1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Discussion in 'Schoolboy Rugby' started by joeys2012, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stack Attack Frank Row (1)

Great video well done to newington! Would have liked to see scots get joint premiership, i think they deserved it. Bring on 2013!
  2. Gristlechewer Charlie Fox (21)

3. random205 Bob McCowan (2)

completely agree. i counted 11 imports who have just come to the school in the last 2 years.. and thats not counting the 2nds who have roughly the same amount.. it is without doubt that this schools actions have ruined the inaugural GPS competition, that is for the years that they have indeed won, and it will be just be the same story come next year even though i believe they wont win it. without their imports, there is no way they could in any way stand a chance against the likes of view, and particularly joeys who have been hard done by particularly the newington team. the likes of oscar pryor lees, rohan o'reagan, matt hood and willie ahosivi are amoungst the obvious non-scholarship boys, and these players are by no means stand outs in any form, and on their own would not stand a chance against other GPS teams.
  4. Gristlechewer Charlie Fox (21)

Leave it be Gentlemen, Kicking a dead dog only serves yourself. Look forward with eagerness, not reflect with an angst that will annoy the shit out of you for however long you wish to carry it. If you have to, take it to the scholarship thread where the same dead dog will get the shit kicked out of him again!
  5. mark7 Stan Wickham (3)

Im surprised not to see Randell (TKS) in your list or not even a mention. at No 6 or 7 but 7 more likley
  6. Brian Westlake Arch Winning (36)

Why? The young man has done nothing wrong in my eyes, but as I said, in all the games I have seen this year I found him to be beaten on quite a few occasions. Kamp TSC beat everybody to the ball this year and will only get better. In the SJC vs TKS game at Kings Murphy, Goldie, Watts and O'Donohue made his life hell. He was cautioned twice for infringements and if he wasn't the skipper may have had a little rest.
    In saying this I like his fine line style of play. I am not sure about his injuries though. Two hand injuries through the year tend to tell me that he should battle the contests he can win. McCalman also assists as a good 6 should. Not too sure if Randall will get much bigger though.
  7. Sydneybra Banned

11 imports?? Oscar Pryor Lees, Will Ahosivi, Rohan O'Reagan, Olivier Damas, Ben Chahoud, Alan Latinipulu, Alex Vlahos, Ellis Abraham's and Matt Hood are all full paying students. That's 9 players not 4. You also said "the likes of oscar pryor lees, rohan o'reagan, matt hood and willie ahosivi are amoungst the obvious non-scholarship boys, and these players are by no means stand outs in any form". Are you joking?? All were in GPS teams and Matt Hood played for combined states in the national championships whilst Oscar Pryor Lees represented Australia in the Tonga test. Oscar was also the first boy to receive Triple colours, along with Lachlan Turner, since 1989 having played in the 1st XV for 3 years, Rowed in the 1st 8 for 2 years, was in the senior Athletics team for 2 years and n top of this was in representative GPS teams and crews for rowing and rugby.
    GPSrow and wreckless like this.
  8. random205 Bob McCowan (2)

hahaha rightio then mate, count 9 imports. ellis abraham is on a full scholarship and was brought in from newcastle in year 10. and as i quoted about opl, o'reagan, ahosivi, they are ridiculously overated and are not stand out players. yes they got selected for gps but in the 3rds or reserves which is not exactly spectacular. i agree that matt hood played for combined states and he is the only player out of that list that is actually a good player, but to say any of the others are good is a bit of a joke. oscar is not a deserved australian a schools player, he is only in there for his size, and as i have said multiple times before in my posts, size tends to get you very far at schoolboy level. i will be very surprised to see him next year in a high colts team or grade team as he will be singled out rightfully as players will have filled their sleeves just as he has done since year 10.
  9. Tight head Lion Guest

Best grounds. Joeys
    Best canteen. Scots Cafe
    Best pie. Shore
    Best coffee. Shore
    Best lunch spread for coaches. Shore
    Best post game spread. Kings
  10. supporter Sydney Middleton (9)

Random205 your post is reflecting how old you are. You should concentrate on your homework.
  11. wreckless Bob Loudon (25)

The guys you mention may be ridiculously over-rated by YOU - don't know what your credentials are to make such a statement so I'll respect your view. However - to use the old cliche - "a champion team will always beat a team of champions" and that is what these guys are - the Championship team! So just suck it up and have a good lie down - and have some respect for what these guys and their team have achieved.
    GPSrow and supporter like this.
  12. Lee Grant John Eales (66)

Gristlechewer - Ground? SJC and then? Spectator viewing? Iggys. Parking ? TKS.

Ground - Tick - right on top of the hill and it drains well.
    Viewing - Iggies? When it's not raining; otherwise you have to clean out to get a seat under cover.
    Parking - Kings? Half right - after the park you have to get out of the ground and onto Cumberland Highway. Took me over 30 minutes a couple of weeks ago, but at least I had a book with me. Been there before.
  13. Lee Grant John Eales (66)

PS- B Westlake that was a good team. Some people might have thought that you were selecting the best players including from rep games and what they did last year. You were selecting them on GPS games and I agree with most of your picks because I also watched all the Joeys games this year.

Others saw other teams players every week and you can understand why they could have a different opinion.

I'm glad that I am not the only one who reckons 2. Carolan is underrated. I think this lad is going to be a good senior player as he is going to be big enough and he has all the attributes of the position - and can switch to THP at the drop of a hat.

The Joeys front row this year is the best I can remember from any school, ever. 1. Robertson has a big future and he will be in the right stable at Sydney Uni to bring the best out of him. 3. Sandell? I would rather comment in 2013 when he is in year 12, but getting in an Oz Schools touring team as a THP in Yr.11 speaks for itself.

Agree with the remarks on Kellaway. I said last year that he looks like a young Matt Burke at the same age and the more I see of him the less I am willing to change my mind.

Agree also on Horwitz.
  14. GPSrow Watty Friend (18)

just an interesting query, as a newington supporter I'm interested in knowing how many 1st XV players that have been at the school since year 7 are in each individual GPS 1st XV, looking at the team lists there seems to be 3 or 4 in the Newington team, what about the other schools??
    DragonMan likes this.
  15. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

^^^^ Discussed to death on the Scholarship thread. Best to hunt over there.
    Lee Grant and Brian Westlake like this.
  16. DragonMan Ward Prentice (10)

The last Triple Colour winner at New before Lachie Turner was actually Jason Reilly in 1988. A Champion Swimmer, rugby player, athlete (shot put and sprints) and rower (rowed in Winning VIII). He was 105kgs and still ran the 100 in just over 10.5s. He ended up playing for the Qld Reds and in the Varsity Match for Cambridge and is now Rugby Master at Canberra Grammar.
    Lee Grant, Sydneybra and supporter like this.
  17. DragonMan Ward Prentice (10)

Should there also be a "best looking helpers" criteria for best BBQ and best canteen. If so, I nominate Scots. Can't beat the sight an Eastern suburbs milf to warm your cockles on a blustery Sydney morning
    Jenkins9876, GPSrow and Sydneybra like this.
  18. Wowsah Peter Burge (5)

Perhaps you need to work on your reading and comprehension skills and your mathematics too. There were 9 non-scholarship players listed which would result in at best 6 scholarship players (probably less) in the 1st XV. Having established that, Look at the schools reps from other schools, you don't whine about them because they didn't threaten. Scholarship players will not increase your chances of a premiership in the current comp. Look at Shore, a hugely competitive team that almost knocked Newington off.

Nobody here agrees with you so move on. I am quite sure that not one person who has followed season 2012 begrudges Newingtons fantastic success. Afterall, by your own words a team made up of a majority of very average players (OPL et al) won the comp!
    wreckless, GPSrow, Sydneybra and 2 others like this.
  19. Sydneybra Banned

Ellis played inside centre in 2010 alongside Tepai when he was in year 9 I remember watching almost all their games. He has been there since year 9. Oscar will keep getting bigger, all the talk about him only being good is kind of funny because size is a huge factor in rugby. I don't think, come a few years, there will be many men the size of Oscar in Colts and possibly the Shute Shield
    supporter and DragonMan like this.
  20. Freddo Frog Ward Prentice (10)

So who knows what height/weight OPL actually is? I know he's huge for a school boy but to say there won't be men his size in Colts/ SS got me wondering.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.