting against View. Will be interesting also to see what happens to their backline - the prognosis for the No10 is not clear yet but even the best-case scenario would have him out for 2 weeks.

Scrumcap

Stan Wickham (3)
Joeys have lost their hooker Ben Wallace for the season with a broken ankle sustained in the last few minutes against Scots. Their scrum will suffer so the forwards battle will be interesting against View. Will be interesting also to see what happens to their backline - the prognosis for the No10 is not clear yet but even the best-case scenario would have him out for 2 weeks.
Ace,
One would think Joeys will replace Wallace with Paddy Burns. His ball running is a plus, a few not straights in the line out throws from last week will no doubt be addressed at training this week. Joeys won’t lose much there. Should be a cracker, Joeys by 7.
SC.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Ace,
One would think Joeys will replace Wallace with Paddy Burns.

A quality player indeed. Played NSW Under 15 last year (mind you along with another five Joeys boys) and he was a stand out. Good runner, can link well. Throw will need work but his work rate is high and his attitude is good. Plus he is from Trangie!

img

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
A quality player indeed. Played NSW Under 15 last year (mind you along with another five Joeys boys) and he was a stand out. Good runner, can link well. Throw will need work but his work rate is high and his attitude is good. Plus he is from Trangie!

img

struggles at scrum-time, that's the only concern. If you watched the Scots game you will have noticed he got popped first scrum. No doubt Joeys will be working on this aspect this week.

His Dad's a shore boy who saw the light!

T

The Hammer

img

Joker, it’s H

You wouldn’t have Carter Dombkins in there?

Hammer.

Scrumcap

Stan Wickham (3)

img

Joker,
I think Burns was U16 Gen Blue 1s hooker last year.

SC.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Both great players, but I agree with Hammer - I would have Domkins in there.

drum from HH is that Paddy Burns will wear No2 on saturday. Also the prognosis for Luca Antico is looking positive - hopeful he will be good for the 1st comp game on Sat week (v Kings at HH), although realistically it will probably be the 2nd comp game.

In the meantime it seems the temptation to move Dowling into No10 has been resisted, and Zac Hart (last week No12) will move in one spot and Jonny Chan will come up from the 2nds. He's the spitting image of his older brother Nick Chan who played 12 last year for Joeys, NSW and Australian Schools.

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)
Watched a Joeys 16A's game last year and can say both Paddy Burns and Jonny Chan look robust and they'll be able to adapt to the physicality and intensity of what will be a high quality match