• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Just wondering if any current students or people in Sydney (I live in London these days) know anything about the form for this seasons GPS competition?

Which teams are favourites? Can Riverview finally win an outright premiership? Are any schools importing a GPS winning side? Will the GPS team rival their Queensland counterparts this year?

R

royboi

yupp i go the kings... well looking back at last season, riverview certainly dominated the comp and i have to say kings were pretty lucky to get the co-premiership. i dont know much about the other schools but in kings we are not importing any new players for our 1st xv side. in saying that, we have a lot of players now in year 12 that played in the 1st xv last year. so kings look pretty promising. but im sure riverview will be the favorites this year, but we will be the underdogs again :p :lmao:

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I hears Scots have got a pretty decent side this year. A fair few imports to bolster the ranks.

I also heard that Riverview lost to St Aloyisius in a trial! doesn't look good for them come GPS after that result.

Anyone interested in watching the action from the last few years GPS rugby check this great site on youtube set-up by a riverview student. All the video highlights

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeyRiverrocks1

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Joe Mac said:
I hears Scots have got a pretty decent side this year. A fair few imports to bolster the ranks.

I also heard that Riverview lost to St Aloyisius in a trial! doesn't look good for them come GPS after that result.

Anyone interested in watching the action from the last few years GPS rugby check this great site on youtube set-up by a riverview student. All the video highlights

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeyRiverrocks1

Only problem is that the cameraman never focuses on opposing team or everything they do is edited out!

TerryTate

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well being a Riverview student you think he would be creating highlight packages which focused on Riverview wouldn't you?

Good videos none the less encapsulates the great atmosphere of Schoolboy rugby.

Cyril Towers (30)
One shouldn't need any motivation to hate Riverview. But if one did, that would just about do it.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
That's a little bitter Topo,

I think the kid has done a great job, the best videos i have seen at schoolboy level, you will notice he did some videos for some other schools as well.

Does anyone have any updates on any of the trial games played in 2010?

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Joe Mac said:

I think the kid has done a great job, the best videos i have seen at schoolboy level, you will notice he did some videos for some other schools as well.

I notice that Scots had a fairly comprehensive win against Waverly on the weekend. Can't recall the score.
Shore play Knox, under lights, @ KG1 tonight- going over & will post score tomorrow.

Cyril Towers (30)
Joe Mac said:

Sorry, it's called the "Joeys reflex".

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Knox 17 defeated Shore 10 this evening @ Knox 1

A lot of dropped ball from both sides due to heavy dew on grass.
Both sides had their moments.

TerryTate

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Chosen said:

Who were the standouts Chosen?

Cyril Towers (30)
Joe Mac said:
So how are Joey's looking this year Topo?

No idea really. I hope they are better than last year. I don't mind if they lose a couple of games but I hear last year's mob weren't your traditional Joeys side. Poor discipline and maybe a bit big headed was the word. I can't imagine Boydey would let that happen 2 years in a row. Joeys are going through a bit of a transition as a school at the moment with a move away from all boarders to about a 50:50 day boy/boarder split. I suspect the change (although essential from the school's point of view) will harm their rugby.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
TerryTate said:
The Chosen said:

Who were the standouts Chosen?

Shore were solid but no real standouts.Shore pack outweighed by Knox and this showed close to line with Knox powering over from forward charges.

Shore had a couple of elusive backs who were difficult to drag down and if some of the passes had stuck they would have scored a couple more.
Knox appear to be experimenting a little with Hugh Alexander(brother of Wallaby,Ben) playing @ Hooker in lieu of usual No 7 and robust Jack Sullivan moved off wing into in-centre.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Joe Mac said:
Thanks Chosen... Have any other trials been played over the weekend?

Have just commened new thread CAS Rugby 2010. School Trials for 24/04 listed there. At this stage CAS teams form majority as their comp starts well before GPS.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Trials involving GPS Teams this coming Saturday(01/05) as per NSW Referees Appointments:

*Joeys vs Augustines
*Scotts vs TKS
*Oakhill vs Shore
*Grammar vs St.Andrews

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
St Josephs College 22 St Augustines College 35 Trial game

That was one of the best exhibitions I've ever seen by any school but unfortunately it wasn't by Joeys, the team I follow. I didn't see the BSHS team last year but this SAC team might have had a good chance of rolling them. Their only blemish? With the game easily won they relaxed and let Joeys in for two late tries to save a few blushes and to give the Joeys lads something to hold on to for when their comp starts in June.

To be fair: St Augustines had played earlier trial games and it was Joeys' first run. My pimply informant said SAC had played 8 matches but let's divide by 2 and say 4. Joeys had 3 guys missing, and SAC had fresh reserves running on in the 2nd half whereas Joeys just used reserves from the twos who had already played a game when players were injured ..... but still, it was magnificent rugby by the visitors.

There were a lot of CHS Schools and NSW Schools candidates in the SAC team and, if not, the standard of those two teams is going to be high this year. There may be a few Tahs Academy candidates too, and since St.Augustine's is just a punt or two away from Brookvale Oval, the Manly Sea Eagles' home ground, they will have a few pencilled in too.

Two years ago I saw giant LHP Salesi Manu from SAC push through the Joeys scrum and go into the Oz Schools team, then into the Tahs amateur Academy in 2009 and is starting with Manly in 1st Grade this year. Now they have another whopper with the 1 jersey: John Mokofisi, who gets around the park better than Salesi. Let's hope the Tahs had someone at the game. Then when he was off the ground another good big guy whose name wasn't in the programme came on. Needless to say their scrum was tough.

From the 2009 NSW Schools U16 team: 4 Rhys Dombkins, recruited from Hunter Sports High in the Newcastle area, and 12 Jack Purcell, had top games. My MOTM Purcell has everything to his game including a huge boot, breaking tackles at will and good goal kicking. 13 Malietoa Hingano was just as impressive and trouble every time he had the ball, and trouble to opponents if they had it.

A majority of the St. Augustine players were stand outs and few more so than Sam Vaka, a hard skills 6 player, and 10 Sam Brisby, who like 13 Hingano, was picked as a reserve for NSW Schools last year. If Brisby and Hingano don't make it in the NSW Schools run on team, nor 12 Purcell either, the guys who do get picked will be very good indeed.

Not too many Joeys lads shone on the day but more of them later in the season. They should be credited with never giving up at the end and even improving their scrum as the game went on against opponents who had dominated them earlier on.

There was a buzz at the ground after the game at the good rugby we had seen and there were many favourable comments by the Joeys faithful about the visitors who had just beaten their team in a trial for the second year in a row.

Cyril Towers (30)
Great write up, Lee. Fair play to SAC. Any win against Joeys is a good one and this sounded like a very good one indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.