• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2021

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joeys has actually produced 55 Wallabies
I spent the past month going through the official records.
Sorry I didn't do other schools.
The archives at Joeys threw up four other names, but these lads played for an Australian XV and not the Wallabies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Joeys has actually produced 55 Wallabies
I spent the past month going through the official records.
Sorry I didn't do other schools.
The archives at Joeys threw up four other names, but these lads played for an Australian XV and not the Wallabies.

Great achievement by Joeys. Do any other schools in the world come close.

Nudgee? Auckland Grammar (I googled that one, 50 All Blacks), Blackrock College

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
For example, in the period from the first Aust schools team in 1969 (not 1973) and carried your research into the 70s and 80s and early 90s you'd find that around 50% of the team came from state schools (sometimes more). This has fallen dramatically as the game has collapsed in the state school system and junior club competitions. Logic suggests that this will lead to an increase in boys from private schools making the team.

2006 also coincides with some fairly disastrous policies re juniors and schools from RA which have served to further concentrate rugby within the private schools system to the overall detriment of the game.

Interestingly, I reproduce the 1969 Australian Schoolboys team which toured South Africa.

Epping Boys - 5
Matraville - 1
Vaucluse Boys - 1
Hurlstone Ag - 2
Balgowlah Boys - 1
Brisbane High - 1
Scots - 3
Newington - 2
TAS - 2
Grammar - 1
Riverview -1
Shore - 1
Trinity 1
Barker - 1
Cranbrook - 1
Marist Ashgrove - 2

15 private v 11 state schools

EDIT: note 3 Scots and 2 Newington, but no Joeys or Kings.

7 Richard Allen Trinity Grammar School NSW
12 Robert Armstrong Epping Boys High School NSW
9 John Babister Sydney Grammar School NSW
6 Peter Bull Newington College NSW
12 Timothy Clementson Newington College NSW
4 Greg Cornelsen The Armidale School NSW
4 Alan Coutts Epping Boys High School NSW
15 Russell Fairfax Matraville High School NSW
1 Steven Finnane Vaucluse Boys High School NSW
8 Peter Fleming Marist College Ashgrove QLD
15 Peter Fosberg Epping Boys High School NSW
13 David Giles Hurlstone Ag High School NSW
5 Brian Hayward The Armidale School NSW
10 Jim Hindmarsh The Scots College NSW
2 Charlie Horder Shore School NSW
13 Malcolm Jack Balgowlah Boys High School NSW
11 Graham McPhail Brisbane State High School QLD
2 Sean Mooney Epping Boys High School NSW
5 Alistair Robinson Hurlstone Ag High School NSW10

(c) Peter Robinson Epping Boys High School NSW
14 Timothy Rowlands The Scots College NSW
3 Lou Slaughter The Scots College NSW
9 Andrew Strathopoulos Cranbrook School NSW
12 Ronald Taylor Barker College NSW
7 Timothy Wardle St Ignatius College NSW
Some impressive names there!
From memory (fading!) I don't think that Year 12 students were allowed to play in the trials for that squad.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Family, friends and many Riverview Old Boys farewelled Les "The Kirk" Kirkpatrick today, (a lot remotely due to distance and Covid safety), via online streaming.

He was a brilliant man, inspirational rugby coach, teacher and mentor. The Kirk taught at Riverview for 44 years before retiring in 2013. He coached the 'View 1st XV to GPS premierships in 1972, 1975 and 1980 and later had success coaching the Old Ignatian's Rugby Club 1st XV from 1985 - 1988 leading them from 3rd to 1st division. He was one of the first people requested at our reunions, had great yarns and will be missed by many.

Les Kirkpatrick - Stirring Words at Half Time, 1980.jpg

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
I knew it started 1970 ish. so it would be 33 years to 2006.

The stats definitely change for some post 2006.

I miss being able to visit California

HB; I know you posted this a while ago, but you are not missing anything in CA or in the 'States in general, it’s a circus over here, more so than usual. There are severe restrictions on usual haunts and where you can play-up this side of the Pacific, covid infections are common. Snow has been thin on the ground so far in Colorado (La Nina copping the blame) and there are plenty of exposed rocks on ski runs that are usually well buried. Election was well…interesting…. has certainly kept the media fed.

Joker; sounds like you may have come from the high country in southern NSW, a pretty area. We have some friends down there on the land. I stand corrected, but think the latest member of their family to make the Riverview 1st XV was Paul Roche in the 1996 side, you may know the family too..

17 Wallabies have been educated at Riverview so far. The first was appropriately named Ignatius O’Donnell in 1899 running on in Australia’s third ever test match, he is Wallaby No. 29. They played the British Isles at the SCG in front of 16,000 people. His brother Jack joined him later in the Wallabies, they became the first brothers to play in the same Wallabies test match. These boys came from Hillston, there is still an O’Donnell street in Hillston btw..

Our boys are focused on rowing at the moment, no doubt the thread will liven up after HOTR as rugby season comes into focus.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
. There are severe restrictions on usual haunts and where you can play-up this side of the Pacific, covid infections are common. Snow has been thin on the ground so far in Colorado (La Nina copping the blame) and there are plenty of exposed rocks on ski runs that are usually well buried.

All the snow is falling in Japan. If it wasn't for COVID they'd be having their best season for a while.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
HB; I know you posted this a while ago, but you are not missing anything in CA or in the 'States in general, it’s a circus over here, more so than usual.

The California I refereed to in that post is a Mythical Place in fact a Hotel that we are no longer permitted to go. Once there you could check out but Never leave. (due to the circular nature of the posts)

It was the Sporting Scholarships thread which the administrators of this great site have deemed too volatile and likely to incite Trump like hate, so has been closed along with the Israel Folau thread and the Politics thread.

As for the real America - well that does appear to be in a real mess at present. Hope it rights its self soon. Definitely my favorite place to holiday.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I think that the whole site will soon be going the way of the Scholarships thread.

Hello QH, I don't think you are wrong. As this site was loathed by some Newington supporters. The fact that you and I, virtually alone contributed to Green and Gold for Newington, bares testimony to such loathing.

These New supporters felt that G&G, was a virulent bastion of Anti-Newington Propaganda.That attracted undesirables, who would not be out of place at a Donald Trump rally.

Hope your boy continues with his Rugby, I believe he will be in the open division.

Brother Joseph

Frank Nicholson (4)
I can't see much success for Newington in the next season as my nephew has told me C. Holliday is already ruled out with a torn Achilles.

Bro Joe.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I can't see much success for Newington in the next season as my nephew has told me C. Holliday is already ruled out with a torn Achilles.

Bro Joe.

Hello Bro Joe
Hope you had a wonderful Xmas break and a happy new Year.

With any thing up to 12 players returning from last year's 1st XV, plus the added benefit, that they are now mainly a 17 year old team, last years result's could be a thing of the past. As I believe the potential for an improved performance, is certainly a real possibility. Remember, they represent a very talented age, group that was under defeated in 2017 as the 13As again in 2018 as the 14As, lost only one in the 2019 as 15As and again as last year's 16As, they only lost only one game.

This talent is further expressed as this 16s age group, won the Immediate GPS Athletics last year. Although, they will most certainly will be facing some predominantly powerful 18 year old teams. it is likely the gap they faced as 16year olds last year, will be narrowed this year.

It will be most interesting to see how much they have improved. At this level, improvement will not just be confined to playing skills, but a year of physical growth, increased personal confidence and the absorption of last year's experience into their team's cohesion. Additional benefits, will include the further development of their playing style and a knowledge they now know, the playing standards together with the physical effort, required of them to play 1st XV GPS Rugby. Some of these factors are unknown ingredients in a teams's development, as such they represent an element of unpredictability. So Bro Joe, I am more optimistic about Newington's player potential for 2021 and 2022.

I don't know C.Holiday, or his impact on New's performance. But he is but one player and Rugby is a team sport. I know New possess some raw talent, that could develop and cover his lost. For example few people expected last year's 16As to be as successful as they were. I believe most were drawn from the 15Bs and 15Cs of 2019. Yet they developed into a very lethal 16A side. Having only being beaten by a strong Shore side, who they beat in the preseason. The introduction of these 16As players, could prove to be an additional element, indeed a game changer for the depth and player ability this year.

Unfortunately, restrictions in the length of the playing season could be harmful, indeed devastating for team development.

Time will tell, but as a New Supporter I look forward to this wild card potential, with the hope that some more favoured sides are heading for potential ambushes again New and even Shore. Remember how in 2015 that New side was unrecognisable from the one that played in 2014. My prediction for the 2021 season is one that it will be a closer competition between all schools. So expect, some big efforts from both Shore and Newington, to to create a more level playing field in GPS Rugby.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hello GPS Observer

I must admit that I am bit out of touch with the Newington players, involving their names, Positions and Backgrounds due to the Pandemic.So if you could fill me in on C.Holliday, it would be deeply appreciated. For instance, I have never been aware, that a student could or would coach a senior team. Coach of the 1st V111 and still at school, unheard of in my experience.

Regards

Black & White

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
Hello GPS Observer

I must admit that I am bit out of touch with the Newington players, involving their names, Positions and Backgrounds due to the Pandemic.So if you could fill me in on C.Holliday, it would be deeply appreciated. For instance, I have never been aware, that a student could or would coach a senior team. Coach of the 1st V111 and still at school, unheard of in my experience.

Regards

Black & White

Hello Black & White,

He isnt a student, he is a young man, with good credentials, who is coaching the first VIII this year. Cant comment on what was said to Brother Joseph but C. Holliday is a coach not a student and a rower not a rugby player.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hello Black & White,

He isnt a student, he is a young man, with good credentials, who is coaching the first VIII this year. Cant comment on what was said to Brother Joseph but C. Holliday is a coach not a student and a rower not a rugby player.

Many thanks GPS, your efforts are deeply appreciate. As you have provided excellent clarity in this matter.