• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rugbygirl

Newington will indeed be the team to beat again next year, although i think they might have a bit of a shock coming without Apo, Luani and Roach to run the show for them... They have some good players but none in the class to replace those 3, and in such influential positions, although there is still plenty of time for them to replenish their stocks before April!

With 10 back from the 1s, 8 back from the 2s and 5 NSW reps in premiership winning 16As, Newington has all the cattle it needs for 2011. The big questions is how do you get 3 rep front rowers - NSW 1s, NSW 17s and NSW 16s into one team ?? Good problem to have.

B

baldingwingforward

With 10 back from the 1s, 8 back from the 2s and 5 NSW reps in premiership winning 16As, Newington has all the cattle it needs for 2011. The big questions is how do you get 3 rep front rowers - NSW 1s, NSW 17s and NSW 16s into one team ?? Good problem to have.

Love your passion rugby girl! Having 8 back from the 2s isn't much of a factor as they got pumped by pretty much everyone bar Grammar.

Having that many props is certainly a good position to be in, but it won't win you a premiership. You can only push a metre and a half so its not like they can go around steaming other scrums anyway. Alan is a great player, the other two will struggle to assert themselves unless they get MUCH fitter. The scrum is important but just look at South Africa... Just because you have a decent scrum doesn't mean you will win. Or conversely look at Australia - their scrum is a laughing stock, yet they are still highly competitive because of the quality of other areas of the team.

For me - Your key figures in a side are 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 12, and 15. If you have quality in each of those jumpers, or certainly in the majority then you "should" do well.

For Newington, Baldwin is quality at 7, the 10 is ok but will look very different now that he can't pass it to Apo, but not sure of the quality in the rest of those numbers... Time will tell and a lot can happen in an off season.

A

Ageing Parent

Interesting to see a considerable number of Year 9/10 boys out at the SFS this motning, on their way to an ARU training / assessment camp down at the AIS this weekend. Most in U15's this year, from what I could see ( including Sydney & Country U15's, NSW Under 15's ( who played well to beat Qld U.15's recently) and others, some of whom appear to be at schools mentioned i previosu posts ( eg Riverview, Kings, Newington, Auggies & Alo's). There were some prretty big lads in the mix ( for U15's),. and if some of them will be in Yr 11 next year, wouldn't surpise to see some of these players floating into the Opens teams mentioned above - if their rugby continues to improve.
I understand that the camp is a national one - and that players are being "trucked in" from all over....so I hope the weather holds out for them !

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
"has newington brought in any new scolars for 2011 rugby season ? "

I imagine that if they had "brought in any scolars" it must be for the Newington league side, of which the existence is doubtful.

As for the Rugby side, we all know that Rugby players are gentlemen and scholars, and they are plentiful in all of these establishments, so not many need to be brought in.

(Almost embarrassed myself with a rather imaginative spelling of "existence"...one of the many dangers of trying to be a smartarse I am afraid...)

R

Rothschild

If it's any comparision there, I understand Nudgee have a whole lot of new lads from very northern communities to whom they are extending the palm of knowledge.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Baldingforward,

So can I conclude that the early bolters for next season are Newington and Riverview?

R

Rugbygirl

Love your passion rugby girl! Having 8 back from the 2s isn't much of a factor as they got pumped by pretty much everyone bar Grammar.

Having that many props is certainly a good position to be in, but it won't win you a premiership. You can only push a metre and a half so its not like they can go around steaming other scrums anyway. Alan is a great player, the other two will struggle to assert themselves unless they get MUCH fitter. The scrum is important but just look at South Africa... Just because you have a decent scrum doesn't mean you will win. Or conversely look at Australia - their scrum is a laughing stock, yet they are still highly competitive because of the quality of other areas of the team.

For me - Your key figures in a side are 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 12, and 15. If you have quality in each of those jumpers, or certainly in the majority then you "should" do well.

For Newington, Baldwin is quality at 7, the 10 is ok but will look very different now that he can't pass it to Apo, but not sure of the quality in the rest of those numbers... Time will tell and a lot can happen in an off season.

Notwithstanding the 2010 2nds results there are a three or four quality players in the 2nds who will step up in 2011 together with a similar number from the 16As.

The props might not win you a premiership but you can't win it without a strong front row. Newington's 2010 front row laid the foundation for the premiership and big Alan and Ezra were significant strike weapons.

Apo might be gone but Brogan Roods, possibly the most complete player of his generation, will be back for one more year as will McDonald, Vlahos and Roye from the backs.

Prior-Lees will take over at 8 from Luani and Baldwin and Vlahos are also back in the forwards.

All up that is the core of a bloody good team.

Add guys like Losseli, Penington, Ratcliffe, Vrachnas and Vea and New will be very competitive in 2011.

B

baldingwingforward

Apo might be gone but Brogan Roods, possibly the most complete player of his generation, will be back for one more year as will McDonald, Vlahos and Roye from the backs.

Prior-Lees will take over at 8 from Luani

Talk about setting a couple of blokes up for a fall... "the most complete player of his generation" WTF! He is not bad but he is not that good. That is a ridiculous statement. He is quick and big, but his hands are sometimes suspect, he doesn't look to pass, and he has a discipline problem. If he plays at 13 again, he is only going to be as good as the guys playing at 10 or 12 make him look.

As to Pryor Lees replacing Luani... That is like comparing Mark Chisholm to Victor Matfield! One is World Class the other struggles to hold is own at times...

Luani was SO dominant at GPS level this year (and not far off for Aus schools either) it was unbelievable. I saw Pryor Lees play a couple of times and also at the 16s Champs. He is ok but he is not a patch on Luani.

It is easy to play in side when you have a handful of really dominant players to lead the way. Take those dominant players out and often the players around them who you were thought were pretty good, suddenly don't look quite as capable as you thought they were... I have seen it happen so many times.

Good luck to Newington - it is refreshing that there is now another competitive team in the GPS, instead of it being between Kings, Joeys, and View every year, and Shore or Scots once in a blue moon.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Rugby Girl, im impressed with your knowledge of schoolboy rugby. Can I ask how you know so much about it? What is your connection to Newington?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Roods' girlfriend?

No - I'm just being silly. Rugbygirl has no obligation to answer the question, nor would she if she were a male.

Q

QuadeCooperFan

A very extensive knowledge of schoolboy rugby she has indeed. I had no idea Newington won the 16s comp this year!

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Of course nothing specific needs to be mentioned about your connection here. I was just curious if you have a professional affiliation with the school (ie are you a teacher).

Either way, good posts Rugbygirl. Who will the Newington's biggest hurdle next season

S

skullring

Of course nothing specific needs to be mentioned about your connection here. I was just curious if you have a professional affiliation with the school (ie are you a teacher).

Either way, good posts Rugbygirl. Who will the Newington's biggest hurdle next season
Please don't encourage the delusional and over emotional . "The most complete player of his generation". Oh Please... Spare me. Thank you

R

Rugbygirl

Please don't encourage the delusional and over emotional . "The most complete player of his generation". Oh Please... Spare me. Thank you

Roods is the stand out player in a stand out year at New - and has been since Year 7. And unlike a lot of boys who are big and quick at a young age, he's continued to improve as he gets older and has a very good rugby brain. Let's not forget he missed most of the under 15's season with a broken jaw. Last year, in year 10, he was selected in the 1s and did his shoulder early in the season. He missed all of the 2009 season and the early part of 2010 rehabilitating. Without him, New were very one dimensional early in 2010. Once he returned he proved to be the perfect foil for Apo, and made the GPS and NSW rep teams. Fully fit he is easily a match for the likes of Atkinson, Ingate and McCormick.

R

Rugbygirl

As to Pryor Lees replacing Luani... That is like comparing Mark Chisholm to Victor Matfield! One is World Class the other struggles to hold is own at times...

Luani was SO dominant at GPS level this year (and not far off for Aus schools either) it was unbelievable. I saw Pryor Lees play a couple of times and also at the 16s Champs. He is ok but he is not a patch on Luani.

It is easy to play in side when you have a handful of really dominant players to lead the way. Take those dominant players out and often the players around them who you were thought were pretty good, suddenly don't look quite as capable as you thought they were... I have seen it happen so many times.

Good luck to Newington - it is refreshing that there is now another competitive team in the GPS, instead of it being between Kings, Joeys, and View every year, and Shore or Scots once in a blue moon.

It took Luani 3 years in the 1s to really come in to his own. Comparing Prior-Lees in Year 10 to Luani (when he was in year 10) and its a fairly equal contest. Based on his performances this year, and the backrowers he kept in the New 2s, I've got no doubt that, as he gets older and stronger, he will be a major improver in 2011 and also in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.